SPAM random annoying things

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
You can talk at length about a lot of things ;)

Nobody is going to spend £20 on socks for the supermarket run.

Normal socks have 1 use, to protect your shoes from your feet.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
I wear shoes so rarely these days good socks have become a must love remote work

Even at office theres a no shoes policy, but need sturdy socks there as carpet is rough on soft socks

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Currently sitting through our "New Financial Year" presentation with the plans for the new year. All fairly standard, but I can't help wondering - why are Americans always so fucking excited all the time?

"I'm excited to work with you", "I'm excited to see what happens"....or the ultimate "I'm super excited to see what happens".

You aren't excited- you're paid to be here, I guarantee you couldn't give a shiny shite about it at all!

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Americans are generally just super cheerful when it comes to corporate things. My induction day at one American company was mental. I had worked there as a consultant for 18 months, so it wasn't like I was new to the company, but I had to attend anyway. "Let's give a cheer for our new hires!" And if you didn't cheer, the lady in charge would make us re-do it. Every 15 minutes there was cheer-leading style pep rallies, fist bumps and high fives, and other stuff like that. I came out of that 3 hour session feeling like I had joined a cult. When British colleagues moved over, I always told them to have fun at the induction day session, told them they were about to have a culture shock, and and to come and laugh with me afterwards. One new hire came over with eyes wide, and said something along the lines of "That's the most f'ed up thing I have ever been part of in my entire life. And everyone else was going along with it like it was normal". I just nodded and smiled... "Welcome to corporate America".

Bodhi

Oh God, you've reminded me of one particular incident from a few years ago. We were sitting during the opening session of Sales Kickoff nursing our hangovers, and our former President took the stage. Usually a highlight as she was always pretty switched on an insightful, however this one presentation she started appriasing one of our particular products, and said progress with it made her feel good. So good, it made her feel like she wanted to start dancing.

So she did. Then the head of Sales got up and started dancing, then another, and before you know it, 500 odd people were expected to get up in a conference room and start dancing. On a Monday morning with jet lag. WHEN THERE WAS NO MUSIC!

Luckily we Brits figured out we should probably get up to dance that late that the moment had (thankfully) passed, and we all go straight back down again. But still - wow.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Americans are generally just super cheerful when it comes to corporate things. My induction day at one American company was mental. I had worked there as a consultant for 18 months, so it wasn't like I was new to the company, but I had to attend anyway. "Let's give a cheer for our new hires!" And if you didn't cheer, the lady in charge would make us re-do it. Every 15 minutes there was cheer-leading style pep rallies, fist bumps and high fives, and other stuff like that. I came out of that 3 hour session feeling like I had joined a cult. When British colleagues moved over, I always told them to have fun at the induction day session, told them they were about to have a culture shock, and and to come and laugh with me afterwards. One new hire came over with eyes wide, and said something along the lines of "That's the most f'ed up thing I have ever been part of in my entire life. And everyone else was going along with it like it was normal". I just nodded and smiled... "Welcome to corporate America".

I've worked for two American companies, and they both tried the corporate woo-hoo thing in the UK and were both quietly told to fuck off with their nonsense, which to be fair, they did. What surprises me is how often American companies are so tone deaf about local cultures when it's standard business school stuff and has been for decades

Tom

I am a FH squatter
If you want a really good look at American work culture, check out the /antiwork subreddit on Reddit.

We have things very, very good compared to that lot. Thankfully I've been self-employed nearly 30 years so haven't had to deal with any of this.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
The woohoo and the military worship is the stuff that catches me off guard when dealing with US peeps

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
I know obviously you shouldn't judge based on appearance, and I don't like myself for this; But I find Steph McGovern unbearable because of her massive head.

Bodhi

1) Discovering your cat has gone missing.
2) Putting flyers round the neighbours houses, only for one to knock on your door to say they'd had him put down as they thought it was their (female) cat, which came sauntering back in 3 days later.
3) Finding out he'd had a massive heart attack at only 9 years old.

RIP Kit you utterly charming vagrant.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Aw shit @Bodhi. That sucks :(

How did your neighbour mistake your cat for their cat? Wow. At least they did the right thing to come talk to you.

Bodhi

We're still trying to figure that out in all honesty - apparently they got home in the afternoon to find a cat under their car in pain, and they have an identical Tabby so assumed it was theirs and took them to the OOH vets were they determined he'd had a heart attack. Not much they could do sadly so they had him out down, cremated etc, but at no point did they scan for a chip or check to see what sex the cat was.

All a bit odd, but I guess if you're convinced your cat is agony you don't stop to check chips, genital organs etc.

They've also paid for the whole treatment as well, which is nice. Guess we'll have to figure out how to pay them back yet still claim on the insurance.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
They've also paid for the whole treatment as well, which is nice. Guess we'll have to figure out how to pay them back yet still claim on the insurance.
Take their cat and burn it so you're even? ;)

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
1682691950115.png

Got to love this happening the weekend of a bank holiday with our credit card holders being on leave. I am an admit, but not with billing. Sux2BeMe :D

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
sorry to hear Bods. as a freshly minted cat dad this would wreck me :(

in other news my cat managed to somehow get pooh stuck to the entirety of his bottom half and since hes a fluffy bastard I had to break out the scissors to help him out. he did not like that at all, so my hands are in shreds, not to mention my dignity :eek:

DaGaffer

My camera on my Pixel 7 just randomly stops working. Rebooting the whole phone seems to be the only solution, which is definitely the randomly annoying.

Embattle

FH is my second home
My camera on my Pixel 7 just randomly stops working. Rebooting the whole phone seems to be the only solution, which is definitely the randomly annoying.

Not had an issue like that on any of our Pixel 7s...yet.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I have a P7 Pro and I don't have that issue, but I have noticed that if I take a top down image of something on a desk at 2x zoom, it doesn't save. At all. Reported it to Google weeks ago and no change.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Randomly annoying, my cheapo Aldi Ferrex angle grinder went up in smoke today. Presumably the motor windings breaking down or something, but whatever it is it took the battery along with it.

I think only Aldi sell Ferrex, so hopefully if I can't find the receipt they'll accept it back anyway.

Embattle

FH is my second home
I have a P7 Pro and I don't have that issue, but I have noticed that if I take a top down image of something on a desk at 2x zoom, it doesn't save. At all. Reported it to Google weeks ago and no change.

Odd, gave it a try but couldn't replicate it with my P7 Pro.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
See if it doesn't store it with the flash on. Top Shot disabled. I'm not the only one because I asked on Reddit and several other users confirmed the same behaviour.

Embattle

FH is my second home
See if it doesn't store it with the flash on. Top Shot disabled. I'm not the only one because I asked on Reddit and several other users confirmed the same behaviour.

So I turned the Flash to on, which made Top Shot unavailable and did a top down image at 2x Zoom but still no issue on storage.

DaGaffer

Just back from two weeks in the South of France. I do not want to be just back from two weeks in the South of France, I want to be in the South of France.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Just back from two weeks in the South of France. I do not want to be just back from two weeks in the South of France, I want to be in the South of France.
Which bit? We're just about to go through a cold and wet spell (and by cold I mean only high teens :eek:) so you might be pleased to be back home.

DaGaffer

Which bit? We're just about to go through a cold and wet spell (and by cold I mean only high teens :eek:) so you might be pleased to be back home.

Place called Callian in the hills behind Cannes. Lovely old house in the village with massive bedrooms and a pool (and a lot of stairs). Most relaxing holiday I've had in years. We had thunderstorms on the last night, but I'll take that over the Dublin drizzle I'm looking at right now. Mind you, I think May is perfect, I'm not really up for Mediterranean summers any more.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Lack of rainfall is getting pretty serious down here, it's a bit first world problems but you can't even buy an above-ground swimming pool in one region at the moment and there are all sorts of restrictions on private water-use all over the South.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Lack of rainfall is getting pretty serious down here, it's a bit first world problems but you can't even buy an above-ground swimming pool in one region at the moment and there are all sorts of restrictions on private water-use all over the South.
It's a serious problem

It was so hot and dry here last year that only 2/3rds of the sheep have lambed apparently. Of course that comes with a mahoosive knock-on on all of the other nature.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
So, I'm being interviewed for the job I've been doing for four years tomorrow. It'll be a formality, but they're trying to convert me to perm.

I'm very tempted to take it as I get to WFH 100% of the time and I'm pretty much left to my own devices, can manage myself, I know what's important and I'm low maintenance.

Going from contract > perm is going to come at a hewuge cost though. I put in an ask and the boss has told me it's "off their scale". Until I told him what sort of a cut I would be taking.

Anyone got any advice on how to negotiate on salary with a big corp. I don't want to be de-motivated by taking such a huge cut that it's just not worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom