So.. Which in your opinion is the best expansion so far?

Which in your opinion is the best expansion so far?

• Shrouded Isles

Votes: 300 49.9%
  • Trials of Atlantis

Votes: 120 20.0%
  • Catacombs

Votes: 90 15.0%
  • Darkness Rising

Votes: 91 15.1%

• Total voters

Shike

Can't get enough of FH
Garok said:
Think alot of people are thinking more of the general atmosphere of the game (at the time) when voteing for SI over the others and not the actuall content.

Looking back on it now SI was a pretty poor expansion 2 worthless dungeon (ie items that were worse than Crafted items) and 1 epic one on a low respawn timer (12 hours).. and a 2 or 3 worth while quests... and thats it. Oh plus some vast spaces of land with no real transport links and no real reason to go there (drops encounters etc) and only one class that was excepted into RvR groups (at the time orc ¬¬!).

and at the same time we can twist it and say TOA was endless PVE, buggy endless PVE, tons of endless buggy PVE, overpowered abilitys (hi casters with 25% added damage and spellcastingspeed lol! + minicrocmode!), some more endless bugged PVE, articamping, mixed with some endless bugged PVE, some regular grinding for XPing artis under ridicilous conditions, some more PVE, bugged encounters, articamping, fights at articampingspots, huge raids that failed because of endless bugged PVE, etc etc..

you get the picture, not so odd that alot of people left over that crap. TOA was fun~ish first week or so, after that it was just a huge massive boring PVEfest. I nearly quit the game for a while there because of TOA, it was shite and SI never even made me think like that.

Madae

Fledgling Freddie
263 people voted for dr catas and toa... spot the pvers!

Oldleaf

Fledgling Freddie
After the Spellcraft/Alchemy patch the game was at his best, crafters happy even with 99% items, players happy, everyone could do a decent template for RvR, everone was prety equal. All the later patches with bonus on whathever from the later expansions only made the game harder to compete in RvR. Forced to do more PvE and many parts were to hard and in the end everyone was equal as before. And offcourse it made RvR just faster with + bonus on casting speed and so on, imo RvR was fast enough allready.

Kagato

Fledgling Freddie
Catacombs is easily the best expansion so far for one simple reason.

It did not fuck the game up, unlike every other expansion in the past which seriously unbalanced the game and screwed it up (anamist, savages, necros pre nerfs) they all needed serious work after to bring back into balance or correct bugs etc. Without even looking at the content it brought which again spoilt the game.

Compare that to DR which has brought alot of good pve and rvr changes, all low key but beneficial and fun.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
SI sucks

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo boring soloing PVE

And Avalon City is brutally wrist-slitting monotonos noob filled trauma

IMO all the expansion suck

Game got shit as soon as Darkness Falls came out

Either that my n00b bubble burst

Garok

Can't get enough of FH
Shike said:
I nearly quit the game for a while there because of TOA, it was shite and SI never even made me think like that.

Becuase there was nothing to it (as in essential conent) and apart from the one of the three epic dungoens you could get better gear from crafting.

Were as I can see why some people like ToA and other hated it. I can't see why people are so keen on SI (apart from it not altering the game). I always saw it more as a "could have been" expansion that was rushed out and never finnished.

I get you point though. Either you add to much or too little

Urgluf

Part of the furniture
Kagato said:

It did not fuck the game up, unlike every other expansion in the past which seriously unbalanced the game and screwed it up (anamist, savages, necros pre nerfs) they all needed serious work after to bring back into balance or correct bugs etc. Without even looking at the content it brought which again spoilt the game.

Compare that to DR which has brought alot of good pve and rvr changes, all low key but beneficial and fun.

Didnt cata bring vamps and warlocks?

OohhoO

Fledgling Freddie
DAoC was best with Classic + OF + DF IMHO.

I don't buy all this "games need expansions otherwise they'd get boring!" crap. How long did we all concentrate on our CLs? 1-2 weeks max on average? Geewiz!

Do we need dozens & dozens of empty zones which someone actually enters once every 6 months by mistake? No.

Does chess need a few new figures with insta-LT or other such lameness to stop it getting boring? No.

Does golf need a new ball to be invented which flies all the way from tee to hole to not be boring? No.

Do cars need a 5th, 6th & 7th wheel to avoid them getting boring? No.

All a load of baloney. It's about money not content.

knighthood

Fledgling Freddie
SI by far..
SI was enjoyable cos it was lol.

ToA for me, even tho i did likethe ML's sometimes, just too much, way too many super items and some over the top master lvl skills (ML9 Convoker anyone, or Banelords :p ). Kinda made everyone who was allready 2x more powerful than me, 4x.

Catacombs, i loved the leveling improvements gotta say that, i agree the classes were a bit stupid tho, and as for the graphics engine, well tbh it needed it, some disagree but when i look at classic models rather than cats i feel sick, yeah it didnt help for framerate and lag maybe but then thats also down to your PC.

Darkness rising... Well i havnt played it yet, got it installed tho but wont know for a week, but tbh im not sure what use itll be too me, i dunno how much champ lvls affect things..

But yeah, SI was probably my fave :)

Righthandof

Fledgling Freddie
Kagato said:

oh yea, warlocks, bainshees, vampiirs are soo balanced.. (especially when they came out, warlocks have been nerfed since than, bainshee nerf is on the way...)
its always the same, except 1 thing with cata: hibernia/midgard got 1 really op class, and a nice one too, while albion got 1 little crap... in the time of SI albion got reavers(nice rvr) and necros(nice pve)...

Numenor

Fledgling Freddie
Game was most fun in classic form for me, the environment just got too damn big imo and I miss the old leveling spots.

How deserted is Lyonesse now? Used to a lot of fun down there, lots and lots of people, crowded talkative, fun

(Of course it could be just that was the time my guild was most active and I had the good vibes)

adoNix

Can't get enough of FH
Si + DF for me :p

The adrenaline started pumping every time someone yelled "INC HIBS!"
Those were the best times in the game by far!

Dorin

Fledgling Freddie
1, si would have been good without bonedancer/savage, way-way lower respawn timer on dungeon mobs

2, toa would have been good without grapple, artifact camping/farming BULLSHIT, and much much more pvegrind stuff that made ppl greedy and hostile in their own realm... (new toys - abilities + casters becoming vialable were kinda cool, ofc not the 25% pbae on grappled tank stuffah:O)

3, catacombs would have been good without warlock, bainshee

4, dr useless rly, fluff-buff

next one just makes me laugh, minotaurs o0l0ol

oh and i absolutely hate new frontiers, old - school odin's was 300 times better :<

P

Pohan

SI - new classes, new races, new highlvl dungeon and its more directly linked to the original storyline than any of the others. sure there are balance issues but its hard to do anything w/o making those.

ToA - destroyed the game imo enough said

Cata - the new graphic were needed, otherwise i havnt used the areas that much except the insta dungeons which are only needed because of player shortage imo.

DR - nice to have heals on your Tank but Co5 was uncalled for. we dont need more PvE.

and why give all realms the same race ? isnt that going to inflict rvr targeting a whole lot ? anyways the concept of the new expansion seems a little twisted but i hope for the best to fill my time till WAR get out.

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
your missing the 2 free expansions! although i was playing irl while si-cata came out i still think i have a vailid responce

6-SI, i agree that theres nice new zones but quite boring, unless lvling a new char
5-NF, i like the porting!
4-Cata, the quest factor/insta dungeons
3-DR, probbly still got the wow factor about it, but i love the new abils
2-Housing, i love having a place i can call my own
1-TOA, massive expansions new zone new encounters, new abils

i must admit, i prefer the PvE aspect of this game, much better than the RvR action, due to peoples selfishness but lets not get into that...
also im still probbly recovering from 3 years out though

although if you ask me this question next year when LOTM comes out, that'll probbly be the worse expansion yet, my mind might change, and flip reverse my list

imo, the only reason why toa is at the top of my list is coz i dont rvr often, and thats due to toa, you cant get any where in RvR without a template, that wrecked the game for me, but i still love and play it?

but i couldn't move to glast... i just love ml-ing and doing artis... stange i know:p that coupled with the fact i would have to start again...

Righthandof

Fledgling Freddie
psyco said:
imo, the only reason why toa is at the top of my list is coz i dont rvr often, and thats due to toa, you cant get any where in RvR without a template, that wrecked the game for me, but i still love and play it?

how come you don't have a temp already if you enjoy the pve aspect of the game? i hate 98% of the pve, and still got a few decent toaed chars tbh, its not that bad.

Vermillon

One of Freddy's beloved
My opinion is that Daoc needed nothing more than SI. After that Mythic should had focus on class/realm balance without any new classes/abilities/mls. The big number of zones, quests and items splited the population around. The Old style xp disapeared (meet friends, get know of people-make new friends and enemies, make guild with these people). Just a notice, there was not a single strong guild that had been created by new people and lasted long enough to be remembered, after TOA came out. All good guild where formed by people that already knew the game or were reformations of older guilds. Guilds made by newcomers were 2nd and 3rd class in best case.
People just became too greede because there where so many things you needed to finish a character. No new people added to the game as a result, none had time o pay attention to new comers. Daoc basicaly relyed to the old payer base, and now Mythic stays at the corner wait for it to die.
With SI we had enough zones/items and quests, you could still find people almost in every zone. I can asure you, i was from the people that not only played rvr but wondered around the lands and meet many people. After TOA all you could see was people greed and farm items.

Vermillon

One of Freddy's beloved
What makes me realy sad and ungry some times is that, the "Daoc player" always had to wait for some bug fix/balance issue to be solved and Mythic never tried to reatch an end with those first, and THEN to move to expantions inorder to bring new things in the game. Everytime we had 1-2 things solved and 3-4 new buggy/need balance things introduced.

Shike

Can't get enough of FH
Vermillon said:
What makes me realy sad and ungry some times is that, the "Daoc player" always had to wait for some bug fix/balance issue to be solved and Mythic never tried to reatch an end with those first, and THEN to move to expantions inorder to bring new things in the game. Everytime we had 1-2 things solved and 3-4 new buggy/need balance things introduced.

well, we have been unfortunate in EU aswell, with long waiting for some patches with needed balancefixes etc, didnt really help with any of the problems u mention..

in essense, sounds like Mythic in a nutshell, 1 step forward, then 2 more backwards.

Moaning Myrtle

Fledgling Freddie
Urgluf said:
how can SI be the best expansion?

mids get savage and bonedancer? both classes have ruined and are ruining rvr as we speak!

OK...because we all see so many Savages in RVR now we can't move for them right? :eek7:

andree

Fledgling Freddie
Even if its not a real expansion... Darkness Falls!!! Had some of my best moments in this game there, too bad they made it totally worthless :/

Borodin

Fledgling Freddie
Just voted for ToA
Why? many will ask...
I joined with SI so as far as it goes, it was 'base game' to me therefore ruled out for this poll. It may well have been as important as others have said but I wasn't in-game before so can't judge it fairly. The poor transport links really pissed me off tho;)

ToA was the first Expansion I experienced.. whole new pve areas, new types of quests, new drops & Artifacts etc etc, I loved it. Yes , it did change the economy, so did Foundations, yes the new chars available were unbalanced.. find me anyone who thinks Whorelocks Bainshees or Tics ( Bonedancers, Friars, Animists etc etc( insert realm bias here)) were not as well.

DR added some fluff but no real content; as many have said Player controlled horses should have been done ages ago, a gfx update should always be free & TDs & Champ Lvl quest you can't get Champ XP from till you hit lvl 50 are a joke imo.As for removing the 10 min timer on porting in rvr? Why was there one in the first place?( tbh think that happened with a patch, but can't remember) Harware issues i wonder?
NF? I like it , the little I play RvR but ppl still moan, tower/keep takes etc seem to me to be a good addition, but that one was free ;)

So to sum up DR,mostly fluff & some needed fixes that should have been free..
As for Cata.. less bad than DR, but not to ToA quality.
Foundations? a lot of fuss about having somewhere to store items you may want to keep when your inv is full, worthy but at least free...
NF love it or hate it added new ways to get ganked in rvr & at least free
ToA the only expansion that actually added significantly to both pve & rvr, flawed, but a flawed gem.
So my overall ranking of the expansions I think of as such is:is
1 ToA
2 NF
3 Foundations
4 DR

Borodin

Fledgling Freddie
Just voted for ToA

Why? you may ask...

I joined with SI so it was 'base game' to me therefore ruled out for this poll. It may well have been as important as others have said but I wasn't in-game before so can't judge it fairly. The poor transport links really pissed me off tho;)

ToA was the first Expansion I experienced.. whole new pve areas, new types of quests, new drops & Artifacts etc etc, I loved it. Yes, it did change the economy, so did Foundations, yes the new chars available were unbalanced.. but hasn't that always been true? Testing only goes so far, gamers always seem more able to exploit stuff than beta-testers..

Cata Added some v nice pve areas & introduced 'Instances'. but they got the balance wrong in as much as the high lvl instances are too high (as are the areas they are in) for casual players.. kinda Sidi for the post SI generation. Cata Quests still the best way to lvl an alt in pve imo.

DR added some fluff but no real content; filled some glaring gaps in Artifacts with Champ weapons, otherwise as many have said: Player controlled horses should have been done ages ago, a gfx update should always be free. My own gripe:- Champ Lvl quest you can't get Champ XP from till you hit lvl 50 are a joke imo,esp when you can start Champ lvl Quest line at 30. TDs are nice, but the new Quests seem more productive. New porting options were nice tho, or was that a patch? As for unbalanced characters, see above. Just consider a whole revamp of RvR zones was free in NF,you may not agree with my view.. but that was more work imo.

NF? I like it, the little I play RvR. Ppl still moan, tower/keep takes etc seem to me to be a good addition, but that one was free ;) Added more 'playability' than most.

So to sum up:

DR. mostly fluff & some needed fixes that should have been free.

Cata. less bad than DR, but not really worth of a price tag.

Foundations. A lot of fuss about having somewhere to store items you may want to keep when your inv is full & CMs that got screwed up ... worthy but at least free...

NF love it or hate it, added new ways to get ganked in rvr & free

ToA the only expansion that actually added significantly to both pve & rvr, flawed, but a flawed gem.

So my overall ranking of expansions post SI is:

1 ToA
2 = NF
2 = Cata
4 Foundations
5 DR

Lets hope Labyrinth is more ToA than DR eh?

My thoughts while watching the clock tick round wondering when someone is gonna feed the GoA Gerbil ( i assume they can't afford a Hamster) & get the servers up again..or has Gerry the Gerbil found freedom & chewed through the power line to the Pentium$ clone running the servers?

<ponder>

Windwalka1

Fledgling Freddie
if u hate toa go to a classic server... oh no wait ull whine about not having FoP and arties >.<...

ToA made this game exciting forcing everyone to be somewhat individual with their templates etc, and each fight random...awesome

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom