Advice PTR records

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
Anyone here with any experience on PTR records???

Basically we've moved offices and are now experiencing difficulties sending emails to a few of our clients, the problem appears to be no PTR record set up for RDNS. Now I'm not overly educated in DNS nor this, but from my own research I am led to believe that the people who control the IP addresses we use should be the ones who can set these PTR records up for me? Is this correct.

I have been in touch with the people who supposedly own the IP addresses that come into our building but they have said it's got nothing to do with them at all :(

soze

I am a FH squatter
The ISP are the only people who can change PTR records and you need them to same the same as the domain in your SMTP header for them to work. If it is a hosted building you will have no dealing with the ISP that controls that IP Range so they will need to request it for you or give you the information.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Ask your ISP, and look around for alternative contact details for people who actually have a clue.

Yrendan

Can't get enough of FH
Give info about your mx records m8 and I'll tell you if it is possible to change PTR. If its not possible to change PTR eg static ip connection without block of real ips you should tweak your mx records a bit.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
This is a common problem for people who run their own email servers. A lot of SMTP software and / or anal sysadmins have strict validation on the source IP address of the server sending them mail as an anti-spam measure. To cover most situations you often to ensure the following:

1) The configured hostname of your mail server (e.g mail.me.com) when resolved should match the ip address you are sending from.
2) A reverse DNS lookup on the source ip address (this is the DNS PTR record) should then also resolve to that same hostname.

If you get a mis-match or failure on either you can get rejected mail. So yes, it will be down to the ISP that owns your IP address to update the PTR record to match your mail server but if you get connectivity through a 3rd party and not directly to the ISP you may have problems with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom