WTF? So this plane that's 'disappeared'...

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Small world, I worked on the Head Up Display and Multifunction display for EFA. Spent some time up at Warton (BAe MAD) testing it out.

Canard Foreplanes. Last thing I was involved with before I left. Hawk and AV-8B/GR5 before that.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Canard Foreplanes. Last thing I was involved with before I left. Hawk and AV-8B/GR5 before that.
Worked Hawk 102/103/203 even did stints in Oman and Abu Dhabi as in Country Support Manager. Fun times. Also Night attack mods to Av-8B/GR5 and FRS2. :)

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
a9dD7EZ_700b.jpg

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I just read a theory on the Guardian's website. A pilot reckons that most pilots know all the landing strips en route, so that in case of emergency, you're not thinking "what should I do" but "this one is closest, I'll go there". He theorised that there may have been a fire or loss of oxygen, and that the pilot made a hard left, straight for the nearest airfield. Following which, everyone lost conciousness and the aircraft just continued until it ran out of fuel, somewhere above the Indian Ocean.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
BTW I love all the memes about us not being able to find a "huge" aircraft like this. They conveniently forget that on a human scale, the Earth is still a fucking massive place, and that most of it is entirely uninhabited.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
That was the reasoning behind my facepalm. The earth is a pretty big place and satellite coverage over large parts of it is scarce to non-existent. Of course "they" could know exactly where the plane is but it's certainly not unlikely that "they" don't.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Erg, Reddit. Summarise please. I clicked the link and my eye immediately started to bleed due to the 1990s layout.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
It's the first post. :\
This author completely ignores all pieces of data that don't fit his theory.

He has no explanation for the Malaysian primary radar picking up several more "evasive" turns that the plane made. His theoretical flight path is also not anywhere near the arcs where the plane made its last satellite "ping."

Really surprising that Wired published this conjecture simply because the author was a pilot.
Also
The pieces of data that the author used to stitch together his mosaic of conjecture are unconfirmed as well it would seem. I'm a big proponent of Occam's Razor and the simplest answer being the most likely.

This theory isn't "startlingly simple." No 777 has experienced an electrical fire of this type in over 18,000,000 combined hours of flight. And what are the odds that this electrical fire manages to bring down two separate and redundant communications systems, but doesn't affect any of the electric systems required for autopilot navigation?

I'm just an armchair internet QB like the rest of us, but there's a reason why the official search for MH370 is not considering this theory.

Also
The flight path was proven to be reprogrammed via info from ACARS, which later was turned off. That kills this theory.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
What? How is that debunking anything?

"This author completely ignores all pieces of data that don't fit his theory.

He has no explanation for the Malaysian primary radar picking up several more "evasive" turns that the plane made. His theoretical flight path is also not anywhere near the arcs where the plane made its last satellite "ping."

Really surprising that Wired published this conjecture simply because the author was a pilot."

Then a bunch of waffle about people not liking wired. Then some more posting. Honestly. The whole site is a massive clusterfuck, you have to wade through so much gibberish for any of it to make sense.

Its worse than the random spam thread for being able to follow any sort of pattern.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Feel free to highlight the bit debunking something then. If you can find it amongst the rambling on about Wired copy and pasting. The links to his counter argument, the sources etc.

Its like saying something is debunked based on a random FH post. Cute that you hold random Reddit posts in such high esteem though

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I'm not saying anything is proven or otherwise; I was just providing you with the quotes because you were being deliberately obtuse (there's that word again) and your hard-wired dislike of reddit got in the way of you actually reading some words all by yourself.

I'd love to hear your explanation as to why they would deliberately de-activate navigate-y things if there was some sort of catastrophe on board, though. And why wouldn't they send out a distress signal or make contact of any type, except to say "All right, good night"?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Reading reddit posts whilst cutting out the shit is something I've never bothered to learn to do. Too much of a ballache.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I'm not saying anything is proven or otherwise; I was just providing you with the quotes because you were being deliberately obtuse (there's that word again) and your hard-wired dislike of reddit got in the way of you actually reading some words all by yourself.

I'd love to hear your explanation as to why they would deliberately de-activate navigate-y things if there was some sort of catastrophe on board, though. And why wouldn't they send out a distress signal or make contact of any type, except to say "All right, good night"?

I have no idea either way, I know nothing about avionics. I was simply pointing out Reddit appears to be designed by mongs and from the linked page there was no argument.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
/shrug, plane was still reportedly flying 7 hours after going off radar so it hasn't had a sudden crash, it doesn't take 7 hours to to drop 35,000-45,000ft and plop into the ocean and in those 7 hours I refuse to believe no one on board would have called for help in some way shape or form if that were the case. Few eye catching tid bits below.

"But evidence from a military radar, revealed later, suggested the plane had suddenly changed from its northerly course to head west. So the search, involving dozens of ships and planes, then switched to the sea west of Malaysia.

MH370's last communication with a satellite, disclosed a week after the plane's disappearance, suggested the jet was in one of two flight corridors, one stretching north between Thailand and Kazakhstan, the other south between Indonesia and the southern Indian Ocean."

"The timing of the last confirmed communication with a satellite was 08:11 (00:11 GMT), meaning that the Boeing continued flying for nearly seven hours after contact with air traffic control was lost."

"The aircraft's change of direction was consistent with "deliberate action on the plane", the Malaysian authorities said."

"Weather conditions for this flight were good."

"Malaysia Airlines has a good safety record and the jet, a Boeing 777-200ER, is said to be one of the safest because of its modern technology."

"The recorders emit ultrasonic signals that can be detected under water. Under good conditions, the signals can be detected from several hundred miles away."

"The disappearance of a modern airliner for so long, with no wreckage found, is an unprecedented event."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom