Smoking - I quit

J

Jonny_Darko

What I want to know is when will I start feeling it in my breathing?

One of the main reason I want to do this is because I've been going to the gym a lot recently. I've noticed and recorded huge improvements in fitness, stamina and heart rate. However, I'm having to stop running/cycling etc well before I'm tired, simply because I'm out of puff.

So does anyone know when I will realise my breathing has significantly improved? Like going to the gym itself, quitting smoking will get easier the more proof I see / feel that it's doing me good.

L

~Lazarus~

Originally posted by Jonny_Darko
What I want to know is when will I start feeling it in my breathing?

So does anyone know when I will realise my breathing has significantly improved? Like going to the gym itself, quitting smoking will get easier the more proof I see / feel that it's doing me good.

Jonny,

What you may / may not realise is that your "breathing difficulties" may be related to the fact that you are excercising HARDER than you did during smoking, driving the body harder.

Difficult to measure if that is the case.

W

Will

Breathing gets worse before it gets better, your body starts to clear the crap out of your lungs a few days after you stop smoking, since your bronchioles are no longer paralysed by the carbon monoxide from your fags.

D

Damini

Your lungs actually get worse for a while after you give up smoking. Mine did. Everything starts rattling loose, and while you've been suppressing all the self cleaning mechanisms before, now they go into all out attack. It takes a while for things to settle out.

What I did was try to enjoy the smell of fresh clothes, fresh hair and nice breath. I bought some of those breath fresh herbal sweets from Holland and Barratt, and sucked those constantly.

What my friend did when she gave up was to get a big jar, and fill it with water and cigarette butts. When she fancied a smoke, she would unscrew the jar and smell the contents.

Niiice.

O

old.Normengast

When you stop smoking, try not to use nicotine patches or chewing gum, they'll only make you remember those cigarettes.

Nice job you carried on that far mate, I have stopped smoking for a bit more than a year now and it's going great, I don't even think about cigs anymore. Remember:

"Nothing is as easy as stop smoking cigarettes, I have done it a hundred times."
-Some dude with yellow fingers.

G

Gumbo

Originally posted by old.Normengast

"Nothing is as easy as stop smoking cigarettes, I have done it a hundred times."
-Some dude with yellow fingers.

I've heard that one lots before, and always thought it was a Mark Twain quote, but I did a little research and found these :-

I have made it a rule never to smoke more than one cigar at a time. I have no other restriction as regards smoking. --Mark Twain's Speeches

Giving up smoking is easy. I've done it hundreds of times. --This quote is believed to be misattributed to Mark Twain

so, er, there you go then.....

O

old.Normengast

Originally posted by Gumbo
I've heard that one lots before, and always thought it was a Mark Twain quote, but I did a little research and found these :-

I have made it a rule never to smoke more than one cigar at a time. I have no other restriction as regards smoking. --Mark Twain's Speeches

Giving up smoking is easy. I've done it hundreds of times. --This quote is believed to be misattributed to Mark Twain

so, er, there you go then.....

Well, as I didn't know who the quote came from, "someone with yellow fingers" will not be that far from the truth :)

J

Jonny_Darko

17:07 Thursday in the Big Brother house.

Now gone a while over 48 hours. No patches, no gum, and surprisingly, no real cravings.

Was ratty with my girlfriend last night though (it makes a nice change from her being ratty with me), and I think I'm starting to feel my lungs cleaning themselves out because they're hurting.

A couple of questions...

1) At what stage can someone say they've successfully quit?

2) When I have quit can I celebrate with a pack of 10 Marlborough Light?

D

Deadmanwalking

1) When you don't say number 2)

And 2) No

W

Will

Originally posted by Jonny_Darko
At what stage can someone say they've successfully quit?
Someone once told me you take the number of years you smoked for, and half it. If you still ain't smoking after that long, you've successfully quit.

J

Jonny_Darko

So this thread may be running about 3 years?

*pitches tent*

O

old.Fweddy

Now is the time to be as nasty as you like to everyone and blame it on quitting :)

W

whipped

Ok, my 3rd day is coming to an end and still feeling good. Admitadly I spent all day in bed today, but no craving when I awoke.

Saturday is the real test. It's our monthly Acid Skiffle get together. Lots of beer and people smoking. Think I may just run away when I get that urge.

W

Wij

Originally posted by whipped
Ok, my 3rd day is coming to an end and still feeling good. Admitadly I spent all day in bed today, but no craving when I awoke.

Saturday is the real test. It's our monthly Acid Skiffle get together. Lots of beer and people smoking. Think I may just run away when I get that urge.

Remember my advice. Masturbate.

L

Lester

I've been trying to give that up but I've only got to touch my cock and I get the shakes.

T

The.Fury

I concur with the bloke who quoted Allen Carr's book. It's called (remarkably) Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking.

After reading it through some two years ago I stopped instantly and have never smoked since. There are no shock tactics, no use of artificial nicotine sources or the like. It's quite simple, you must place yourself into the correct frame of mind. Sure for a couple of months I didn't know what to do with the extra time I had (especially at work, where a trip to the smoking room was 10 mins out of the standard office life every 45 mins).

You actually don't need to smoke. More importantly than this is that if you are a smoker and you wish to stop, then you just stop. You shouldn't think that you are giving up - after all giving up implies that smoking is a good thing that you are abstaining from. This is as far from the truth as you can get.

The other crucial item of information in the book concerns the additives they place into cigarettes to keep you hooked.

All I'd say is read the book. It isn't expensive (just over the cost of a pack of 20). If you don't stop after reading it then your just not ready to stop smoking, and honestly, no amount of patches will help you.

G

GDW

I gave up 15 months ago after smoking for 17 years. Havent looked back since. Downside is though Ive put on two stone in weight:(

M

Meatballs

Originally posted by GDW
I gave up 15 months ago after smoking for 17 years. Havent looked back since. Downside is though Ive put on two stone in weight:(

thats from eating too much food.

G

GDW

Originally posted by Meatballs
thats from eating too much food.

You would think. Thing is Im not really a big eater and dont snack any more than I used to. I think its down to body metabolism, which is speeded up if you are a regular smoker.

G

GDW

Hmmm could be, but its the only reason I can see from my weight gain. Actually I dont mind it so much as I was always a bit underweight anyhow

M

mank!

I'm sorry but you're forever pictured as a 70 year old bloke with a pipe in my head, GDW.

M

mank!

Can I have a Werther's original and will you tell me about the war?

edit: p.s. I hate to think what images in conjure :<

G

GDW

Yes but only if someone changes my blanket and wipes the piss from the floor .

NURSE !!

J

Jonny_Darko

Ahh, Friday and still going. Out tonight and tbh I don't think I'm going to make it. However I've done half a week cold turkey with considerable ease, and after tonight the next time I reckon I won't be able to resist is next Friday at the staff barbeque "fun day" thingy.

So I reckon I'll probably have a few tonight when I have a few pints in me, and start the process tomorrow again but keep it up for twice as long.

This is simply setting me back every time though...I reckon after next friday I need to go a few weeks without going anywhere near a social situation with beer.

Which to be honest won't be very hard, considering my current social doldrums.

S

SoWat

No No No No... and No.

Think of tonight as a test. If you can get through the night without partaking, then you've well and truly cracked it. If you don't, then your giving up program is fatally flawed from the off.

Obviously your cravings are still strong, but saying you'll have some later is just building up an anticipation that you'll find hard to resist once the time comes. Treat tonight as a challenge, and revel in every minute you resist the siren call of the ciggie.

... and if that isn't enough:

One of my neighbours died a few months ago. I honestly think it was a blessing. His coughing was loud enough to be heard halfway down the street (until near the end, when he wasn't strong enough to cough). From the moment he was diagnosed as having lung cancer, he survived 9 weeks. He wasn't an old boy either... only 44.

...and if you give in, that'll somehow make it'ok' for me to take a crafty puff... and I don't want that!

T

Tom

Ask your friends not to let you smoke, and be serious about it. Let them know how much you want to give up, and they should help you out.

Tell them they can punch you in the kidney if they catch you smoking!

Users who are viewing this thread