WTF? So this plane that's 'disappeared'...

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
What do you think about it? It all smells like shite if you ask me.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
Aliens, Grey's, lizardmen, the illuminati. There , that's covered it, it'll be one of those four.

Or it crashed somewhere remote, you know like in a jungle or that wet sea stuff

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
it happens, this is hardly novel ?

OH MY GOD ISLAMISTS DID IT.. grow up and stop trying to sell papers

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
it happens, this is hardly novel ?

OH MY GOD ISLAMISTS DID IT.. grow up and stop trying to sell papers
Yes, this, exactly, OMG TWO STOLEN PASSPORTS DEFO TERRORISTS HADTHQERATHYQAERTHQAERTHWSERTHWATERY

INVADE SAUDI ARABIA!!!"%!£^"£$%^"$%&

Personally, I think the Daily Mail has reported the most relevant and in-depth story to date:

'One of two men who boarded doomed Air Malaysia flight on a stolen passport looked like Mario Balotelli'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...Probe-5-passengers-checked-never-boarded.html
'A Malaysian ethnic Chinese child '

Fucking Ethnics.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
i thought those 2 stolen IDs were nothing other than,....people using stolen IDs? one was emigrating illegally, not sure on other one ?

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
i thought those 2 stolen IDs were nothing other than,....people using stolen IDs? one was emigrating illegally, not sure on other one ?

Aye, but western media loves a good terrorist story.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
It's gone down in the middle of nowhere, and the middle of nowhere happens to cover a vast area. Of course it's going to take a while to find. Civilian radar doesn't blanket the Earth.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
it's either Nazi zombie terrorists, or terrorist Nazi zombies.

ileks

Part of the furniture
There's obviously a good reason for this but why can't they use GPS? They should at least be able to find where the signal was lost surely?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
There's obviously a good reason for this but why can't they use GPS? They should at least be able to find where the signal was lost surely?

Because they'd have to have the device that the GPS log was recorded on, and if they had that device they'd already know where it is.

Chilly

Balls of steel
Over international waters the only radar that tracks aircraft (if any at all) is military and they're often not too keen on disclosing their range/resolution etc etc.

Draylor

Part of the furniture
GPS on civilian aircraft is a ridiculous conversation you never want to get involved in.

Long story massively over-simplified: Its a US owned system. The US government has the power to turn it off, or degrade the signal. They say it'll never happen, but will not enter into any conversation on sharing the power or otherwise reassuring the rest of the world it can be used for safety critical purposes.

And so the colossal waste of money known as Galileo was born. In another 5-10 years, if the system is ever finished, Galileo would be capable of pin-pointing a suitably equipped aircraft.

soze

I am a FH squatter
I think this has either blown up or gone down in a forest or something. There is no way it could fly below radar long enough to get anywhere interesting. Transponders Radar ect I simply can not believe anything other than a crash or you have someone who has kidnapped all those people but made no demands?

ileks

Part of the furniture
Because they'd have to have the device that the GPS log was recorded on, and if they had that device they'd already know where it is.

Are you saying the GPS log was destroyed with the plane?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Malacca straits are fairly shallow. A satelite should be able to spot wreckage.

ileks

Part of the furniture
The plane is at the bottom of the ocean, along with the 250 passengers.

Yeah that would explain a lack of signal now. But surely there was a point that the signal was lost? Why don't air traffic control (or whoever) have the plane's gps trajectory? Is this information just not recorded outside of the aircraft? Or do planes move to fast for GPS to work like it does on the ground?

I know fuck all about the technology, hence the original question. Still not sure what the facepalms were for @Scouse ?

Chilly

Balls of steel
Yeah that would explain a lack of signal now. But surely there was a point that the signal was lost? Why don't air traffic control (or whoever) have the plane's gps trajectory? Is this information just not recorded outside of the aircraft? Or do planes move to fast for GPS to work like it does on the ground?

I know fuck all about the technology, hence the original question. Still not sure what the facepalms were for @Scouse ?
The plane doesnt broadcast its location. When it's within civilian radar monitoring range, those radar stations will track it and also query the plane's transponders so that it identifies itself (essentially you send out a WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU radio signal, and they reply). GPS is doesnt work two ways, the satellites you use to get your position have no idea you're using them to do so. For someone to know where the plane is right now they'd have to have been tracking it via radar, or the plane would have had to have been transmitting very loudly it's location over the radio waves.

ileks

Part of the furniture
The plane doesnt broadcast its location. When it's within civilian radar monitoring range, those radar stations will track it and also query the plane's transponders so that it identifies itself (essentially you send out a WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU radio signal, and they reply). GPS is doesnt work two ways, the satellites you use to get your position have no idea you're using them to do so. For someone to know where the plane is right now they'd have to have been tracking it via radar, or the plane would have had to have been transmitting very loudly it's location over the radio waves.

Ah I see. So the pilot has this information, but you can't easily send this back to a satellite and hence the outside world. You'd have to use radio waves which have a limited range.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Are you saying the GPS log was destroyed with the plane?

Yes.

GPS is a signal emitted by sattelites.

You can receive this signal on your phone and your phone can do useful stuff with it, such as log your bike ride. However, if you lose your phone, you lose your GPS log.

Your phone does NOT emit a GPS signal and cannot be tracked by GPS. Your phone is a GPS receiver. Just like everything else (including planes) that aren't part of the GPS sattelite network.

Planey-downey? No-GPSey-trackey. Capiche? :)

Edit: Reading your other posts - you do NOT send signals to GPS sattelites. They send signals out, they do not receive them. It's a passive marker-post type of system. Your GPS receiver triangulates your position based on signals from a number of sattelites and does something with that information. Nothing else happens.

ileks

Part of the furniture
Yes.

GPS is a signal emitted by sattelites.

You can receive this signal on your phone and your phone can do useful stuff with it, such as log your bike ride. However, if you lose your phone, you lose your GPS log.

Your phone does NOT emit a GPS signal and cannot be tracked by GPS. Your phone is a GPS receiver. Just like everything else (including planes) that aren't part of the GPS sattelite network.

I understand (now) that your GPS receiver is just a receiver. I was under the impression that sending a signal back to a satellite (not necessarily the same one(s)) was a relatively simple task (given we have satellite internet and shit). Obviously it isn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom