WTF? So this plane that's 'disappeared'...

Embattle

FH is my second home
I wish they would actually shut up about it until they get actual information, like the plane or a piece of it.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
"The news" these days have to latch on to something to fill their 24h broadcasts.

Chilly

Balls of steel
Those clever immarsat boys used some nifty physics to work out the plane is deffo in the drink.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
I find it strange it took this for them to find out they could track with more accuracy.
You would have thought they would be pushing the boundaries of the equipment and software allready.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Well, it sure will be interesting to see what that black box has to say. Here's hoping that the pilot (or anyone else on the plane) didn't deliberately cause it.. The airports are paranoid enough as it is.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Well, it sure will be interesting to see what that black box has to say. Here's hoping that the pilot (or anyone else on the plane) didn't deliberately cause it.. The airports are paranoid enough as it is.

If they ever find it.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Somebody will. Malaysia might give up but China and Australia will find it if somebody else doesn't. It took them two years to find and recover the black box from Air France 447.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Somebody will. Malaysia might give up but China and Australia will find it if somebody else doesn't. It took them two years to find and recover the black box from Air France 447.

Yep, I suspect Boeing will be quite keen to find it to ensure it wasn't a fault with the plane too.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Latest industry rumour on this aircraft:

This was an elaborate robbery. There was undisclosed container on-board with valuable items. One of flight crew stepped out and the other intentionally decompressed the aircraft and then flew the aircraft until parachuting out.

The inmarsat story over the past few days stating that Lat/long are not transmitted is completely wrong, they knew exactly where it was (flight track). The security services instructed them not to say anything to the press.

Embattle

FH is my second home

It would be hard enough to find them now because of the limitations to detect the ping especially if they are very deep and that is even if they can narrow down the search area, then those pings will stop all together in the next 15 or so days and fall silent after which the amount of luck required to find them will be absolutely massive.

Embattle

FH is my second home

This was an elaborate robbery. There was undisclosed container on-board with valuable items. One of flight crew stepped out and the other intentionally decompressed the aircraft and then flew the aircraft until parachuting out.

The inmarsat story over the past few days stating that Lat/long are not transmitted is completely wrong, they knew exactly where it was (flight track). The security services instructed them not to say anything to the press.

Some form of that story has been doing the rounds in slightly different versions since the early days of it going missing, personally I just think it a load of old tosh.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
"A BBC Guide"

So take with a rather large pinch of salt.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin

tbh. yesterday over coffees I had a discussion on the posibility of it being stolen by some oddball country.

close enough I guess. plane freight lists are bits of paper tbh...it's what's actually IN the plane that counts!

Tom

I am a FH squatter
It would be hard enough to find them now because of the limitations to detect the ping especially if they are very deep and that is even if they can narrow down the search area, then those pings will stop all together in the next 15 or so days and fall silent after which the amount of luck required to find them will be absolutely massive.

I'm no expert but isn't it possible to detect large objects like parts of a fuselage or wing with sonar?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
indeed chumbacon, but tbh you're going to have to need either a lot of time or a fairly good idea where to be scanning. you have to me even more precise with things like MAD imaging and such.

Embattle

FH is my second home
I'm no expert but isn't it possible to detect large objects like parts of a fuselage or wing with sonar?

I guess it depends on a number of factors like the impact with the sea and thus the condition of those parts, where they are, etc.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Further info -

After the aircraft was decompressed at 45,000 ft, killing all onboard, with exception of one or both flight crew. Cabin Oxygen mask system would have been disabled. The aircraft was landed (they know where) and the precious cargo was removed. The aircraft then took off again, put on autopilot with one engine switched off. Presumably the flight crew bailed out and parachuted down shortly after takeoff. Rumour is the cargo was precious gems, diamonds or something similar.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Some form of that story has been doing the rounds in slightly different versions since the early days of it going missing, personally I just think it a load of old tosh.
It could well be but it does make sense of why it changed course. Also why Imarsat/ARINC did not divulge that they knew exactly where it was and had the tracking information. Basically, they were looking for the people responsible and did not want news agencies getting the information.

Exioce

Part of the furniture
Great article 5 years on in The Atlantic this month:
What Really Happened to Malaysia’s Missing Airplane
64635465_407154043218132_3824592802843459584_n.png

It was pilot suicide
Fuck me there was some bullshit in this thread :twak:

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Not sure the article is that correct either, but it is very easy to look back. Fact was at the time no one really knew and there were loads of rumours going around. The Inmarsat stuff about measuring ping latency to try an locate it is BS. It happens by default as part of a QoS measurement but they also get Lat Long from the system which is how it can actually point at a satellite accurately. That data is sent to the ground anlong with basic log data like MODCOD (Codec compression used), Signal Power EIRP (Rx & Tx Signal Strength Db). The system on board uses a Map and Option File with setting for satellite position, Hunt Frequencies and is basically how the system can point using its known position from the aircrafts Inertial Nav System (LINS on B777). If it was connected to a satellite they knew the position, end of.

Also not heard anyone call the Transpondar data request secondary radar in about 20 years :)

Job

So..youre saying they either has good location or non at all.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
So..youre saying they either has good location or non at all.
They state in the article that it was connected (Sat), therefore had position. Even periodically connected would give position data.

Job

But inmarsat is 36,000km up, it cant be that accurate simply by pointing.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
But inmarsat is 36,000km up, it cant be that accurate simply by pointing.
The aircrafts INS gives position data to the Antenna so it knows where to point (parabolic mechanical) or electrically steer the beam. That same INS data is transmitted as part of the modem data along with signal power, SNR....

Without the INS the Antenna does not know where to point so cannot connect. Basic geometry it cant point if it does not know where it is. It cant Transmit without affecting other satellites so wont transmit unless it has position data.

Exioce

Part of the furniture
More importantly, have we all learned our lesson about spreading nonsense on internet forums?
No

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom