RTX 30xx

Tay

Grumpy old fecker
I'm really hoping that AMD have something up their sleeve as if we get a GPU war starting up like we've seen on the CPU side of things, the next era of PC's are going to be insane

I'd love a GPU war but they never really seem to bring the costs down too much.

Tay

Grumpy old fecker
Well the cost of 2080ti performance has just halved

I'm not sure you can have a war with yourself ;)

Interesting marketing though, there has got to be a ton of unhappy exiting 2070s 2080 folks out there. I got my 2070 back in March and I'm feeling a little disappointed but the RTX30x wasnt a thing then.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I'm not sure you can have a war with yourself ;)

Interesting marketing though, there has got to be a ton of unhappy exiting 2070s 2080 folks out there. I got my 2070 back in March and I'm feeling a little disappointed but the RTX30x wasnt a thing then.
Many. But the 20xx was priced off the back of bitcoin miners. And poor chip success rates. Also their sales didn't look good so it all pointed to a drop this time. But its surprising the amount. And many pissed 2080 purchasers i am sure. The performance gain from my 1080 never warranted a buy of the 20xx Gen.

Tay

Grumpy old fecker
Many. But the 20xx was priced off the back of bitcoin miners. And poor chip success rates. Also their sales didn't look good so it all pointed to a drop this time. But its surprising the amount. And many pissed 2080 purchasers i am sure. The performance gain from my 1080 never warranted a buy of the 20xx Gen.

Luckily I upgraded from a GTX970 :) Defo a performance change there.

Thing is with 10,000 cuda cores it might well make it viable for miners again. Not sure I can be arsed to figure out the cost benefit anymore but that has got to be a big step forward without the typical massive hike in cost.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Luckily I upgraded from a GTX970 :) Defo a performance change there.

Thing is with 10,000 cuda cores it might well make it viable for miners again. Not sure I can be arsed to figure out the cost benefit anymore but that has got to be a big step forward without the typical massive hike in cost.
[they are much more power hungry to tho.

Tay

Grumpy old fecker
[they are much more power hungry to tho.

Fair point, but still not going to break out the spreadsheet :) - My son loved it during the winter as his room was above the garage and I had 3-4 rigs running, bloody garage was 32 degs in the middle of winter, surprised I never had the rozzers knocking on the door asking if I was growing weed.

But even so, 10,000 cores :)

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
The 20xx was priced off the back of Nvidia being able to do what they liked because AMD wasn't competitive.

Going off all the back-of-an-envelope calculations, AMD have something either somewhere between the 3070 and the 3080 or slightly better than the 3080, with superior efficiency. It just depends how they price it. If Nvidia got wind of this, it might (partly at least) explain their aggressive pricing. I'm not sure about the console angle, whichever way you look at it PC gaming is always going to be more expensive.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
Bet people that bought a 2080 Ti recently are pissed off though, even the 3070 shits on the 2080 Ti and it's less than half the price.

Well I'm certainly not happy but I had to buy a new PC last month because my old one had died. I knew the 3xxx series was out soon but I couldn't wait even a few weeks without my main office machine.

That is technology for you, especially graphics cards.

Exactly and I knew something like this would happen. Its also not like my 2080Ti has suddenly become a slow card. It can still pump out insane FPS on my 1440p 144Hz monitor at ultra settings. In a year or two if I think about upgrading to a 5k monitor then I could consider about upgrading to a 3080 or 3090 where those cards would actually make a noticeable difference.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
The 20xx was priced off the back of Nvidia being able to do what they liked because AMD wasn't competitive.

Going off all the back-of-an-envelope calculations, AMD have something either somewhere between the 3070 and the 3080 or slightly better than the 3080, with superior efficiency. It just depends how they price it. If Nvidia got wind of this, it might (partly at least) explain their aggressive pricing. I'm not sure about the console angle, whichever way you look at it PC gaming is always going to be more expensive.
Ofcourse its always gonna be more expensive that a console you dont have the scale of a single build and components to decrease the prices.

Embattle

FH is my second home

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
The absolute shit show which was that release.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
3060 - Didn't look
3070TI - 16GB
3080TI - 20GB

All leaked today by Gigabyte for post Big Navi 2 :)

Moriath

I am a FH squatter

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Yeah, I'll be waiting 6 months+

Thinking I will wait for the 3080ti and see what the going rate is, if its only a couple of hundred more than a 3080 then fuck it, might as well.

Really, I need a new panel too, my 28inch 4k monitor has a shitty HDMI connection so can't play PS4pro at 4k, let alone PS5 so that needs replacing too.

Wife won't be happy!

Embattle

FH is my second home
TechPowerUp has a few different manufacturer 3080s:

To me the big takeaway is get the cheapest version, the noise and performance differences are negligible.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
TechPowerUp has a few different manufacturer 3080s:

To me the big takeaway is get the cheapest version, the noise and performance differences are negligible.
If you can find any in stock

Embattle

FH is my second home
Here come the 3090s:

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
Husband is about to purchase a new rig with an 3080 or 3090 apparently he has not decided yet oO

Yoni

He will buy what he wants - if he wants a 3090 he can have one - his money :)

Yoni

Not at all - however he will do as he chooses

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
3080 is fine unless your 8k gaming tbh
And if you look at the reviews, they really shouldn't have marketed them as 8k capable. They can do 8k in a few games with DLSS 2.0 upscaling like crazy from 1440p but native they can barely get over 30fps. If you want a 4k card, the 3080 is more than capable (I'd still say wait for AMD to announce at the end of next month), if you want an 8k card, the 3090 ain't it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom