Sniping

D

darkshines

I have played sniper on all other FPS games i have played. From Delta Force: Land Warrior to BF 1942. I like to think I am a good sniper (but sometimes i get totally owned by everyone else in the game :D) but I always like to get some info before I actually do any sniping. To my list!!

1) What weapon set would you suggest?

2) What armour type is recommended?

3) I am looking at getting a Mosquito, am I wise to?

4) Is a head shot 1-hit kill? And approx how many body shots does it take to bring a guy down?

5) (and the most important) Does this game use any sort of physics to calculate if your round is going to hit? (as I remember in Delta Force you had to do some real skillful shooting to hit a running target, in BF it isnt as hard imo)

P

[PS]Nova

1) There's only one sniper rifle if that's what you mean, the bolt driver. As for other weapons you might want to carry, well that depends on what else you think you'll be doing.

2) If you have the points, reinforced is the heaviest non-MAX armour, but you can't drive any closed cockpit vehicles, including mosquito. You will start with the ability to use agile exosuit armour (2nd one) if you do decide to take a vehicle skill.

3) Depends whether you want to spend 3 points on something just to get where you're going - if you're likely to spend all your time sniping, do you really need a vehicle skill? Personal choice.

4) Nope there's no hit boxes, well OK there's 1 covering the entire body, so a head shot is no different from a torso shot. As for how many shots, someone else will have to answer that, I've heard estimates of between 3 and 7 before for a reinforced armour wearer, but as I'm not a sniper, I couldn't tell you.

5) I have no idea. Some sniper should answer this.

V

Validus

i assume vehicles can be used to get to a nice sniping spot?

B

BrassMonkey

Vehicles can be used, personally i use reinforced armour so i can carry an assualt rifle aswell on my back, then i use a basilisk to get to any snipe points quickly.

And it takes 2 shots to kill someone with the bolt driver, only exceptions to this is the infils take only one shot and the MAX's...well who knows, i generally won't mess with them unless they're on low health.

Of course people will use med kits, and Advanced Regeneration implant to heal themselves after being shot so it may occasionally take more than 2.

And yes you have to 'aim ahead' of them if they're running, and with it taking a while for the aiming cone to settle down you need to predict where they are running.

I enjoy sniping and get plenty kills from it, only real way to find out is to suck it and see.

D

Deadmanwalking

To start with u have to spend ur certs on medium assault this is a preq. for sniping that hmm 6 cert points i think.

From that you will have Agile armour and the sniper rifle lots of ammo and a pistol.

When u get more certs i would recommend an AMS, sounds strange but think about it. You can drive everywhere then deploy and be all nice and stealthed AND have an unlimited supply of ammo. With your medium assault you will have 2 assault rifles which with an ams u can swap to if you feel the need.

After that i would say reinforced armour, this allows you to carry 2 rifles. IE Boltdriver (Sniper) and an assault rifle.

The above is for a dedicated sniper, but with the ams you are handy to have in the squad/at a battle.

And as for the question about shots, it takes 2 shots on any non max infantry, thats if they dont heal or repair in between shots.

ooh last one the biggest tip i can give you... when ppl say fire a few shots then move bloody do it. In PS the sniper leaves a big orange tracer which after 3 shots max will show everyone or miles around where you are.

Good Luck

S

Saturnine

The biggest problem you'll find with sniping is unless you have a monster machine (we're talking 1gig ram at least) then you're going to get (regular) client-lag (pc-freezing etc) - which can make sniping a tad tricky :eek:

When you get to BR6 though, pick up the adv.zoom implant - should help you out a bit ;)

D

Deadmanwalking

NEVER get adv zomm as sniper if you do you ain't worth bothering with :(

Think about the sniper has x8 zoom thats effectively 1 quarter of ur vision cut off add x12 and you can see nothing. The implant you want is Adv targeting, then you can see the sickly ones and pick them off meaning you get more kills for each time you move :)

B

BrassMonkey

Yeah but i snipe from quite extreme distances....and advanced Targeting has a range. Plus it doesn't seem to show me what infil stealthy peeps are good or bad...even though i've been told it should.

S

SilverHood

Originally posted by darkshines
I have played sniper on all other FPS games i have played. From Delta Force: Land Warrior to BF 1942. I like to think I am a good sniper (but sometimes i get totally owned by everyone else in the game :D) but I always like to get some info before I actually do any sniping. To my list!!

1) What weapon set would you suggest?

2) What armour type is recommended?

3) I am looking at getting a Mosquito, am I wise to?

4) Is a head shot 1-hit kill? And approx how many body shots does it take to bring a guy down?

5) (and the most important) Does this game use any sort of physics to calculate if your round is going to hit? (as I remember in Delta Force you had to do some real skillful shooting to hit a running target, in BF it isnt as hard imo)

1. The Sniper Rilfe (bolt Driver)
2. Reinforced Exosuit
3. Not really, since you cant wear reinforced and fly
4. There are no hit zones.... 2 shot to kill anything but MAX'es. Standard vests and infiltration suit are one shot kills.
5, Yes, shooting moving people = PAIN.... can do it at extreme ranges, if they are up close, you simply can't.

Bear in mind that to be an effective sniper, you really need BR8 or BR9

But starting off with the sniping cert might be an idea to see whether you like it or not. Sniping in PS is HARD... requires patience and practise. Ofcourse, shooting dumb people, stupid people and DMW is easy enough.

I recently gave up sniping, as there simply wasn't enough targets around unless it was a large scale battle, and I spent most time fighting toe to toe anyway. :)

D

Deadmanwalking

Re: Re: Sniping

Originally posted by SilverHood
Ofcourse, shooting dumb people, stupid people and DMW is easy enough.

Oi :eek:

D

Deadmanwalking

It was me that gave you your sig .... so pay me some respect!

:spin:

D

darkshines

Thankyou all for the good advice. I know Bolt Driver is the only sniper rifle (why? did they run out of ideas?) but secondaries if you wear reinforced. I think I will take the Basilisk, Reinforced and Medical to heal myself. Then maybe Heavy Assault for the all-round skill :D. Is there a medium assault weapon with main fire mode then some kind of grenade launcher? Or maybe a nice shotgun? So many weapons so few holsters!!! :)

B

BrassMonkey

Currently my sniper is also specced in AV with the Lancer...bit of a hotch potch mix but when i get sick of sniping i just go hunting for vehicles or MAX's. Like today i was defending one side of a bridge, i was blowing away the vehicles with my lancer then picking off any that bailed with my rifle.

F

Faeldawn

Sniping moving targets is very difficult, usually best to track them, eventually they will stop to type, pick up summit or scratch themselves.

Advanced Targetting implant is handy as it shows the health of your target, so you can look for wounded players to kill with 1 shot.

HP regen is also worth considering, as you are crouched at the time, regenning half a bar is no problem.

Also consider Darklight vision, cloakers luv to creep up on unsuspecting snipers :)

As for vehicles, the AMS is a good choice, but limits you to Agile armour, sure you can swap to RF (if you get the cert), but then you have to swap back to be able to drive it, if yer in a hurry this can cost you yer life. Then again, RF isnt necessary for a sniper imo as long as you carry a pistol.

A Basilisk or Harasser is another good vehicle choice, both can travel over rough terrain and you can drive em in RF armour and both have nice boot-space for extra ammo and weapons. In the case of the harasser throw out yer vehicle ammo if yer flying solo, youll never use it and it gives you xtra room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom