Smoking - I quit

L

leggy

Originally posted by Will
I still smoke a lot of doobies which aren't a whole lot better for me, but that was seven years ago now.

Corrections made.

L

~Lazarus~

Easy solution Jonny

Ask one of your friends to find someone to monitor you. This is someone that you DO NOT KNOW.

If they ever see you lighting up, they are free to kick the living shit out of you - you need to provide them with a document stating that you will not press charges ;)

Then you go about your daily business - remembering that you may need hospital treatment if you ever light up.

Remember - you wont know who is watching you.

S

Scooba Da Bass

Regardless of this thread cigarettes are still cool, I bet Bif Tannen smoked!

W

Wij

Originally posted by ~Lazarus~
Easy solution Jonny

Ask one of your friends to find someone to monitor you. This is someone that you DO NOT KNOW.

If they ever see you lighting up, they are free to kick the living shit out of you - you need to provide them with a document stating that you will not press charges ;)

Then you go about your daily business - remembering that you may need hospital treatment if you ever light up.

Remember - you wont know who is watching you.

This may not workif you are James Woods and hate cats.

K

kanonfodda

Good luck mate :D

"go on, you can do it, throw the f***ing ciggies away!!" ;)

O

old.Fweddy

If you start smoking again we'll steal your avatar. Good luck.

7th

Originally posted by ~Lazarus~
Easy solution Jonny

Ask one of your friends to find someone to monitor you. This is someone that you DO NOT KNOW....

Was there not a short story like this? where a guy bumps into an old friend from school and notices he has a finger missing, the old friend doesn't tell him how it happened but tells him about this fantastic anti-smoking group who'll help him quit... but the catch is, he cannot tell ANYONE the process of smoking.... if he is caught smoking then they start to chop fingers off, hurt his wife and kids etc.

7th

T

TedTheDog

Excellent idea Jon, bloody excellent.
I shall salute your success or mock your weakness with the rest over the coming weeks.
And Wij, send your sense of humour back to mothercare and join us all beyond the infant stage.

E

ECA

Originally posted by 7th
Was there not a short story like this? where a guy bumps into an old friend from school and notices he has a finger missing, the old friend doesn't tell him how it happened but tells him about this fantastic anti-smoking group who'll help him quit... but the catch is, he cannot tell ANYONE the process of smoking.... if he is caught smoking then they start to chop fingers off, hurt his wife and kids etc.

7th

Yeah its a film and i cannot remember what its called.

D

djpringle

Originally posted by 7th

7th

Yup, Wij mentioned it. It was Cats Eye and James Woods was the smoker.

E

ECA

Ahh yeah, I've seen that film twice, I love the one where he makes the guy go all the way round the outside of the building.

And the monster in the kids room is good as well.

W

Wij

Originally posted by djpringle
Yup, Wij mentioned it. It was Cats Eye and James Woods was the smoker.

Thank God that not everyone on here is as slow as a monged tortoise :)

7th

Originally posted by Wij
Thank God that not everyone on here is as slow as a monged tortoise :)

Sorry but i never saw the film, i've only read a short story based on it... so my apologies if your reference to James Woods (who i dont think ive even heard of before now) in a film i've never seen, went completely over my head :p

7th

W

whipped

I'm up for quiting as well Jonny. Been trying to over the past 2 weeks, but keep coming up with excuses. I've done it before for 6 months about a year ago. Can't quite remember why I started again.

I'm currently off ill with a very sore throat, so I'm hoping that'll help me.

I've got a couple of things I'm going to do.

1) I bought myself a cheap calander and will mark off the days. Every two weeks, if I haven't had one, I'm allowed to buy myself a treat.

2) I've got backgrounds on my PC at work and at home that say things like "You do not need a ciggerette" and I have a nasty picture of some blackened lungs along with that.

3) I've found some work and games that I'm really enjoying and would rather do than go to the pub.

4) If I do go to the pub it is a two pint limit for the first month. After that I'll try 4 and then my usual, mind bending 6.

I used some of these things last time and it helped quite a bit. The other thing is to change some routines. I'm going to walk a new way to work, as I pass about 10 corner shops the way I usually go.

L

~Lazarus~

Jonny,

Heres a more serious post.

When I was at college, I was determined to quit. So i decided, if I felt the cravings for a cigarrette, I would go for a jog.

Every time I felt the craving, on went the training gear and off I went for a run. Many times I've come back from a jog, changed and showered to have another craving. Out again I went.

Had the advantage of getting fit at the same time.

Mind you, got a few strange looks from the locals at the number of times I went jogging.

Worked for me tho!

W

Wij

Substitute jogging with wanking and you've got a plan there.

T

TedTheDog

My god Laz, thats some serious self-discipline. Giving up smoking is a killer in itself, but doing exercise as well?
You should be a personal trainer

L

~Lazarus~

Originally posted by TedTheDog
My god Laz, thats some serious self-discipline. Giving up smoking is a killer in itself, but doing exercise as well?
You should be a personal trainer

I was young and enthusiastic at the time TtD. Certainly worked for me, but I think it actually took MORE willpower to drag my aching corpse out of the chair to go for my xth run of the day than it was to say "NO".

Mind you, helped me lose 4 stone and chuck the weed.

Pity I started again 4 or 5 years later.!!!

D

Damini

See, what I did to give up was to use nicotine patches and get fat.

My clothes smell a lot nicer, but they're all in the cupboard because I've out grown them.

Its sad but true. So... my way of quitting was to hole myself up in my room with videos, nicorette patches and enough sugar based foods to kill nineteen diabetics. I still smoke every now and then if I drink, but from 30 a day to maybe a few a week and only if I bevvy, I don't think thats bad at all.

T

Tom

Actually what Laz did is quite easy once you get used to it. I go out on my bike every day, including when I'm working (when I have time that is), when I miss a day, I usually feel like shit.

T

The-Don

I would love to give up smoking, but I don't want to... suppose there is no motivation to give up if you don't want to :(

D

DaGaffer

*goes off to wave ciggies under Jon's nose in a Nick O'Teen stylee*

T

The-Don

Originally posted by DaGaffer
*goes off to wave ciggies under Jon's nose in a Nick O'Teen stylee*

He's a chain smoker if I ever saw one :p

J

Jonny_Darko

That's it. 15:57 on Tuesday 5th August 2003.

Just had my last one.

Let's see how long I hold out.

J

Jonny_Darko

GODAMMIT SOMEONE GIVE ME A CIGARETTE NOW! ;)

D

DaGaffer

Mr. Ravey's back in tomorrow. I give you ten minutes, tops.

M

MYstIC G

Originally posted by Jonny_Darko
GODAMMIT SOMEONE GIVE ME A CIGARETTE NOW! ;)
No, I might steal that Optimus avatar though.

Users who are viewing this thread