Questions on Sniping

P

[PS] Glaive

My questions on Sniping are:

Do you have to do leading shots on targets (shoot were they will be) or just shoot them?

Can the enemy still see your name above your head? Like in beta :wall:

How many shots does it take to kill a normal grunt?

P

[PS]Venom

Dude :)

Well from what I'm aware it's teh same as in beta.. I think you gotta lead a little bit.

I think anything from 1-3 shots depending on their armour.

BTW we have retail up and running now :D

S

SilverHood

2 shots to kill a grunt if they have more than 50 armor points
if they have 50, or less, 1 shot will usually do

in my experince anyway

and tbh, shooting at moving targets is a waste of ammo, unless they are moving towards/away from you

C

CliffyG

I was under the impression that all hit calcualtions were done client side and as far as i know they hit instantly so you shouldn't need to lead at all.

S

SilverHood

it isn't instant
I can gurantee that 100% since when you snipe, you can see the beam of the bolt

shame you cant dodge it, as it hits you no matter where you move

P

[PS] Glaive

What about sniping with a Anti-Vehicle weapon would that work because normal grunts are an endangered species I can only ever see MAX's :(

S

Siven

I played a sniper for most of my 2 weeks or so in the beta, over 600 kills and id guess that 450+ were from sniping . [/brag] ;)
some info:
1 shot kills standard armour
1 shot kills infiltrators
2 shots kill agile and reinforced

A hit on reinforced armour does 65 damage.

You need to be crouching when you snipe otherwise your cone of fire is too large.
With practise it is fairly easy to hit moving targets, especially infiltrators. Track them and wait till they become totally invisible......means they have stopped and you should have your reticle directly over them=easy kill.

Dont stay in 1 place for too long or anyone with half a brain will be able to find you, UNLESS it is a Really good sniping position,
and be wary of infiltrators closing in on your position.

Note the 1 shot kill on infiltrators...a point blank shot works nicely if an infiltrator finds you and starts to slice you up :)

Advanced targetting implant is a must imo, and surge is very useful.
Try to take 2 medkits if possible.

Thats all for now.
PS. i shall be joining the full game sometime in the next week or 2, so watch your backs :)

S

SilverHood

advanced targeting is cool, but it means your CoF takes longer to settle

Reinforced exo suit, sniper and punisher, and then darklight

check for infils every time you reload ;)

F

Faeldawn

Adv targeting i found to be clumsy and annoying, the 8x zoom the bolt has is good enough.

I found that the audio implant was essential, saved my ass many times from 'stealthers' trying to get behind me.

The implant that shows the enemys health is incredibly useful, so many times i found a dude on half hp wandering around that i could 1-shot.

Afraid that bullets do suffer lag sometimes and the lag of the target can be a factor. Its not really that important, but a good connection really helps for a sniper.

One good tip i can offer is get a friendly pilot to hot-drop you on high hills that are almost inaccessible on foot, managed something like 50 kills from one hill in Solsar one night, the vanu never found me and eventually i ran outa ammo.

S

Siven

Originally posted by Faeldawn
Adv targeting i found to be clumsy and annoying, the 8x zoom the bolt has is good enough.

You should learn your implants, think your getting confused with range magnifier.
http://www.planetside-universe.com/content.php?p=sdImplantInfo

The implant that shows the enemys health is incredibly useful, so many times i found a dude on half hp wandering around that i could 1-shot.

Thats Advanced Targeting, the one i recommended :)

Afraid that bullets do suffer lag sometimes and the lag of the target can be a factor. Its not really that important, but a good connection really helps for a sniper.

Not really, i played beta on 64k isdn to US servers, ping isnt a big issue for this game imo.

S

Siven

Originally posted by SilverHood
advanced targeting is cool, but it means your CoF takes longer to settle

Really? i honestly never noticed that
Originally posted by SilverHood

Reinforced exo suit, sniper and punisher, and then darklight

check for infils every time you reload ;)

Pretty much what i usually take, although i played NC and took the gauss :)
I also dont bother with darklight till BR18, third implant. But thats just me.

Users who are viewing this thread