PS3 needs a proper price cut NOW

soze

I am a FH squatter
WTF

They just gave the 60 Gb BC COMPATIBLE version a big price cut. If you want BC then buy one with it. They're not forcing you to buy the 40Gb.

Looking at the artical posted above it says the 60gb is while stocks last then the 40gb will be th only version in europe. Prolly untill a new 80 or 100gb version comes out

Aada

Part of the furniture
Sony sucks nuts leaving out the backwards stuff in this cutdown to the bone PS3.

Might pick one up in 2 years time when they are on the 'To Clear Shelf' at Tesco.

No 60gb version either in Europe when the stock runs out? hm Sony admitting theres a problem selling the PS3 in Europe then?

Mass Effect out next month i feel sorry for anyone who doesn't own a 360 when that game comes out.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
WTF

They just gave the 60 Gb BC COMPATIBLE version a big price cut. If you want BC then buy one with it. They're not forcing you to buy the 40Gb.

They won't offer any more 60gb once they've sold.

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
But it's available now at a decent price. So if you want it, you can buy it.

Only the minority really care about BC, that's why Sony stripped it.

The people complaining the most are the people who don't even want a PS3 (mostly xbox trolls).

nath

Fledgling Freddie
You could, y'know, get one before they sell out :)

I imagine they'll won't disappear off the shelves that quickly.

The people complaining the most are the people who don't even want a PS3 (mostly xbox trolls).

I can't possibly imagine who you mean :)

soze

I am a FH squatter
Sony sucks nuts leaving out the backwards stuff in this cutdown to the bone PS3.

Might pick one up in 2 years time when they are on the 'To Clear Shelf' at Tesco.

No 60gb version either in Europe when the stock runs out? hm Sony admitting theres a problem selling the PS3 in Europe then?

Mass Effect out next month i feel sorry for anyone who doesn't own a 360 when that game comes out.

You really are speacial the cut down to the bones ps3 is still has more technology than the 360. Losing backward compatibility is a head scratcher but you really have to be a mug to think that will be a nail in the coffin.

If all the anti PS3ers are correct there are millions and millions of the 60gb versions sitting there about to get a £75 price cut, Go get one of those ;) I for one sold all my PS2 games when i sold my PS2

Sony explain why BC went
The new 40GB model is also no longer backwards compatible with PlayStation 2 titles. This is due to a reduced emphasis placed on this feature by later purchasers of PS3, as well as the availability of a more extensive line-up of PS3 specific games, which will number a total of 65 titles across all genres by Christmas 2007.

Sony said:
"The introduction of the 40GB model has been the result of extensive research into the entertainment needs and preferences of the next generation of PS3 owners," said David Reeves, President of SCEE. "It has allowed us to deliver an extremely advanced, yet highly affordable High Definition gaming and entertainment system, configured to the needs of the next generation of European PS3 owners. PS3 has always been the device of choice for the discerning gamer and entertainment seeker, and the new 40GB model is more than ever the perfect High Definition entertainment system."

They mention entertainment system alot

Yaka

Part of the furniture
prolly trying to cater to the "casual gaming" scene which will be addressed with the new eyetoy camera and the abysmal singstar range both of which did well on ps2.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
But Euro version had software backwards compatibility. Where's the cost ?

I've already said I want a PS3 not an Xbox so I'm no M$ fanboi. Still think it's a dumb decision.

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
But Euro version had software backwards compatibility. Where's the cost ?

PS3 #1 contains the PS2's CPU AND GPU
PS3 #2 (our 60Gb version) contains the PS2's GPU, emulates the CPU
PS3 #3 has no PS2 hardware at all.

So no, Europe never had 100% software emulation.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
compatiblility was getting close to 100% with fw updates,

if running unsigned code was a possibility then mabe a homebrew emu for ps2 woulda been possible, but after 1.50 sony has wrapped up the ps3 preety tight.

atm apart from 60gb ps3s only PCSX2 runss ps2 games really well, tho a beefy pc is needed atm:/

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
But it's available now at a decent price. So if you want it, you can buy it.

Only the minority really care about BC, that's why Sony stripped it.

You are hardly one to comment on other peoples trolling now are you?

I bought a ps3 for bluray, but also so I could play the decent ps2 titles. For this reason I sold my ps2. If my ps3 went tits up, I would be very pissed off if sony could only replace it with a non BC version. There are no ps3 titles available at all that I wish to buy, there are plently of ps2 titles that I can get for cut prices and have upscaled to look nicer. If Sony do not release a "pro" version in Europe to replace the 60gb version they are being very short sighted.

I can only think of a few reasons they might do this. They are going to continue to support ps2 hardware in the longterm in europe, and want people to have to buy ps3 and ps2 hardware to play both sets of games. They are going to stop producing ps2 hardware and software soon, which seems very unlikely as it makes them money. Or they are going to make the ps2 back catalouge available via PSN, in versions that will play on their cut down system.

Again I can only be baffled by Sony, they moan about cost in putting BC compatibility into the Euro console, but still charge more for them than the US/Jap versions, then they potentially cost them selves software sales by not letting future ps3 buyers use the ps2 back catalouge.

Delket

One of Freddy's beloved

I bought a ps3 for bluray, but also so I could play the decent ps2 titles. For this reason I sold my ps2. If my ps3 went tits up, I would be very pissed off if sony could only replace it with a non BC version. There are no ps3 titles available at all that I wish to buy, there are plently of ps2 titles that I can get for cut prices and have upscaled to look nicer. If Sony do not release a "pro" version in Europe to replace the 60gb version they are being very short sighted.

I can only think of a few reasons they might do this. They are going to continue to support ps2 hardware in the longterm in europe, and want people to have to buy ps3 and ps2 hardware to play both sets of games. They are going to stop producing ps2 hardware and software soon, which seems very unlikely as it makes them money. Or they are going to make the ps2 back catalouge available via PSN, in versions that will play on their cut down system.

Again I can only be baffled by Sony, they moan about cost in putting BC compatibility into the Euro console, but still charge more for them than the US/Jap versions, then they potentially cost them selves software sales by not letting future ps3 buyers use the ps2 back catalouge.

Agreed, I really couldn't care less if my money goes to Sony or MS but i do care about the experience a console gives me. I had a ps3 on preorder till i found out they took out hardware BC and while this cut down version might of tempted me to buy one they've removed a selling point from a console which, for what i want it for is lacking in those already.

From reports ive heard and what people say its a great media centre, it can upscale DVDs very well and Blu-ray is nice for those who want it. Probably the media choice for those peeps with huge sound/HD systems. Problem is i have a PC for my media needs so that side of things doesn't attract me, although its great for those who can make use of that side.

On the flipside I honestly feel that its a pretty obvious the 360 outclasses the ps3 in the games department with a ton of really nice games, many of which are only on the 360. The ps3 does have some good titles but nothing really is a console shifter and the lineup in the next 6 months isnt fantastic.

So really for the average person who isn't solely set on their allegiances i think thats what it boils down to. If you want media primarily and games second get a ps3, for pure gamage get the 360. Arguing that next years titles/equipment etc for either console would change that is fruitless as you would have to be a moron to buy a depreciating electronic item just to wait 6 months when it would be cheaper anyway.

Threads like these will go on forever though as no-one can win a war where no side has an overall advantage so really the MS lovers need to accept the ps3 has a lot of unfilled potential and the Sony peeps need to realise that MS have developed a true contender to the PS throne.
Remember competition is a good thing, keeps prices down and the desire to create great content up!

Opt1

Fledgling Freddie
I'm not bothered about BC, so the price cut is a great thing for me. If I could afford to pick up a PS3 at the mo (poor student w/360) and there were more games, I'd pick one up..

Hopefully the price will be cut some more by the time the good games start coming out :]

What I don't entirely understand is why you need a 160Gb HD for console gaming? How many demo's do you want to download?? Or do some places have downloadable movies, TV progs, etc. now?

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
There is some rampant fanboism going on in this thread now sadly but I will try to stay even handed.

The PS3 has alot to offer, as Soze will tell you I have always said that but I have never been convinced by the way Sony brought the console to market and I am still not. That said I am prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt, however on a personal note I am very sad to see PS3 losing the ability to play PS2 games. As we all know 90% of the best games from the previous generation were on the PS2 and frankly many of those games are better than any of the current PS3 games.

Killing backwards compatabilty is a real loss for me personally, I want the ability to be able to play all time classics like God of War on my PS3 instead of being forced to buy a PS2 and run in standard definition. For that reason alone I won't consider the £299 PS3. That leaves me with the next model up which is still a little too rich for my blood and looks like it is being phased out as well. If in the future all new PS3's are going to have backwards compatabilty stripped out then Sony just lost a customer, not a potential customer either but a nailed on sale. I have always said I will be getting a PS3 at some point but when the price is right, we are close to that time now but Sony have gone and yanked the carpet out from under my feet for the moment. I cannot afford the high end version and I will not buy the low end if it doesn't play PS2 games.

Now I want to add this. Why can't Sony do what Microsluts did and just do 100% emulation in software? The PS3 is more than capable of it, Sony can well afford the hire a team of crack emulator coders to get the job done. It just seems very lazy to me that they are dropping PS2 support. :(

FuzzyLogic

Kicking squealing Gucci little piggy
Now I want to add this. Why can't Sony do what Microsluts did and just do 100% emulation in software? The PS3 is more than capable of it, Sony can well afford the hire a team of crack emulator coders to get the job done. It just seems very lazy to me that they are dropping PS2 support. :(

That'll be the announcement after next :p

ST^

Can't get enough of FH

Why not?

You should have notice that I don't spend my time speaking negatively about the 360, generally just speaking positively about the PS3. How is that trolling :confused:

Stimpy

Fledgling Freddie
I don't know where people get this £500 for a PS3 from I bought mine about 5 weeks or so ago and it cost me £330 - given the fact I bought my 360 at launch for £280 I don't think thats a bad price.

soze

I am a FH squatter

Yeah it was said a few pages back the 60gb will be a while stock lasts machine. It is a joke im hoping for the sake of PR in europe they are going to anounce a 120gb version when the 50s have sold out for a nice price with backward compatibility.

The smart move now is getting the £349 value pack anyone buying the £299 version is insane in my eyes :)

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Yeah it was said a few pages back the 60gb will be a while stock lasts machine. It is a joke im hoping for the sake of PR in europe they are going to anounce a 120gb version when the 50s have sold out for a nice price with backward compatibility.

The smart move now is getting the £349 value pack anyone buying the £299 version is insane in my eyes :)

From what I have been reading it looks like backwards compatabilty is going to be removed right across the range before long. This is a big mistake by Sony, they won't be getting my money if I can't play God of War 1 and 2 on the PS3. I will buy a PS2 instead and wait until God of War 3 comes out on PS3 which is looking like 2009.

soze

I am a FH squatter
From what I have been reading it looks like backwards compatabilty is going to be removed right across the range before long. This is a big mistake by Sony, they won't be getting my money if I can't play God of War 1 and 2 on the PS3. I will buy a PS2 instead and wait until God of War 3 comes out on PS3 which is looking like 2009.

From what i Understand about Sony and BC God of War 1 would never play as they worked towards the latest version of the game only. Its slack but i do not think they have ever given that much though to BC

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
From what i Understand about Sony and BC God of War 1 would never play as they worked towards the latest version of the game only. Its slack but i do not think they have ever given that much though to BC

Tragic :( Ahh well, secondhand PS2 it is for Christmas I guess.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Tempted to import an 80gig US one now tbh.

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
PS2 game playback is not region free btw.

Isn't the new 60Gb bundle price better value than an import anyway?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Tempted to import an 80gig US one now tbh.

Like ST said, you will then have to get import ps2 games as well. The 60gb Uk version plays the majority of ps2 games fine, firmware updates have made it very good. The only fear is sony not continuing to improve BC as they move away from it with the new models.

Someone get the Ted here so he can tell SCEE what muppets they are being.

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
You also have the issue of blu-ray and DVD region encoding. I don't think an import is worth it. If you import, get the USA 60Gb with 100% hardware emulation!

soze

I am a FH squatter
R1 could be considered a benefit by many people.

Yep $28 and below for a blu ray £14 beats the £24 we have to pay for being Brittish. If you can get delivery chaep enough its a nice saving

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Actually not because of prize soze. We are in the same BD region as Australia, it works out to £12 for most hd-dvds and blu-rays including shipping from Oz. More because of earlier releases, and the better features that USa still seems to benefit from.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Actually not because of prize soze. We are in the same BD region as Australia, it works out to £12 for most hd-dvds and blu-rays including shipping from Oz. More because of earlier releases, and the better features that USa still seems to benefit from.

Where do you shop that gives you delivery for £2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom