Rift

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Didn´t mean to be hostile, but you have to admit that your question sounded like a cheap trolling attempt.

People are changing MMOs because they´re bored of their old one, have reached a point where they don´t see any progression anymore or generally want to try something new.
Rift is not revolutionary or anything, it´s just a solid and well made MMO. If that´s not enough for you, then I guess you should stick to WoW.

Only sounds trollish cause it's the internet, just a question among others ;)

Think the answers have given me the jist of the difference, though i did just buy cata collectors ediition, so rift will have to wait.

Don't want a conan/etc rerun of wasted subs atm.

Keitanz

Can't get enough of FH
Toht, just wait till people get to end game and see how shit it is then feck off back to WoW/DAoC for the 100th time.

Everz

FH is my second home
Best thing to do is wait 6 months. If it hasn't tailed off by then it may be worth it. Though already mumblings of people getting fucked off by it.

Angrist

Part of the furniture
The Dark Alliance is alive and kicking on Firesand pvp rp playing Defiant.

Got the game last night and having good fun playing so far.

Madmaxx

FH is my second home
I had a new role made for support healing as a bard, just to get into more dungeons. But its even good in warfronts we was getting massacred in 1 WF and I changed to bard; ended up getting the Fang 3 times in 1 match achievement and won; was was pretty good. Certainly keeps you busy since you can just change role back to your hunter or whatever spec in 3 secs.

Zede

Part of the furniture
Playin Zede the Cleric or Paulamyo the Rogue on Shivermere, L5 !

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
From all 've weatched(a lot), read etc on it, the simplest conclusion can be;

If you want a realistic MMO to start with, this is a good one.
If you want to move from wow, this is a safe bet.
If you like wow and have fun with it, no need to go rift.

Zede

Part of the furniture
From all 've weatched(a lot), read etc on it, the simplest conclusion can be;

If you want a realistic MMO to start with, this is a good one.
If you want to move from wow, this is a safe bet.
If you like wow and have fun with it, no need to go rift.

No, last point is wrong.

Play RIFT for 10 mins & realise lots and lots of little things WoW should have done, but are to lazy and fat to bother. WoW acc cancelled.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I think you'll find that from a rather neutral POV, rift isn't something that holds so much innovation that it would validate a transfer IF you're still enjoying WoW.

It's a good game, no doubt, but it's still a clone with some personal touch.

As such; it's a good choice for a new/break MMO.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Sparkwing, PvE.

The descriptions of PvP servers in this game made it sound a bit too much like Camlann.

Enjoying the content, spending time in Warfronts too. I find that as I'm puttering about I will at times just stop and look at the gameworld. Its rather nice.

Warfronts are totally dominated by Defiant. I can't rightly say as to why since I've not delved into the game mechanics much.

As said above, all the good bits shamelessly stolen from other games. There's even some nods to DAoC in there in places too.

Witholding final judgement until I see endgame PvP.

The character class system is the best I've seen to date in an online game.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
Sparkwing, PvE.

The descriptions of PvP servers in this game made it sound a bit too much like Camlann.

Enjoying the content, spending time in Warfronts too. I find that as I'm puttering about I will at times just stop and look at the gameworld. Its rather nice.

Warfronts are totally dominated by Defiant. I can't rightly say as to why since I've not delved into the game mechanics much.

As said above, all the good bits shamelessly stolen from other games. There's even some nods to DAoC in there in places too.

Witholding final judgement until I see endgame PvP.

The character class system is the best I've seen to date in an online game.

yeah the class system is really nice, loads of potential. I've got a pyro spec for pve, then im messing around with a chloro/archon/archmage spec as backup for pvp if the group (or pug) is missing out on heals. lots of people messing with lots of differnt builds as they level, its nice to see

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
Played Pyro/Elementalist all the way up to lvl 30, then I got stuck, because my pet was unable to hold aggro. Changed to Warlock/Necro and that´s insanely good.

liloe

It's my birthday today!
It's just different Toh. It's difficult to explain, at the end of the day it is just another mmo, but everything they have implemented just works really well. THe big point is the soul system, you can be Tank/DPS/Support with one class. No longer do you need to reroll to get the taste of a ranged spec/stealthspec.

That's the same in WoW, though. For 10g you can buy dual spec at level 30 and switch between two different skill sets. Some skills share nearly the same items, for some skill trees you need to get new gear, but once you're done, you can switch back and forth as much as you want.

I hope the introduction is better than WAR. When I started that game, I was totally confused about what was going on. The start was very logical, but then too much content came at once. In WoW, it was much better. You get short hints about the interface, you run different types of quests in a safe zone, then you proceed to another zone and only later you get access to dungeons. In WAR I was confronted with my first area quest (or whatever those stage 1-3 quests are called) so quickly and I died far too much :<

Zede

Part of the furniture
Roo is right, it does feel like Daoc at times.

dye merchants :worthy:

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Some thoughts:-

Pros:-

- The graphics are beautiful on high/ultra. The atmosphere is just as great.
- Rifting has been obviously taken from WAR but polished to a much greater extent. Also healing actually generates contribution, something WAR failed miserably at!
- They have taken WoW's talent system, realised the fotm flaws in it and redesigned it 10x better. The soul system is quite frankly, exceptional.
- The PvP is more WAR than WoW - which is good. The classes seem somewhat balanced although I am not max level yet.
- The crafting system is about on par with WoW's.
- The game is polished very well.

Cons:-

- Not enough warfronts! PvPing in the same warfront for 10 levels is not a good way to introduce people to PvP.
- The tutorials don't explain some of the things they should. Such as wtf to do in a big rift event and that artifacts can actually be handed in for special coins.
- The storyline. Sorry. What storyline? It's just not that great.
- Linear progression.

It needs to capitalise on the pvp more. They already have it feeling like WAR over WoW - which will draw in a lot of players for the PvP-side of things and it does feel somewhat balanced as you level (except for healers - who seem unkillable ;)) but people don't want to wait till 50 to pvp seriously.

Afran

Part of the furniture
Sounds like there's no real PvP at endgame outside of BGs :(

Punishment

Resident Freddy
On pvp server im sure there is, and anyone who plays on a non pvp server well :p

Afran

Part of the furniture
Yea, but no real high end rewards to shoot for / actual competitive scenarios outside of random encounters? :)

Punishment

Resident Freddy
Yea, but no real high end rewards to shoot for / actual competitive scenarios outside of random encounters? :)

Yea thats true, main reason i quit wow was cause "Oh look i just powned 3 more 80's solo and i have X amount towards new armor/gold i dont need yay"

/Quit

Atm i have afew irl friends wanting me to play wow and i cba i have taken a break form eve and am just randomly playing uthgar dits fun but feels very dated, i just want a new shiny hack and slash mmo fix so 2moro ill be buying a copy

Edit: i will also be looking for a home with as many fh'rs as possible

Afran

Part of the furniture
Atleast WoW has arena though, and in 3v3 it's extremely competitive and currently the most balanced it has ever been

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
I'd be very suprised if they do not create a zone simply for pvp!

Zede

Part of the furniture
L21 cleric & think the game is ace !

Its more like Doac than WAR for sure.

I'm on Shivermere Defiant cause i saw other ppl here were :)

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
Level 42 at the moment. Getting to 50 is way too easy IMO. Still not sure where the endgame is heading to, but it´s fun to far.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Endgame is grinding heroics ( expert ) to get toughness ( anti-pve crit stat ).
PVP endgame is farming battlegrounds ( warfronts ), and not much else.

There is only 1 raid instance right now.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
early days, early days.

People hit top level in mmo's too quickly these days, either because xp's far too easy to get, or people blast through too much in games these days, and dont just stop and smell the flowers like they used to......

ECA

I am a FH squatter
early days, early days.

People hit top level in mmo's too quickly these days, either because xp's far too easy to get, or people blast through too much in games these days, and dont just stop and smell the flowers like they used to......

It's mostly caused by the time to hit max level being infinitely faster these days

Vanilla wow took 200+ hours, FFXI ( lol try 300-500 back in the day ), Aion 300+

DCU ~30 hours, Rift 50 hours.

Punishment

Resident Freddy
Wow 50 hours is abit too short tbh, getting top level should atleast take 3 months for the normal player

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Wow 50 hours is abit too short tbh, getting top level should atleast take 3 months for the normal player

4 months to 80 here and i played a lot.

The thing is, i didn't grind instances, read quest texts with care, leveled professions to fourfiddy(thanks general). Basically enjoyed the ride.

But, if someone wants to get to max level, why punish it too much. If you can stroke differently, it's good gameplay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom