Mozila wants world record

Bob007

Prince Among Men
Seems Mozila wants to break the world record for most downloads in 24 hours when they release Firefox 3

details

"This is the first record attempt of its kind so there is no set number. We'd really like to outdo the number of Firefox 2 downloads on its launch day, which was 1.6 million. Let's shoot for 5 million--the sky is the limit!"

Seems theres no record for this atm, maybe FH should set 1 first :)

bigfunkymonkey

Fledgling Freddie
I am really liking IE7 to be honest, but i guess i will give the new version of firefox a go, it seems like it has some nice new features. I think 5 mil might be a little optimistic though.

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi guys

Like bigfunkeymoney, I also use happily IE7 (now IE8 Beta 1). That said, I will try and switch to Firefox 3 since its new memory management is pretty much the best out there.

As for download figures, it wouldn't surprise me if they hit five million, but it's a pretty meaningless world record. Download figures rarely represent actual users, and those browsers which push automatic updates always have an edge. Anyway, good luck to them :)

Kind regards

Ominous

Banned
I use Firefox mainly over Explorer. Great thing is with Firefox are the growing number of Addons. I use FireFTP to work on websites and also POW (server) to transfer files along with Flashgot which works with my Getright download manager. Just a few I use out of hundreds.

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
Firefox 3 is probably the biggest improvement of the browser since it changed from Mozilla to Firefox. Performance wise, it's out of this world.

Embattle

FH is my second home
I've dabbled with FF and it is good but I just can't find anything that it does over IE that I actually need.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I happily use IE7 as well. It works well for me.
Will have a look at FF3 and if I think its better I will use that...

Always used to use Netscape but that has not been so good these days.
I think MS managed to kill them off quite well.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Firefox with Adblockplus and Noscript wins every day. Had a look at the new IE and thought it looked horrid, the performance wasn't exactly good either.

WiZe^

Can't get enough of FH
Firefox with Adblockplus and Noscript wins every day. Had a look at the new IE and thought it looked horrid, the performance wasn't exactly good either.

amen :D

bigfunkymonkey

Fledgling Freddie

I thought the auto hide menu bar and the very minimalistic look if it was excellent (what else do you need but an address and search bar) - I could never quite get as much screen real estate out of firefox.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Mate of mine swears by Opera. I'm on Ubuntu posting this is FF3b5, no complaints :)

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi guys

I have a friend who loves Opera too. In fairness, it is a great alternative, but it still lacks Firefox's community and corporate backing (although Opera Mobile is a lot more popular, as well it should be).

As for IE8, currently it's a beta for developers to test the new rendering engine, so it's a little unfair to point out performance issues. I use it as my main browser and it crashes pretty much every day, so it's fair to say things should improve in later builds.

As for Firefox, hopefully v3 will encourage more people to try it. Although IE is often 'good enough', myself included, I think Firefox now has enough features out of the box to really encourage people to switch.

Competition is a good thing :)

Kind regards

Jonty

P.S. For completeness, yes there's Safari, but unless you own a Mac then it's still not so pleasant to use on Windows.

Mazling

Can't get enough of FH
I've been on Firefox3 rc1 for a few days now and It has been rock solid, noticably faster, and muchly spiffy!

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I thought the auto hide menu bar and the very minimalistic look if it was excellent (what else do you need but an address and search bar) - I could never quite get as much screen real estate out of firefox.

You obviously do not realise how customisable firefox is then. Mine gives me more screen space than IE. It depends how you configure it and what theme you use.

bigfunkymonkey

Fledgling Freddie
You obviously do not realise how customisable firefox is then. Mine gives me more screen space than IE. It depends how you configure it and what theme you use.

Just downloaded it again, and yeah you're right, I'm wrong. I guess it was just that it didnt work with some sites I use that has stopped me using it....I will check it out and see if they have sorted that out.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
There is a firefox add-on that lets you open links or pages in IE. So if you do come across an unsupported site you can open it in IE.

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
There is a firefox add-on that lets you open links or pages in IE. So if you do come across an unsupported site you can open it in IE.
IEView :) This is handy, since it's not really Firefox's fault, it's mainly that many of the problematic websites are poorly designed.

Kind regards

JingleBells

FH is my second home
IEView :) This is handy, since it's not really Firefox's fault, it's mainly that many of the problematic websites are poorly designed.

Kind regards

There's also IE Tab, which turns a firefox tab into an IE tab, instead of launching internet explorer.

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
There's also IE Tab, which turns a firefox tab into an IE tab, instead of launching internet explorer.
Thanks JingleBells! (I was showing my ignorance ><) That's a more elegant solution than having to launch the browser separately.

Kind regards

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Gah how irritating. I had my ff 2 running beatuifully compact. File menu as icons ala IE, and all in line with the address bar and buttons. Now I can get everything inline in ff3, but can't get the file menu back as buttons. Guess it was a feature of one of the styles or themes I was using before. Cant remember how :(

Edit, found it. Add-on called personal menus. Get it if you have FF2.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
ta, think I may just wait for FF 3 final before bothering with add-ons.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
I was a Firefox convert about a year back once I discovered AdBlock, and it has Orbit integration covered as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom