Regarding server lag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cylian

Fledgling Freddie
guess 193.252.122.14 is far far away from 193.252.133.177 (Prydwen).

That's were most of the lag occures for me.

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
Cylian said:
guess 193.252.122.14 is far far away from 193.252.133.177 (Prydwen).

That's were most of the lag occures for me.
It's not that step which is the problem, it's the routing to that hub from the previous one that is the problem. Unfortunately the hub prior to that is diffenet for differnt peopel and changes over time as well.

Zede

Part of the furniture
providing any type of service usually requires more than one "company" to make it work.

A well known logistics company beginning with T sub-contracts some of its courier work to smaller, local outfits. If a parcel is delivered late, who does the cutomer complain to ? The large logistics operator....If they said, "sorry Customer X, its not our fault, xyz couriers delivered it late, sorry !"

This is GoA all over - they have all the gloss of a big outfit , but just contract out essential parts of the service to cheap, nasty companies.

This lag is 100% the fault of GoA. After playing 40 days of WoW reecently - this type of lag NEVER happened. Only lag I ever got was when you had 200+ peeps on the screen.

Ixnay

Can't get enough of FH
When hitting the following hop seems to be problematic, as already said by Req..

11 599 ms 295 ms 178 ms wanadooportails-1.gw.opentransit.net [193.251.25
1.54]
12 31 ms 31 ms 31 ms 193.252.122.14
13 30 ms 34 ms 89 ms 193.252.123.177

Trace complete.

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
Zede said:
providing any type of service usually requires more than one "company" to make it work.

A well known logistics company beginning with T sub-contracts some of its courier work to smaller, local outfits. If a parcel is delivered late, who does the cutomer complain to ? The large logistics operator....If they said, "sorry Customer X, its not our fault, xyz couriers delivered it late, sorry !"

This is GoA all over - they have all the gloss of a big outfit , but just contract out essential parts of the service to cheap, nasty companies.

This lag is 100% the fault of GoA. After playing 40 days of WoW reecently - this type of lag NEVER happened. Only lag I ever got was when you had 200+ peeps on the screen.
This isn't the same thing. We don't 'contract out' the internet. Our hosting package covers the server network and it's connection to the internet. After that we are at the mercy of infrastructure companies. Any intenet based business will be in the same boat. No matter how good or bad your hosting and bandwidth is, the weakest part of the chain between your customers and your service will determine the quality of the connection. These parts of the chain are completely outside our control and whie we are doing all that we can to get them resolved it's not as simple as some posters make it sound.

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
Requiel said:
This isn't the same thing. We don't 'contract out' the internet. Our hosting package covers the server network and it's connection to the internet. After that we are at the mercy of infrastructure companies. Any intenet based business will be in the same boat. No matter how good or bad your hosting and bandwidth is, the weakest part of the chain between your customers and your service will determine the quality of the connection. These parts of the chain are completely outside our control and whie we are doing all that we can to get them resolved it's not as simple as some posters make it sound.

its not simple, but you have had enough experience of lag to make it simpler.

:m00:

Mazzaca

Fledgling Freddie
Played some on mid/exc, simply unplayable.
Played some on alb/pyr, simply unplayable.
The least GoA can do is apologize and give us free sub days.

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
Requiel said:

I seriously hope that the GOA team are doing all they can because this really will start to effect subscriptions soon. I've no intention of leaving but I've heard many in game who say they won't put up with this for much longer. The game is in effect almost unplayable at times.

Ixnay

Can't get enough of FH
Host will be sitting on a LAN, there will be network access to this LAN.

Now lets say I provide/run/maintain the LAN and Host, but for example BT provide the access circuits into my LAN. BT has a high order failure causing these access circuits to go down and end users not being able to connect to my Host, would the issue be my fault ?

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
Ixnay said:
Host will be sitting on a LAN, there will be network access to this LAN.

Now lets say I provide/run/maintain the LAN and Host, but for example BT provide the access circuits into my LAN. BT has a high order failure, would the issue be my fault ?

no put you would have an SLA agreement (hopefully) with BT in which the will compensate you if they do not reach it.

So opentransit compensate GoA for breach of SLA, Goa think hey wait on easy money, we get subs from players and compensation becasue of bad backbone connectivity.. Lag equal more money for GoA ( well thats my conspiracy bit :eek7: )

:m00:

Gayner

Fledgling Freddie
Mazzaca said:
Played some on mid/exc, simply unplayable.
Played some on alb/pyr, simply unplayable.
The least GoA can do is apologize and give us free sub days.

i asked requiel about this, and i got this response:

"I can't say if there will be any compensation as decisions like that are taken way over my head. usually we give compensation when there is a fault or breakdown on our kit. As this isn't in our kit it's not likely."

Made me LAUGH OUT LOUD AND CRY. hope it does you too.

Zede

Part of the furniture
Requiel said:

well. like any "business" GoA will contract out to the companies who, in their opinion offer the best deal. my point is - GoA chose the companies to contract out too - and they are not performing.

please advise - and im sure alot of other people want to know - does GoA have ANY other option other than using Opentransit ???

ps...if it means paying even £5.00 more per month to change and fix the lag...id do it happliy :clap:

MaddogUK

Fledgling Freddie
Requiel said:

Funny thing though...GOA's happy to take our money. I dont care who's fault it is..Quite simply I'm paying for a service that i can not use...Sort it, give us some free play time or lose your customer base..Your call.

Libertine

One of Freddy's beloved
I got 8 days of free gametime in WoW due to login problems of which i only affected me for around 24 hours, then i play DAOC and have 2 weeks of lag that make the game unplayable and don't see any compensation. That is certainly one thing WoW has over DAOC.

Since that midnight server maintenance in October? last year, where OT were gonna take the server down at midnight, but the server didn't actually go down. Since then lag on the servers has been as consistant as the weekend at the end of the week.

Marath

Fledgling Freddie
Dunno if it helps but I logged in straight after maintaince with like 100 people online. I had no lag what so ever. Too bad there was no point exping arties with out camp bonuses. 55m a mob when I should get 99m normally dont think so.

So I log out for a few hours and whoa 10sec spikes every minute mostly many inside the same minute.

Dunno what you did but with low people online just after the maintaince it was fine ... the more people are logging in the more I have started to Ld.
Raid is over so I can go play WoW. Good thing they arent lagging.

Ethild

Fledgling Freddie
Requiel said:
These parts of the chain are completely outside our control and whie we are doing all that we can to get them resolved it's not as simple as some posters make it sound.

I disagree. You call you're provider, and say "fix it or we move". They either fix it, or you can find a provider who is non shit. This works all the way up the chain (if its your providers provider etc).

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
Ethild said:
I disagree. You call you're provider, and say "fix it or we move". They either fix it, or you can find a provider who is non shit. This works all the way up the chain (if its your providers provider etc).
I wont explain this again, but sorry youre wrong there. See previous whine threads for an explanation.

elbeek

Part of the furniture
I am with the majority here. The lag issues have been around virtually constantly since SI came out. We have been told a variety of different things and yet it is still present, more so now than ever imo. How much longer will it be before we actually get value for money?

I appreciate that Req is the whipping boy here and I mean no offence but I think that GOA are taking the piss. If it is an ISP problem, why the hell havn't steps been taken to address it? I have personally had enough of the " send pingplots so we can help" replies and to be brutally honest, it doens't fucking wash anymore.

I love the game, always have, always will, but my patience is at an all time low. How will GOA respond if people start to cancel subscriptions en mass?

At some point in the not to distant future I can forsee more and more subscribers cancelling their accounts, I will be amongst them.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
i think elbeek summed up what everyone is thinking, people play this game because they enjoy it, if we cant play it why should we carry on playing? there are other games around now and more coming soon, sorry GOA but you are on the verge of blowing it bigtime.

Starbuck

Fledgling Freddie
I'm not even going to try and read this whole thread but key questions are.

What is being done about it?
When we it be resolved?

Or is it a case of not renew subs, because if all you can do is log in to chat to your friends there really is little point logging in.

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
As far as I see it, a problem occurs, we send plots, it gets fixed eventually, then it's ok for a while (days to months) then another problem occurs.

It's frustrating, and the frequency with which problems occur, and how slowly they get fixed is even more frustrating.

However, to say that the problems are always there, and are never fixed, is simply untrue, at least from what I've seen.

Make sure you are all sending them stuff to help fight the evil lag, or you are, I'm afraid, simply an irate consumer who isn't willing to help himself (or of course, simply letting off steam about the horrible way the game is to play at the moment - at the moment my pings plots are saying we have 3x the packetloss of last night, at 3%, on the last three hops).

Darzil

elbeek

Part of the furniture
The point is that the lag has never been fully fixed. On each and every occasion the servers go down for maintenance it seems as if the lag returns.

Yes it does get fixed for a period of time, but we have to wait an inordinate amount of time for this to occur. I for one have lost what little confidence I had in GOA and personally believe that they do not know how to fix it for good.

Amiga

Can't get enough of FH
Requiel said:
It's not that step which is the problem, it's the routing to that hub from the previous one that is the problem. Unfortunately the hub prior to that is diffenet for differnt peopel and changes over time as well.
This sounds like a typical Cisco problem.. Replace with some better stuff and problem solved :p

majik

Banned
I'd simply hate to have Requiel's job.

It seems everyone has their own ideas and opinions of what GoA should do and who's fault it is. The fact of the matter is, if GoA are not responsible for this then most likely the only thing they can do is relay the information they have to us. In this instance Requiel is doing that, and no amount of telling Requiel or GoA how to run their company will fix the lag problems. GoA are aware of the problem and will be doing everything in their power to fix it.

Poor Requiel:(

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
my biggest worry if the people who came back to DAOC from WoW who'll possibly be tempted to leave again, in addition the new subscribers that GOA were trying to attract are hardly going to be impressed.

Several of my guild logged on, watch thier chars lag around for 2 mins then logged off again. After a few more days of that I think the auto renewal on thier accounts will be getting turned off. Not an idle threat, fact.

Accupuncture

Fledgling Freddie
elbeek said:
The point is that the lag has never been fully fixed. On each and every occasion the servers go down for maintenance it seems as if the lag returns.

Yes it does get fixed for a period of time, but we have to wait an inordinate amount of time for this to occur. I for one have lost what little confidence I had in GOA and personally believe that they do not know how to fix it for good.

As Requil said its not on their servers that the problem arises. Its on the networks/router just before their cluster.

BUT we pay GOA our money for a game and a game that we are unable to play.

I saw the post about GOA stance that its not on their network and its someone elses fault. As such there will be unlikly to provide any form of compensation.

I dont give a flying fart who's fault it is I and everyone else pay GOA and they are not providing us a playable game be it their fault directly or indirectly is of no interest to me.

I and many others expect compentation in the form of free gametime as a result of not being able to play. If that costs GOA money that is their problem to get the money from OT in compensation as they are in breach of there QOS agreement and if they are not GOA need to look for a new hosting company.

elbeek

Part of the furniture
majik said:
I'd simply hate to have Requiel's job.

It seems everyone has their own ideas and opinions of what GoA should do and who's fault it is. The fact of the matter is, if GoA are not responsible for this then most likely the only thing they can do is relay the information they have to us. In this instance Requiel is doing that, and no amount of telling Requiel or GoA how to run their company will fix the lag problems. GoA are aware of the problem and will be doing everything in their power to fix it.

Poor Requiel:(

Not often I agree with you but on this I do :)

My posts are in no way meant to offend Requiel but seeing that GOA have an abject aversion to actually offering us a happy medium, he is in the firing line.

majik

Banned
elbeek said:
Not often I agree with you but on this I do :)

My posts are in no way meant to offend Requiel but seeing that GOA have an abject aversion to actually offering us a happy medium, he is in the firing line.

:)

I'm not always a trigger happy post farmer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom