SPAM random annoying things

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
People who put .... at the end of every sentence.

Thats not fucking punctuation it's just being a retard.

Does it imply some hidden meaning ? No so stop fucking doing it grrrrr.

vic_bob_handbags.jpg

Punishment

Resident Freddy
As oppossed to him typing an adult reply, so many people i know do it.

It doesn't imply fuck all apart from the fact they can't punctuate

DaGaffer

Just because people use it incorrectly doesn't mean its wrong. An ellipsis used properly is perfectly correct punctuation.

Punishment

Resident Freddy
That statement makes absolutely no sense.

You may aswell have posted.

"Superman pink elephant because grapefruit on thursday mostly..."

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Im a moron for not being psychic ?, from my view it looks like he can't be bothered to reply properly tbh

He could have meant it for dramatic effect. Quicker than typing dun dun duuuuh

DaGaffer

That statement makes absolutely no sense.

You may aswell have posted.

"Superman pink elephant because grapefruit on thursday mostly..."

I'll break it down for you; this: "..." is called an ellipsis. Its used for dramatic effect to build tension or to deliberately leave a a question hanging for the recipient to "fill in the blanks". Used properly its perfectly grammatically correct. Some people don't use it properly, but that doesn't mean the ellipsis is automatically bad grammar, as you seem to imply. Comprende?

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Trying to write a covering letter, and attempting to not sound like a arse-licking dick.

gohan

I am a FH squatter
Tbh it's hard to use an ellipsis incorrectly, as it's literacy terminology and mainly used in poetry or drama etc where it's all artistic license. On the net people mainly use it to create a pause between sentances where I supose a Caesura would be the correct way to do that but as there is no symbol for a casesura using ellipsis to create one is technically correct :)

Do I win the interwebz???????

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
I use it *.....* all the time tbh

......and i like it

gohan

I am a FH squatter
5 dots? ARE YOU INSANE!! what is this meaningless drivel??????

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Tbh it's hard to use an ellipsis incorrectly, as it's literacy terminology and mainly used in poetry or drama etc where it's all artistic license. On the net people mainly use it to create a pause between sentances where I supose a Caesura would be the correct way to do that but as there is no symbol for a casesura using ellipsis to create one is technically correct :)

Do I win the interwebz???????

no. caesuras havent been relevant in literature for 2000 years. and they're not replaced by ellipses in modern translations either.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Letting the recycle bin build up for a few weeks and then accidentally clicking "restore all items" instead of "empty recycle bin". :'(

gohan

I am a FH squatter
no. caesuras havent been relevant in literature for 2000 years. and they're not replaced by ellipses in modern translations either.
You're wrong, a caesura is just a 'cut' so any punctuation that forces the reader (hence why it's mainly drama and poetry) to pause is a caesura, it's a tenique rather than a type of punctuation, so if you're using an ellipsis to create a caesura then that is correct punctuation (an ellipsis can be used EITHER to replace a purposely ommited word OR to leave a sentance unfinished i.e when hinting at something and not out right saying it)

Only reason I know this is because I've just finished A level equivlent English Litt top of the class (standard)

DaGaffer

You're wrong, a caesura is just a 'cut' so any punctuation that forces the reader (hence why it's mainly drama and poetry) to pause is a caesura, it's a tenique rather than a type of punctuation, so if you're using an ellipsis to create a caesura then that is correct punctuation (an ellipsis can be used EITHER to replace a purposely ommited word OR to leave a sentance unfinished i.e when hinting at something and not out right saying it)

Only reason I know this is because I've just finished A level equivlent English Litt top of the class (standard)

Ah, how you've changed. I remember you getting all upset because I called you an illiterate buffoon once. Now you're all caesura this and ellipsis that. Still spelt equivalent wrong though ;)

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I thought an ellipsis was a squashed circle :(

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Fuck sake, Random Annoying Things becoming a fucking English lesson, and a thread popping up giving a Maths lesson.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom