Quick Clarification about Wireless Bridges

xane

Fledgling Freddie
I am struggling to find a simple description for this but from what I gather a Wireless Bridge unit is merely the other end of a Wireless Access Point.

i.e.

Router/Hub --> WAP ---(wireless)---> Bridge --> NIC in PC

Also can you plug a Hub/Switch into a Bridge and get more than one PC linked up over the same connection, has anyone tried this ?

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
What is it you're trying to achieve? Actually setting up a wireless installation or just finding info?

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
In addition to what is decribed there you can get a wifi access point with built in router (for cable or dsl) and ethernet hub which means you can share your internet connection with multiple wired and wireless computers easily. They cost around £50-60 new.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Danya said:
What is it you're trying to achieve? Actually setting up a wireless installation or just finding info?

I have a wireless network right now, the ADSL/Router is connected to a WAP, and I have 2 PCs with Wireless NICs connected.

I want to connect in a third PC, but this one runs on FreeBSD rather than Windows XP and I'd prefer to use the existing working wired NIC than try and get a possibly unsupported Wireless NIC going, remember that FreeBSD does not have native wireless support like Windows XP has.

So, I thought a simple solution is to get a Bridge.

BTW, in anattic's linked thread one setup shows two WAPs communicating with each other, I am sure I looked into this and discovered it was not possible, you needed a specific Bridge unit or a WAP that could act as a Bridge, is it implied this can be done using the "Wireless Bridge" function I've seen in Windows XP ?

One last thing is that I've seen "Wireless Games Adapters" being advertised, enabling you to connect a PS2/X-Box etc using its regular wired connection, I assume these are just Bridge units under a different name ?

]SK[

One of Freddy's beloved
Yeah a bridge would work. You configure the bridge to talk to your wireless network then just plug into the ethernet of your FreeBSD box. Majority of Access Points can be configured to act as bridges, this is a more expensive way of doing it mind.

Ive used Linksys WET11's many a time :(

Yeah I dont see what the actual difference in gaming adapters and normal bridges is. Maybe the gaming adapters dont require a PC to configure the bridges before hand? Gaming over wireless on low latency games is poo anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom