A couple of questions...

M

mirieth

I'm thinking of joining Planetside when my exams are over in 3 weeks and I have a couple of questions if you people wouldn't mind answering for me :).

1) How is the game in terms of being able to pick it up and put it down, as it were, whenever you want? I don't really want to get sucked into another game like I did daoc.

2) How do 56k users do?

and finally 3) can anyone give me any info. on the game card system of payment? as I don't have a cc.

Cheers guys.

S

SilverHood

1)

Log on, do the first 10 mins of Virtual Reality
Spec into something basic

Go have fun / instant action

2) Dunno

3) No info released yet

P

[PS]Venom

2)

Apparantly 56K isn't bad at all so long as you have a decent amount of memory.

O

old.Dillinja

I would be able to just quit and stop playing quite easily if I had something to do.

Secondly, as a 56ker you should be a hacker or medic or maybe a pilot, something that doesn't involve much shooting.

J

Jupitus

56k isn't too bad except in the really hefty fights, when you respawn to where there are loads of players and it has to get all of that info at once as you spawn. I did find, though, that Demon internet seem to suffer packet loss on their route, so I switched to my 'crappy' connection, Freeserve (local call charges) and it's actually alot better... go figure.

Cya soon, I hope :)

Jup.

O

Old_Bean

56k is also great for killing people who are behind walls.

Client side damage you see, if you are attacking someone on a faster connection, they may be behind a wall on their screens, but they lag on your screen so you can kill 'em. Grrrrrr.

F

fyraie

I recently had a weekend of 56k, though usually on adsl. It was fine most times outdoors, and it was nice to be giving out the bending motion seeking assault rifle rounds rather than recieving them :)
Though respawning in a busy zone is a few day affair, and reloading and implant activation was really funky for me on 56k :(

Fine for playing I think, just don't drive anything fast!

P

[PS]Nova

Yeah when it lags, vehicles can be fun. Was getting really bad lagspikes last night (there's a full thread about it somewhere) and I could drive around just fine in my lightning but when it recovered, I'd usually be in a completely different place, and quite possibly have run several people over :p

I daren't even look at my grief points this morning :p

O

Old_Bean

Does that explain why you get sunderers on top of bases sometimes?
And ants spawning upside down and then killing their drivers for no reason?
Or a vehicle is created invisibly, and when you go over to check it, it suddenly appears and you're killed because you were standing there when is appeared?
Or, or, or....I'm sure you lot have plenty more examples.

P

[PS]Nova

Originally posted by mung
Does that explain why you get sunderers on top of bases sometimes?
And ants spawning upside down and then killing their drivers for no reason?
Or a vehicle is created invisibly, and when you go over to check it, it suddenly appears and you're killed because you were standing there when is appeared?
Or, or, or....I'm sure you lot have plenty more examples.

Some of those can be explained by lag, other.. who knows.

Some kind of glitch I'd guess.

Suggest people start trying to keep a kind of log, maybe screenshots, and report them. Maybe they will fix it then.

S

Saturnine

PS is not nearly as deep as DAoC. It has much faster action, and is much easier to get into... but (being realistic) its essentially another tribes game with fancy edges and the chat-system is a tad awkward so you don't bond with people quite so fluidly as you can in DAoC.

For "instant action" when you've nowt else to do in an afternoon its absoloutly awesome. For creating a character, making many lasting friends and growing into an "sc-armour-clad wonder machine".... stick to daoc ;)

As for 56K... the game engine is pretty dire in its own right (the "ideal" system for it would have over a gig of ram)... and on cable I can get a touch laggy in ma-hoosive fights. However from what i see most players don't ever seem to complain about lag.

P

[PS]Nova

Most of the time, i don't get lag.

Only last night has been really terrible so far..

Maybe I'm just lucky, who knows.

P

[PS]Mung

Originally posted by Saturnine
PS is not nearly as deep as DAoC.

And for that I am truely greatful.
Deep means TIME CONSUMING and I'd rather not be stuck in front of the screen all through summer.

P

[PS]Nova

Yeah, I'd much rather have a game that I can actually play, instead of logging in, looking for a group for twenty minutes, giving up in frustration because I hate random groups anyhow, deciding to do some crafting, tearing my hair out in boredom in an hour... rinse and repeat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom