Politics Scottish Independance.....Thoughts?

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Again, it's economic problems that are at the base of this. Just like with Brexit. Just like with Trump.
It's not a response to the blatant English nationalism in Westminster then? Wales has been on the end of the economic shitty stick for decades without a large rise in independence sentiment.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
What's that? A shade under 1% of the population? I would imagine Wales always has at least that many people who want independence.
Polls put the number of people backing independence at over double what they were a few years ago. Maybe not something to worry about right now, but worth keeping an eye on.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
It's not a response to the blatant English nationalism in Westminster then? Wales has been on the end of the economic shitty stick for decades without a large rise in independence sentiment.
Not in my experience. No.

The welsh independence movement really picked up after the 2008 crash and then accelerated during Brexit debate. But the fundamentals are all there - no jobs, can't afford housing because wankers like me keep moving to the area, no prospects and a lifetime of that shit on the horizon.

They don't want to have to leave home and go to the big smoke to have prospects - but that's where they are really. Fundamentally, it's economics - yes, exploitative wankers can point at <whatever> and use it - but nobody listens to them if they're economically comfortable.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
I love how the Scots and Welsh think they have the monopoly on Westminster not making decisions with them in mind.

However now the prime movers of the Independence movement in Scotland have got themselves in all sorts of legal bother, guess it's time for Plaid Cymru to have their spot in the limelight.

Embattle

FH is my second home
The simple problem is the expectation that the tail can wag the dog, it can't.

They don't want to have to leave home and go to the big smoke to have prospects - but that's where they are really. Fundamentally, it's economics - yes, exploitative wankers can point at <whatever> and use it - but nobody listens to them if they're economically comfortable.

Good luck in that while still being attached to England.

Although Welsh independence might mean something else Scouse could moan about other than VAR.....we are building up a good list of possible alternatives :p

Wij

I am a FH squatter
I'm lucky to live in the culturally superior enclave of West Yorkshire. London can fuck off.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
NO, NO NO, Unicorns, sharting gold!

It's all the oil money you see, and booze, or something.

Embattle

FH is my second home
NO, NO NO, Unicorns, sharting gold!

It's all the oil money you see.

Norway did come up in a reply:

Responding to the analysis, Fiona Hyslop, the Scottish Government’s Economy Secretary, said: “As an independent member of the EU, free from the damage of Brexit, Scotland would be part of the huge single market, which is seven times the size of the UK.”

She argued there was “no reason whatsoever” why Scotland could not emulate the success of similar-sized independent countries, which were far wealthier per head than the UK, noting how Norway’s GDP was nearly 40% higher than the UK’s.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Soon our resident brexiteers are going to start telling the Scots to listen to facts and experts :O

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
Scotland does not have Norway’s oil ....

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Scotland does not have Norway’s oil ....

Neither does Norway - both the UK and Norway have about 8-10 years' left (Norway 5m barrels, UK 3m). Difference is what they've spent their oil money on already, not what's still there.

Gwadien

I think this was inevitable tbh.

The SNP is too big tent within 'nationalism' - Salmond liked old school politics whereas Sturgeon has gone for the neo-libtard approach.

I guess that's another reason why she's been bleating on about another referendum for a long time; if she doesn't she loses the party.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Scots, Irish and Welsh would still be living in caves if it wasn't for the English.

/bait
Hook.

The whole human race would be if it wasnt for scientific thought and process - yet right now the English aren't paying it much heed.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Jesus christ who resurrected this thread? How many years ago did I make it?

Anyway, I think Westminster is the problem for pretty much anywhere that isn't London. Levelling up? Northern powerhouse? We're all lied to and treated like scum.

I think if Scotland get indy the Tories will fuck them over royally. Hard border etc. I think 60% of Scotlands exports are to the rUK, they'd tariff the piss out of those. It's a worrying and risky move but all should be fine in a few generations (life not political generations).

Gwadien

Jesus christ who resurrected this thread? How many years ago did I make it?

Anyway, I think Westminster is the problem for pretty much anywhere that isn't London. Levelling up? Northern powerhouse? We're all lied to and treated like scum.

I think if Scotland get indy the Tories will fuck them over royally. Hard border etc. I think 60% of Scotlands exports are to the rUK, they'd tariff the piss out of those. It's a worrying and risky move but all should be fine in a few generations (life not political generations).

Fuck ourselves over to fuck over Scotland slightly more?

Yeah, sounds pretty Tory to be fair.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Fuck ourselves over to fuck over Scotland slightly more?

Yeah, sounds pretty Tory to be fair.
Never, ever the Tories that get fucked over though is it? They've all had their payday, pound of flesh. Stripped all the assets. It's the little people that get fucked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom