SPAM random annoying things

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
The fact that everything needs an update all the fucking time. Windows "we have an update for you, we will pester you until you do it" Android, every time you look at your phone "there is an important update" Binned the PS4 ages ago, but that was the fucking same, except it took an hour.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Since another one got posted through the door today, I find it highly annoying when they post those charity collection bin bags through the post box.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Going from making plans to disappear off camping for a few days, after 4 12-hour days in a row, to end up making it 5 12-hour days.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Since another one got posted through the door today, I find it highly annoying when they post those charity collection bin bags through the post box.

They are generally for a good cause, but how much used stuff do they think people are chucking, we get at least 1 a week.

I am more fed up with all the recycling Royal Mail deliver every day. My getting home routine starts with picking up all the crap and throwing in the recycle bin.

Last edited:

Embattle

FH is my second home
They are generally for a good cause, but how much used stuff do they think people are chucking, we get at least 1 a week.

I am more fed up with all the recycling Royal Mail deliver every day. My getting home routine starts with picking up all the crap and throwing in the recycle bin.

We have never used one, I struggle to believe many do and then quite a few are actually businesses on behalf of charities. Then all the waste, all that plastic going to landfill or burning.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
So a couple of weeks ago I started looking at Black Friday deals for a new gaming PC. I wanted a pre-build and it had to be decent spec without being the latest gen announced in the last couple of months (which won't be on sale anyway). Most of the deals were for older GPUs (3060Ti or 3070 at best) and I really wanted get the latest I could. I was also looking on UK sites in the knowledge I could get one delivered to a friend in NI if necessary.

Eventually I found what I was looking for, decent spec and didn't look like it was designed to impress a 14 year old, and a whopping £800 off. The company has an Irish site but the deal isn't on there and they have no Black Friday promos at all (which is very weird). So I pull the trigger and my order goes through. Yesterday I got my tracking details as it wends it's way towards county Down. The fucking thing was assembled in Ireland and right now it's in a depot in Swords, five miles from my house!

Fuck Brexit and all who sail in her.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Can you call them and ask to pick it up from the depot? I have done similar before.

JBP|

Part of the furniture
We have never used one, I struggle to believe many do and then quite a few are actually businesses on behalf of charities. Then all the waste, all that plastic going to landfill or burning.
They will all be collected by private business (or stolen by dodgy Eastern Europeans) and a donation will be made to whichever charity is on the bag. The clothes will mostly end up in Africa/Latvia/Estonia/Lithuania or the Czech Republic.
Whilst the plastic ends up incinerated or in landfil the clothes will not, unless you fill a bag with shit stained pants!
Another option would be to take the unwanted clothes to a cash for clothes place and donate the funds to a charity yourself, or piss it up the wall if your that way inclined.
Charity shops will also sell on the clothes to businesses if they aren't suitable for a shop, also the same applies to the charity clothes banks.

Last edited:

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I wear stuff till it wears out, so they aren't getting much from me.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Fucking Royal Mail strikes*. Where is my weed bruv?

*Pay them properly ffs, you funnelled off half a billion or whatever to cunts shareholders.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Raven is sweaatttinngggg

Not quite, but ordered Friday, would usually arrive on Saturday, but because RM can't be arsed to pay their staff properly, it's coming whenever.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Old people doing their shopping at lunchtimes and wanting to have lovely little chats with cashiers. Just fucking do it in the morning, or the afternoon, ffs.

And yeah, self-service and all that, but not doing that with a weekly shop, self-service machines are a whole different random annoying thing with a big shop.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Old people doing their shopping at lunchtimes and wanting to have lovely little chats with cashiers. Just fucking do it in the morning, or the afternoon, ffs.

And yeah, self-service and all that, but not doing that with a weekly shop, self-service machines are a whole different random annoying thing with a big shop.

Why not do the scan as you go one?

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Yeah this.

Although when I went to Tesco the night before diwali (so my own fault) people were queuing for them! Queuing *before* you shop, amazing! They should reduce the amount of handsets they have, imagine the value of placing items near it :O

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber

I don't do anything that helps marketeers, if I can help it.

The club card price (for example) is a scam, that's the normal price, they just inflate them for a bit, so they can then "discount" them for a bit, so people buy more standard priced stuff, and they don't need to ever bother discounting anything. Tesco are the worst. I actually shop at Morrisons mostly, the least amount of shenanigans (no scanners round these parts)

Last edited:

Gwadien

I know someone that works in IT for Tesco and his wife does too, they were both saying that the current state of self-check out is crazy and is causing loads of issues...

Was a bit nuts when they ripped out half of the tills a couple of months ago - loads of people don't use it still, and I can kinda understand why - if they actually put enough staff there to make sure there's 0 issues and they're immediately dealt with then it'd probably work better, but that defeats the reason why they're there - to reduce staff.

DaGaffer

Yeah this.

Although when I went to Tesco the night before diwali (so my own fault) people were queuing for them! Queuing *before* you shop, amazing! They should reduce the amount of handsets they have, imagine the value of placing items near it :O

Question. If you could do self scan with an app on your own phone and auto pay as you walked out with Apple/Google pay, would you use it?

Gwadien

Question. If you could do self scan with an app on your own phone and auto pay as you walked out with Apple/Google pay, would you use it?

I don't use the self-scan thing, usually because I find self-check out is quick anyway and I don't really do massive shops anyway.

I don't actually use my phone to pay for stuff anyway.

DaGaffer

I don't use the self-scan thing, usually because I find self-check out is quick anyway and I don't really do massive shops anyway.

So you would prefer using a SCO to your own self-scan? Interesting...

Gwadien

So you would prefer using a SCO to your own self-scan? Interesting...

I was thinking about sorting out my phone as payment anyway, so to answer your question, if I were to do that I'd be more likely to do what you said and use self-scan with a phone, yeah.

I also don't like the idea of going through my bags every now and again to check I haven't stolen anything, and I think if what you suggested is implemented it would lead to more abuse so more checking.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I was thinking about sorting out my phone as payment anyway, so to answer your question, if I were to do that I'd be more likely to do what you said and use self-scan with a phone, yeah.

I also don't like the idea of going through my bags every now and again to check I haven't stolen anything, and I think if what you suggested is implemented it would lead to more abuse so more checking.

We had a huge family meal last year and I bought an entire beef fillet (£70 something) at Tesco, along with a bunch of other stuff, was a £200+ shop. Got it from the meat counter, paid for it at the manned till, and then got jumped at the door by some dickhead questioning me about the beef, before he had even seen it in my carrier bags. Wanting to see my receipt etc, came very close to just wheeling my trolley to customer services and making a scene/demanding a full refund for the entire trolley.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter

The club card price (for example) is a scam, that's the normal price, they just inflate them for a bit, so they can then "discount" them for a bit, so people buy more standard priced stuff, and they don't need to ever bother discounting anything. Tesco are the worst. I actually shop at Morrisons mostly, the least amount of shenanigans (no scanners round these parts)

The Clubcard prices are a scam but you still get money off vouchers for using the card. I am biased because I work in the industry but all you are doing by not "helping" marketers is getting ads that are less personalised. You're still going to see ads everywhere so I've never really understood this angle.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
The Clubcard prices are a scam but you still get money off vouchers for using the card. I am biased because I work in the industry but all you are doing by not "helping" marketers is getting ads that are less personalised. You're still going to see ads everywhere so I've never really understood this angle.
Where do you see ads?

I mean, in-shop, or on billboards, yeah. Clubcard or not. But where else do you see ads?

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber

I haven't seen an ad, except on TV on the rare occasion I watch it, and billboards, in years.

The only way they can personalise billboards is with facial recognition, which is illegal. Edit, and even then, they would need to be able to track my purchasing, which isn't going to happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom