SPAM random annoying things

SilverHood

FH is my second home
I've been getting stuff delivered from Amazon Fresh and it's been pretty decent. Maybe get a bruised apple now and then, but everything else has been good, and it's cheaper than my regular supermarket prices, and I go to the cheaper supermarkets in NYC. Compared to the regular or high end supermarkets, it's massively cheaper, and about the same quality too.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I get immensely annoyed by the fact that the only good pickled onions are Haywards sweet at £2 (I think) a jar. I keep trying alternative versions and they make me hurl.

You can't beat a bowl of good pickled onions.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Tried pickling your own? I've not done onions but do gherkins all the time.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I was thinking about sorting out my phone as payment anyway, so to answer your question, if I were to do that I'd be more likely to do what you said and use self-scan with a phone, yeah.

I also don't like the idea of going through my bags every now and again to check I haven't stolen anything, and I think if what you suggested is implemented it would lead to more abuse so more checking.

If you go to Dutchie land, 70% of supermarket shopping is done this way now; from standing start in 2015.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
If you go to Dutchie land, 70% of supermarket shopping is done this way now; from standing start in 2015.

Which is weird in itself. Euros are usually quite fussy about being tracked and monopolised.

DaGaffer

Which is weird in itself. Euros are usually quite fussy about being tracked and monopolised.

Not really; northern Europeans went cashless very early on, and they're big users of biometrics/digital ID. The difference is they tend to trust their governments.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Not really; northern Europeans went cashless very early on, and they're big users of biometrics/digital ID. The difference is they tend to trust their governments.

There is a difference between being cashless and buying everything through an ap. Sure, I am not naive enough to think my buying habits aren't tracked (and likely sold) by my bank, but I haven't used cash in years. It was actually weird the other week having to get cash out for children in need at work, I still have change that I have no use for.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter

Not my experience (through work), outside of Germany where data protection laws are very strict.

DaGaffer

There is a difference between being cashless and buying everything through an ap. Sure, I am not naive enough to think my buying habits aren't tracked (and likely sold) by my bank, but I haven't used cash in years. It was actually weird the other week having to get cash out for children in need at work, I still have change that I have no use for.

"Cashless" in loads of European countries does mean paying via app; services like MobilePay and Swish cut the card schemes out of the payment process altogether, and they're the dominant payment channel all over northern Europe

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
"Cashless" in loads of European countries does mean paying via app; services like MobilePay and Swish cut the card schemes out of the payment process altogether, and they're the dominant payment channel all over northern Europe

Makes no difference to me, swipe my card or my phone, shit I want gets paid for, in seconds, no use for a load of metal and paper.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Bosses that literally fall asleep in meetings, then after weeks of telling them you can't deal with their shit because you are project managing an entire new IT system installation and dealing with data mapping and all that shit, who then book annual auditors and expect you to deal with all the queries.

I did 60 hours overtime (paid for, I'm not an idiot) in November, enough of this shit. His boss already knows I do his job, he is gone next week (He won't be, but one can dream)

Also, checking work emails at 10 to eleven.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Third support call with Three because the postcode I now live in has clusterfuckingshit signal.

Goal is to get out of my contract and move to o2. Any of you lot know of any good O2 deals?

DaGaffer

My wife is a very clever woman, she runs giant Agile implementations for a major bank. So how is it, at the first sign of cold weather, she can't defrost a car that she's owned for three years? She didn't know where the window defrost switches were and left the car doors wide open with the heating on full blast. It was painful to watch, but I was buggered if I was going to help this time.

This is a safe space right?

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
My wife is a very clever woman, she runs giant Agile implementations for a major bank. So how is it, at the first sign of cold weather, she can't defrost a car that she's owned for three years? She didn't know where the window defrost switches were and left the car doors wide open with the heating on full blast. It was painful to watch, but I was buggered if I was going to help this time.

Leaving your doors open and blasting heating is a thing for fogged up windows right? Or there's always 'stories' in the local rag about it this time of year.

I'm a bit annoyed that I can't lock my car with my other set of keys when I'm defrosting in the morning, I only leave it for like 5 mins, but that's all it takes for someone to do a runner with your car.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter

My wife is head of media planning at one of the UKs biggest consumer goods companies, but can't boil an egg. I feel you.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Leaving your doors open and blasting heating is a thing for fogged up windows right? Or there's always 'stories' in the local rag about it this time of year.

Yes I also heard that is the correct way to do it.
The other suggestion is to turn on the AC.

The cold apparently pulls more of the moisture out of the air

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
You turn on your AC if you have it - and who doesn't now. Window shut. If your car is really moist inside and you don't have A/C then yes, you can crack a window, but door open?

The best way to defrost (inside and out) is to whack the heat up high, full blow on the windows, keep the doors shut, steam the inside of the car to shit and then when you open your car door the warm moist air will get replaced and you'll still have a nice time going to work.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Equalling air temp to start off with is best to start off with, then getting the window nice and warm to stop condensation. I bung the heating on full on the window. Then scrape the ice, by the time I get back in, the window is warm and by breath won't cause condensation. Then switch the heating to all outlets.

DaGaffer

Yes I also heard that is the correct way to do it.
The other suggestion is to turn on the AC.

The cold apparently pulls more of the moisture out of the air

She didn't have the doors open because of science, she had the doors open because it didn't occur to her to close them. And you don't need to worry about fogged up windows if you know where the buttons for the fucking demisters are.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
You turn on your AC if you have it - and who doesn't now. Window shut. If your car is really moist inside and you don't have A/C then yes, you can crack a window, but door open?

The best way to defrost (inside and out) is to whack the heat up high, full blow on the windows, keep the doors shut, steam the inside of the car to shit and then when you open your car door the warm moist air will get replaced and you'll still have a nice time going to work.

We don't have A/C in the Civic. Well we do, but like every other Civic of the same age it's broken. Still, defrosting it this morning took 5 minutes. Turn front window demister to full, turn on heated rear screen, spray de-icer everywhere, finish cigarette whilst condensation goes.

It's even quicker in the BMW thanks to it's industrial grade heater and 3 litre engine which warms up pretty quick, can be off and running in half a cigarette in that.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
We don't have A/C in the Civic. Well we do, but like every other Civic of the same age it's broken. Still, defrosting it this morning took 5 minutes. Turn front window demister to full, turn on heated rear screen, spray de-icer everywhere, finish cigarette whilst condensation goes.

It's even quicker in the BMW thanks to it's industrial grade heater and 3 litre engine which warms up pretty quick, can be off and running in half a cigarette in that.

Old mate of mine from school was selling a 2011 type R with 80k miles on it for *drum roll* £2k.

I was gonna buy but it went like immediately, obviously.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
All these intelligent car owners who don't realise air conditioning will not activate full stop under about 5C.

You want clear windows? Pour lukewarm water onto them and wipe it off. You want to get rid of the fog inside? Towel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom