So.. Which in your opinion is the best expansion so far?

Which in your opinion is the best expansion so far?

• Shrouded Isles

Votes: 300 49.9%
  • Trials of Atlantis

Votes: 120 20.0%
  • Catacombs

Votes: 90 15.0%
  • Darkness Rising

Votes: 91 15.1%

• Total voters

Andrilyn

Can't get enough of FH
DR, Only expansion that, atleast it seems, doesn't have any OP classes or abilities added to it.

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
Andrilyn said:
DR, Only expansion that, atleast it seems, doesn't have any OP classes or abilities added to it.
Also doesnt have anything else in it really.

Castus

Can't get enough of FH
I was hoping for something thta might extend the pve life of the game or enc me to get back into some pve grouping for longer than afew hours :(

Gazon

Fledgling Freddie
TOA. Even if it was badly done at first, without it this game would have been over and done long ago.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
old.Whoodoo said:
111 votes for SI, yet nothing really posted as to why...

It offered lots for those who wanted it, yet forced very little on those who didn't need it.

New classes were added, they were powerful but not quite as overpowered as some of the Catacombs classes. Savages were far too powerful at the time, but eventually got nerfed. Nice new classes appeal to those who like alts.

New items! Many of which only took a quest to do. It didn't force you to spend loads of time levelling the particular item, you just did the quest for what you needed. With spellcrafting introduced a few months earlier, it was fairly easy to sort a nice easy template without all that much hassle of super rare items.

Epic dungeons such as Caer Sidi. Given that spellcrafted items were just as good as some of the items, it didn't force everyone to farm the dungeon to compete against other players. It did offer a few nice glowing weapons, but nothing you couldn't replace.

It offered a wide variety of things (new classes, new lands, new items, new dungeons), which appealed to different aspects of the playerbase. Nobody mentions how SI forced everyone to exp, how it screwed up RvR, or that the classes instakill people. It's one of the things which Mythic did damn well on.

leviathane

Part of the furniture
SI was just the games best moment, managed to be able to go for an evening of pve in sidi followed by a spot of RvR, wasn't as elitism in rvr either at that stage, toa ruined the economy etc made si a pointless expansion drops wise etc.

Righthandof

Fledgling Freddie
my favorite is darkness rising, its really fun to do some nice interesting quests in cool instances, and overall they are good.. subclassing is fun too, great thing to get more utility to your beloved char without getting anyone too op.. just for plain fun. and also ive lead my first raid today(legion raid/cl quest[50]) where every1 was happy at the end.. ^^

and the least liked was toa, changed rvr too much in a bad way

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Fana said:
It doesnt give quite as much content as previous expansions but it is on the other hand cheaper
I bought 2 cata for £20 , 1 copy DR (cheapest i found) is £15. Nop not the cheapest
, alot more balanced, and less overwhealming. I wouldnt say it gives near nothing though.
class balance was going to happen anyway, new epics were going to happen anyway, the gfx update should have come with catacombs as said previously
You need DR to use the subclassing, which is nifty on cluster and very usefull for many classes on classic. Same with Champ weapons.
A new skin on a weapon, there are 1000+ other ones to choose from. I still use a ml10 malice combo as artifacts have a higher to-hit rate (shown on VN boards in tests by various people) so in reality champ weapons for melee classes are inferior to the ones that already exist.
The advanced mounts can go into the frontiers, are faster (and can carry more i think?) and look cooler (some of us enjoy fluff). The Champ quests are enjoyable and the best ive seen so far in the way of questing (the instances help alot to make them memorable).
mounts are overdue and should have been given free, its not as if mythic put any thought into them they just stole them from WOW. And tbh the gfx on them is far from impressive

so reiterating the point i made earlier, for £15 you get a horse (which you pay 15p for), and subclassing. A rather pathetic expansion imo

peder

Fledgling Freddie
very hards to decides??
i thinks mnay good
but you know the best is one weho you like
i mean i like si an ddr
si and dr is good

elbeek

Part of the furniture
peder said:
very hards to decides??
i thinks mnay good
i mean i like si an ddr
si and dr is good

WHAT THE FUCK?

Carter

Banned
ToA ofcourse, kept everyone busy for 3 months atleast. from all expansion TOA will always be the most populate pve zone.

Thegreatest

Fledgling Freddie
after playing WoW for a while I think they're all damn good...I just realise what kind of great game DAoC is after playing the other MMORPG's...

Celestino

Fledgling Freddie
old.Whoodoo said:
111 votes for SI, yet nothing really posted as to why...

u really are blind and deaf aren't you ? just read the earlier posts ... a few ppl gave opinions ...

Zdeath

Banned
peder said:
very hards to decides??
i thinks mnay good
i mean i like si an ddr
si and dr is good

Rup fa yew

Lejemorder

Fledgling Freddie
Chronictank said:
I bought 2 cata for £20 , 1 copy DR (cheapest i found) is £15. Nop not the cheapest

2xcata for £20 sound cheap, i gave $19 for my DR and $29 for cata.

Equador

Fledgling Freddie
In my humble opinion, I don't think you can vote for Darkness Rising yet because it hasn't been around very long and it's still difficult to determine what kind of impact it'll make on the long run.

The greatest expansion for me would be Trials of Atlantis. They implemented a very large amount of PvE, high-end PvE, included a lot of fancy quests, huge landscapes, artifacts all kinds of artifact encounters that need to be approached through a different angle, each and everyone adding a great amount of content to the game. But, as said before the crazy amount of bugs made people think less of what is actually a great expansion. Another problem was that certain artifacts were nearly impossible to attain, either do to the scrolls being incredibly expensive or the artifact itself, making them available to only a selected few. But I think Trials of Atlantis will reach a much better status once patch 1.81 kicks in due to the greater ease in which you can kit out several characters and not having to spend ages trying to get the artifact/scrolls.

This is just my humble little opinion though :)

Edit : Although I do have to say, Shrouded Isles was just brilliant as well, but I'll stop ranting now :p

Heta

Fledgling Freddie
ofc you can vote DR, log on with DR and you experienced it all :p

and for quite many of us DR been out for quite some time already

Dr_Evil

Fledgling Freddie
Not really sure what to vote, all of them were great imo, but none were perfect for all and that is impossible. So I vote Catacombs for the graphics. Although there's a lot of good graphics with DR (Jordheim etc), I don't like the new demon models, the old ones just were A LOT scarier and didn't look like cartoons at all. Cartoon graphics = bad. The main reason I never tried WoW is because of the STUPID (cartoon) graphics, it just makes it so less appealing to me. Ofc the other reason is because WoW has nothing to do with vikings etc, also why DAOC is perfect for me. But if an expansion comes to DAOC where everything looks cartoonish like WoW, it's the day I quit, no matter how good the game has become.

ceixava

Fledgling Freddie
SI was the best expansion content wise, add in spellcrafting and you have the game in its peak.

ToA wasnt fun at start, but now i cant imagine playing without toa stuff, it just added so much usable stuff to characters, sure it was a pain but allows alot of different sets and abilities. Everyones set isnt the same anymore.

Ashala

One of Freddy's beloved
ceixava said:
SI was the best expansion content wise, add in spellcrafting and you have the game in its peak.

ToA wasnt fun at start, but now i cant imagine playing without toa stuff, it just added so much usable stuff to characters, sure it was a pain but allows alot of different sets and abilities. Everyones set isnt the same anymore.

tho to start with people were whining about spellcrafting and saying all other items would now be worthless, which is more or less correct :)

anyways give SI2.....but not a Necromancer2 :(

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Cirventhor said:
Where did you find 2xcata for £20 Chron?
play.com a while ago, they dont sell cata as a single copy anymore tho only the pack (original+3 expansions), or i think it was a german site a friend recommended i'll ask for the address next time i see him (cant remember if that was toa/cata :s)

Glacier

Fledgling Freddie
Shrouded Isles:
Gave us Savages; Who any random nub could exploit and get high rr easily.
Gave us Bonedancers; Easymode for soloing, has turned out to be Mr.Interrupt after ToA.
Sc and Alchemy; ''Im lovin' it.''

ToA:
Made us: Spend 3x the time on one char to get it set for RvR.
Gave us: Tons of new abilities that would rule the scene of RvR, and each have their time of OP'ess, and being nerfed/changed back and forth (apart from stormlord ;d).

Catacombs:
Gave us: More questing, new items, and some sick fcking pathetic joke of a class. (Yes, lets give a caster class Tireless at level 5 [Where other melee classes get it at level 15, and casters usually dont get this.] And put CON as it's secondary stat! we wouldnt want the warlock to die in melee now would we?.. OH lets also give him access to Banelord, powerless spreadheal, UNBREAKABLE snare, 2/3 chambered nukes wich delve for more than any of the other classes, and what the heck, lets give him uninterruptables just incase he feels threatened.. and just throw in a nearsight.. just in case he should feel threatened by a caster..)

Hm, this turned in to a warlock whine again didnt it ;| well.. it isnt the first, wont be the last.

Best Expansion so far IMO: Shrouded Isles.

Reika

Fledgling Freddie
For me its a choice between Catacombs & DR. SI and TOA came with the game when I bought it so they don't feel like an expansion.

Catacombs wins for me as it makes leveling easier. Also introduced Vamps which I really like playing. DR is alright and I like the mounts, but there doesn't seem to be much new content. The new look captials are also a nightmare for my lowly PC.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
im sure SC and alchemy came out like a week before SI though :p

(unless my memory is fuzzy :p )

E

Efour

SI wins hands down with bells on

it was such a jump graphicaly to daoc i shit the bed and rushed out to buy the top of the range radeon 9700 pro gfx card, set me back about 320 quid.

But i remmember my cloak looked a bit odd so i sent it back after ripping a ram sink off :)

TOA i have visited for about 16 minutes and it looked shite boring but i guess it gave us NF and ships which where deffinatley needed, so sick of old emain mg camping. :twak:

Catacombs made the PvE experiance a complete joke and made grouping almost obsolete. :sex:

DR - well it makes crafting classes even more obsolete than TOA - i cant see how weapon merchants or fletchers survive anymore? Also a boost to the soloist pvper, at least on classic servers. Im not sure what use those champ skills are to anyone with a buffbot. :wanker:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom