Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Repost it..I and everyone else must have missed it.

Job

Spain sending in army logistic support for Police riot squads in Catalonia because no one will give them accomodation.
If they dont settle this soon its going to erupt

Job

I'm just trying to imagine the EUs response if Wales held an unofficial independence vote and we started firing rubber bullets at voters.
Silence I presume.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
I'm just trying to imagine the EUs response if Wales held an unofficial independence vote and we started firing rubber bullets at voters.
Silence I presume.
Won't happen. We'd man the polling booths for them and pay for the costs to run it.

(Joking obv. I love those Welshies.)

Job

Well a Tory MP has pointed out as to why we are not bombing Madrid as we did in Kosovo.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Well a Tory MP has pointed out as to why we are not bombing Madrid as we did in Kosovo.
OK. You're making zero sense again. Apart from your English being utterly b0rked I can't even decipher any logic in the subject matter.

/screams: LINK!!!

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber

Which Tory MP. Link please.

Also, not even slightly the same thing, at all.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Ah yes. Show me the stories about the ethnic cleansing and death-camps in Barcelona. I'm sure it must be happening or you wouldn't have mentioned it.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
A court of a country the parliament in question is trying to break from with a challenge brought by mps from the regional parliament that is planning on breaking

Man this whole catalonia business is a mess

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Scotland managed to hold a fully recognised legal referendum. Catalonia should be pushing hard for that IMO.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Yep. Stopping them from meeting up officially is probably one of the most stupid things they could do. They need to open dialogue, not attempt to silence them.

They seem to be going out of their way to mess it up.

All this could have been done away with if they had sat down and talked, months ago and ironically would have probably resulted in a No to leaving anyway.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Stopping them from making unilateral declarations is pretty much all that can be done right now.

Or should Spain not fight to keep it's territorial borders intact? Should it roll over for Catalonia? What about the Basques? When they come a-knocking should the answer be "yeah sure, you go be your own country, Spain doesn't give a shit"...

...or any other bit of the country that wants self rule.

Should Cornwall be allowed to be it's own country? I mean, if they just up and declare it?

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Scotland managed to hold a fully recognised legal referendum.

Scotland was allowed to vote only because the UK government was convinced that the vote would end in a stay (as it did). Kinda the same thing as with the brexit vote. You think Cameron would have started THAT vote if he was sure that it would have ended in a leave? Hell no not in a million years!

Spain knew how a vote for independence would end so naturally they didn't allow it..

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Scotland was allowed to vote only because the UK government was convinced that the vote would end in a stay (as it did). Kinda the same thing as with the brexit vote. You think Cameron would have started THAT vote if he was sure that it would have ended in a leave? Hell no not in a million years!

Spain knew how a vote for independence would end so naturally they didn't allow it..

Actually, 6 months ago it would have been a nailed on remain. Not after the Spanish government sent the police in to heavy hand old women out of polling stations though. Its not like this is something new either, its been 50+ years in the making. Nobody woke up one morning and thought, you know what, today I fancy declaring independence.

Attempting to stop them declaring independence by closing their parliament on Monday will have the same affect on their will as if Britain had told the American's that the building they were to use was closed for the day.

Zero change.

Complete mess.

Last edited:

Job

Stopping them from making unilateral declarations is pretty much all that can be done right now.

Or should Spain not fight to keep it's territorial borders intact? Should it roll over for Catalonia? What about the Basques? When they come a-knocking should the answer be "yeah sure, you go be your own country, Spain doesn't give a shit"...

...or any other bit of the country that wants self rule.

Should Cornwall be allowed to be it's own country? I mean, if they just up and declare it?
Don't worry the EU is bringing everyone together in peace.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing

That's got very little to do with it (over the last decade or so the stay/leave split in Catalonia has been similar to Scotland with a majority to stay); the simple fact is Spain can't allow an official referendum because there isn't a way to do it legally. Scotland was fairly unique; the Acts of Union always made Scottish secession technically possible (although using an example others have mentioned, Cornwall, is not), that's not the case with Catalonia. A very few countries have a mechanism (the USSR - but not Russia - was one, the UK is another, and Canada has a special provision in the case of Quebec), most others don't (Spain, but most famously the US for example)

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Constitutions can be amended.

Some fucking idiot suggested that Andalusia would want to go it alone as a Sharia state, because it happened to be under the control of the Moors hundreds of years ago and has lots of nice architecture.

DaGaffer

Random college lecturer (in Cyprus) who worked for the Foreign Office out of college and hasn't been a "diplomat" for nearly 30 years. Big whoop.

There's a key difference between Catalonia and Kosovo; no-one's been ethnically cleansed from Catalonia. If and when Spain starts shooting people and the EU doesn't respond, then you'll have a point.

Job

Once London is down to 35% indigenous white, it could claim independence..it worked for Kosovo...in fact we would have to bomb ourselves if we tried to stop it.

Job

Random college lecturer (in Cyprus) who worked for the Foreign Office out of college and hasn't been a "diplomat" for nearly 30 years. Big whoop.

There's a key difference between Catalonia and Kosovo; no-one's been ethnically cleansed from Catalonia. If and when Spain starts shooting people and the EU doesn't respond, then you'll have a point.
And what about the Serbian President..he is completely correct, hypocrisy of the highest order and just another reason why the EU is never going to work.

Job

Lol
If and when Spain starts shooting people and the EU doesn't respond, then you'll have a point.

Thats exactly what happened.

DaGaffer

Constitutions can be amended.

Some fucking idiot suggested that Andalusia would want to go it alone as a Sharia state, because it happened to be under the control of the Moors hundreds of years ago and has lots of nice architecture.

They can. In parliament.

Its weird, after the anniversary of the 1916 Rising last year, its like deja vu; the Catalans create a situation that doesn't have popular suppoer, put the Spanish government in an impossible situation (albeit with ballot boxes rather than Mausers), the Spanish then massively over-react, which predictably changes public sympathy to the secessionists cause. Obviously its a less bloody version, but the Spanish are making every mistake the British made and getting exactly the same result.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
And what about the Serbian President..he is completely correct, hypocrisy of the highest order and just another reason why the EU is never going to work.

No it isn't. Except for a handful of old ladies getting thrown about, nobody is trying to kill anyone. We do not need to send people in to stop them from getting taken into a field, shot in the back of the head and buried. The two situations are completely fucking different.

DaGaffer

Lol
If and when Spain starts shooting people and the EU doesn't respond, then you'll have a point.

Thats exactly what happened.

Who's been shot? Anyone been killed? No? Thought not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom