Smoking - I quit

J

Jonny_Darko

Well, that's the plan, anyway.

I started smoking frighteningly late - I managed to avoid all the peer pressure throughout school, and started at 20. What an idiot.

Since then I have tried to stop more times than I dare to count.

Now I'm trying again, but this time it's different, honest. I'm really going to do it.

To spur me on, I've started this thread, I'm going to report in every day and report on whether I've stayed clean. Hopefully fear of ridicule from my peers will keep me going. I hope you'll consider me a peer enough to rip me apart for my pathetic weakness if I start to cave in!

I'll also come in here if I'm desperate for one and hopefully you guys will talk me round.

I reckon this could really help me...and I want others to join in. Is there anyone else who's trying to stop? Get your names down and we'll all try and support each other. We could be the first people for whom "Forum Therapy" turns out to be the only thing that works, maybe they'll be prescribing it on the NHS next!

Come on, join me! I have 2 ciggies left to relish today, one for lunch and one for the afternoon, and then that'll be it...I hope.

A

Arnor

gl, and you can always trust on me to flame you if you fuck up :great:

S

Scooba Da Bass

Cigarettes rock, if you quit smoking the cool kids in the office will mock you!

F

FatBusinessman

Originally posted by Scooba Da Bass
Cigarettes rock, if you quit smoking the cool kids in the office will mock you!

:twak: is what I say to you.

P

PR.

When I was a kid, my cousin made this big thing of how smoking was pointless etc, except when he was 16 he started smoking like a French forest, and when I was 16 I still didn't get the point of spending 75%+ of your minimul income on something that killing you with not one single benefit. A couple of school people tried to get me to start but it ended with me getting them to stop! :D

T

Trebz

Originally posted by Jonny_Darko
Come on, join me! I have 2 ciggies left to relish today, one for lunch and one for the afternoon, and then that'll be it...I hope.

If you intend to quit and you are serious then you should put those 2 ciggies into the bin right now. Else it'll be, "i'll just have another one, I'll just finish this pack". Making up excuses. Quit. Now.

F

FatBusinessman

Re: Re: Smoking - I quit

Originally posted by Trebz
If you intend to quit and you are serious then you should put those 2 ciggies into the bin right now. Else it'll be, "i'll just have another one, I'll just finish this pack". Making up excuses. Quit. Now.

He speaks the truth, I'm afraid. Oh, and give them a good soak before you bin them, so you don't pick them out of the bin again and light up.

J

Jonny_Darko

Re: Re: Re: Smoking - I quit

Originally posted by FatBusinessman
He speaks the truth, I'm afraid. Oh, and give them a good soak before you bin them, so you don't pick them out of the bin again and light up.

I've often picked ciggies out of the bin. The desperately sad things people will do when they try to stop eh?

But I'm having these, this is the end of the pack, I'm having these, and I'm not buying any more. I can stop, but I've convinced myself now it'll be after these and I have to do it.

M

MYstIC G

Rule 1: Don't take ones offered to you
Rule 2: Don't buy any more
Rule 3: Don't fucking buy any more
Rule 4: Don't FUCKING SMOKE ANY MORE!

^ follow that & you'll be fine, worked for me

W

Wij

Piss on any ciggies you see from now on so as to reduce the temptation to smoke them.

(This may not work if you are Rolf Harris or Sarah Miles though.)

E

ECA

Get your girlfriend too buy a 12" black dildo.

Everytime you smoke a ciggy you have to tell her, and you get it up the arse.

You will NEVER smoke again...

7th

Re: Re: Re: Smoking - I quit

Originally posted by FatBusinessman

Alternatively, just put them in the toilet and give it a good flush :)

thats what i did on my uh, 5th attempt to quick... regardless of that, im still smoking....

7th

p.s. whenever i try to quit, i try to keep it quiet... i find there's always one cocky arse who seeks to undermine your efforts and tells you how pathetic you are...

p.p.s. if you really want an eye opening read, get hold of Allen Carrs book, i forget the name but a quick search for 'Allen Carr' on amazon should bring it up

J

Jonny_Darko

Quit with me 7th! Let us be a crutch to each other!

G

Gef

You have patches or just going cold turkey? I wanna quit but need to have a labotomy first I think..

C

Cdr

Use the money saved to invest in the stock market!

It'll keep your mind off the smoking, and use up the spare cash so you dont have any to spend on more cigs.

Buy Marconi!!!! They can only go up!

(Random company picked from a huge list, may not actually go up, may just stay where they are or go into liquidation)

J

Jonny_Darko

Patches, I usually find they're quite good.

G

Gef

Friend of mine just quit, he said with the strong patches it makes you feel physically ill if you smoke a ciggy with one on.

7th

me? quit? HEHEHEHEHE. nice one. :)

I've tried patches... hated them. I've tried chewing gum... hated it. I've tried those little sucky inhaler things... really f***ing hated them (they tickled the back of my throat :( )... oh yea, and i tried cold turkey once, lasted 3 days then promptly got told to 'just go have a bloody smoke!' by one of the girls in the office because my temper was verging on homicidal limits the whole time.

7th minus nicotine = ragey 7th :(

7th

E

ECA

How can you hate patches or gum over something that makes you reek and gives you cancer?

:rolleyes:

7th

From that comment, im going to presume you're a non-smoker :)

if that's the case, i cannot explain the feeling... yes smoking causes cancer, yes smoking when pregnant harms your wee baby, yes it makes you smell like a pigs arse...

...but that chewing gum shit burns your mouth to buggery!!

7th

A

Ash!

Giving up smoking certainly is a beeatch!!.

I tried all sorts a few years ago to give up smoking. Patches, Chewing Gum, Saying this was the last ciggie ever. Non of which ever worked.

So what I did was break things down so it was managable for me. I kept saying to myself I wont have one in the next hour. Then it went to the next few hours, then this morning, then no cig today. From that I have never looked back. Not had a cig for over 4 years now.

The craving does subside but the mistress of temptation is usually doing the rounds when I have had a drink or two and my mates are smoking.

Good luck mate and keep believing you can do it

S

SoWat

Allan Carr's book is very good. He encourages the reader to smoke while reading the book!

His basic premise is: You get cravings for ciggies when you smoke, and you get cravings when you quit... so you may as well quit (makes sense, sort of).

Anyway... I quit smoking 2 days ago. I'm going cold turkey (tried all the gizmos). I seem to spend an inordinate amount of time thinking about ciggies, and there's a voice in my head telling me to 'nip down the shops' :cool: but so far so good!

Good luck Jonny ;)

W

Wij

Originally posted by ECA
Get your girlfriend too buy a 12" black dildo.

Everytime you smoke a ciggy you have to tell her, and you get it up the arse.

You will NEVER smoke again...

This may not work if you are Richard Gere and the dildo is a hamster.

J

Jonny_Darko

If you get in trouble Sowat, come into the forum and get some support, we'll coax you through difficult times.

W

Will

My trick for quitting was to get really bad flu while I was a twenty rollie a day man. I spent two weeks coughing up blood and being unable to smoke. After that, the worst of the craving was over, and I never properly started again. I've nearly gone back a couple of times, and I still smoke a lot of non-ciggie type things which aren't a whole lot better for me, but that was seven years ago now.

L

leggy

Originally posted by Gef
Friend of mine just quit, he said with the strong patches it makes you feel physically ill if you smoke a ciggy with one on.

That's funny because the strong patches combined with the cigarettes actually have enough nicoteen to kill you.

7th

the one thing my mum did when she quit, was had a glass of water nearby the whole time, everytime she felt a bit restless and fancied a smoke she took a sip of the cold water :)

7th

W

Wij

Originally posted by 7th
the one thing my mum did when she quit, was had a glass of water nearby the whole time, everytime she felt a bit restless and fancied a smoke she took a sip of the cold water :)

7th

This may not work if you have rabies.

Users who are viewing this thread