Film Prometheus

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
What a pile of bollocks.

I've not read this thread, but unless this thread somehow manages to re-write the entire film and refund my fucking imax money, then I cba to read it.

Aada

Part of the furniture
One of the most disappointing films related to one of the most loved franchises ever, will we ever have a decent Alien/Predator film ever again?

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Where do I start?
Visually a step above , but the character building and execution was on par with a cheap BBC drama, main characters losing their lives in woefully unconstructed situations.
The geologist character was just painful, as soon as he opened his mouth I knew the film was in trouble.
I don't mind him hashing together classic characters from Aliens and a few were spot on, but the rest were
dire and belonged in an episode of Primevil.
Did enjoy it hough and it was very gripping in parts, I just wished he'd made it the classic he promised.

old.user4556

I never thought I would say it, but I agree with Job - you're right about the characters.

One of the most important space missions ever costing a trillion dollars, to go and find the origin of man, even potentially "God" and you send a team of idiots that don't know each other and squabble like petulant kids? Bitch please, the acting was like watching an episode of Spooks or Dr Who. The characters seemed to make seemingly implausible and ridiculous decisions at times to hold the story together. It started so well, the opening scene and concept felt like it was going to tee up an awesome story, but it was "how to make an Alien movie for dummies" as soon as they landed and went looking for the ship. Hell, the only thing missing from this to make it an Alien re-hash were face huggers, but instead we got some silly penis / cobra combination. For me, there were more questions than answers, perhaps the director's cut with deleted scenes added will provide some more clues. I felt the plot was very disjointed, leaving it far too open for interpretation meaning I had to surmise and conject ideas in my own head about what was going on because the film failed so badly to offer a solid story. I've read the rest of this thread and can see why some of you liked it (like me, you're having to openly discuss and surmise to make any sense of it).

The only redeeming qualities of this film were that it was audibly and visually stunning. I went to see it at the IMAX and it was absolutely tremendous. The character of David was the only thing that helped keep this movie together. Fassbender's performance of a clinical, dark android sporting a hidden agenda was excellent. If there was ever a "Nazis in space" with the on-board SS crew employing an artificial person, then David wouldn't be out of place.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
you send a team of idiots that don't know each other and squabble like petulant kids?

It's like that in most spacey US productions though(SG:U for example). It seems like in an application form for US spaceflights there's a section "How well do you get along in a professional environment with other people?" and if you answer anything over "Rather poorly" you're not in :D

old.user4556

Send an unmanned space probe. That's where technology is going in this day - drones, unmanned probes to other planets to check shit out before spending a shit load of cash and endangering human lives.

A yes! But Weyland (why Guy Pearce in shit makeup? Why not an actual old person? Fuck sake) wanted to see it for himself on the off chance he could be saved or have death reversed. Why not have Weyland put into stasis back on earth (clearly, he can be indefinitely preserved in stasis), send an unmanned space probe and work it out from there?

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Visually a step above , but the character building and execution was on par with a cheap BBC drama, main characters losing their lives in woefully unconstructed situations.

Sorry what? Rewatch the first Alien again. It's exactly the same.

I never thought I would say it, but I agree with Job - you're right about the characters.

One of the most important space missions ever costing a trillion dollars, to go and find the origin of man, even potentially "God" and you send a team of idiots that don't know each other and squabble like petulant kids?

Again, watch the first film again. Funnily enough you spend time with people in space in a confined environment and yes, people will get tetchy with each other. This is present in Alien, go watch it again if you can't remember. No-one ever complains about this part of Alien.

Hell, the only thing missing from this to make it an Alien re-hash were face huggers, but instead we got some silly penis / cobra combination.

Erm, you do realise that HR Geiger's design for Alien creatures have *always* been constructed out of organic human parts? The facehuggers you talk of are vaginas and fingers with an added tail. This design is consistent and what it should be.

Some complaints people have are valid, some really... don't seem to be so.

Job

Wazzer, the original Aliens can't even be mentioned in the same sentence as Pro, when it came out it was revelation, using street style character acting in a space environment and it was executed perfectly.
Pro was dire, the scene were the cobra thing first appeared, I was thinking 'no please don't do the fat guy from Jurassic Park', but he did and no-one in Aliens would have done that.
Oh and David was Dave from 2001
I'm sorry but it was just a juiced up Stargate, which is probaly the worst scifi movie of all time.
I mean LOL the rolling out of the way of the ship, it was about 150ft wide and she did three rolls.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Alien and Aliens are different films btw. Watch Alien. They're all fucking stupid. It's a theme. Humanity = stupid and can't see past what's right in front of their face. That whole point is mirrored in the "company's" desire to create weapons from the creatures. Short sightedness is a human trait, and both Alien and Prometheus are full of it. It's supposed to be like that.

Also, she didn't roll "out of the way" of the ship. She tried but failed and saved herself by scuttling up to some rocks that were taller than she was, leaving a hole for her to be safe in.

Did you even watch the film? It doesn't sound like it when you say things like that :D

Job

I get the gist of the style,Alien was the first ever space movie to do that and have dirty looking spaceships, that's what made it so amazing in it's day, but it's like he took the idea and just turned it up to 11 without checking the results, the geologist was like some paradoy of a narky british roadie you'd find in Waynes world.
Overall though it was entertaining and the medical machine scene was pretty fucking stimulating.

opticle

Part of the furniture
The worst scene is undoubtedly and unarguably the geologist / etc. encounter with the space-penises. That really does highlight how they just went WTFLOL in a fair few places with the script and story. It doesn't make any sense. Neither do a lot of other bits. Which is a shame. Completely agree with Big G and Job. But also visually stunning.

old.user4556

Erm, you do realise that HR Geiger's design for Alien creatures have *always* been constructed out of organic human parts? The facehuggers you talk of are vaginas and fingers with an added tail. This design is consistent and what it should be.

Oh yes, very familiar with his work - the penises with babies' heads for a glans are probably the most twisted.

I'm not dissing the aliens in the movie, far from it; I'm more referring to the general feel of the first 40% of the film that panned out in almost exactly the same way as Alien did which didn't wash well with me.

Edit: I've not even started picking apart the whopping plot holes yet :D.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Edit: I've not even started picking apart the whopping plot holes yet :D.

Any plot holes will be filled in by the Super Duper Pooper Mega-HD-Ray Directors Cut that comes out in 2018! :D

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I get the gist of the style,Alien was the first ever space movie to do that and have dirty looking spaceships, that's what made it so amazing in it's day,

What, you mean apart from 1972's Silent Running, 1974's Dark Star?

old.user4556

I mean LOL the rolling out of the way of the ship, it was about 150ft wide and she did three rolls.

That part was so retarded that I started to laugh in the cinema. Either of them could have walked 20 yards either sideways direction to avoid it. The spaceship was destroying everything in its path, but it came to rest on a rock.

I cannot unsee this abortion.

old.user4556

I saw that earlier, I could feel that they wanted to rip it apart completely. Summed up nicely.

megadave

I am a FH squatter
I thought it started well but gradually went downhill from about the time that annoying bitch ran out to save the head. Although obviously every scene with the biologist and geologist before that was dire.

It was riddled with plot holes. I bet everyone discussing David talking to Weyland with the helmet on is just another inconsistency.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
I do understand that a lot of people like things to be less ambiguous in films.

But the ambiguity in Prometheus is intentional and is a device. The whole premise is about people trying to find answers to seemingly unanswerable questions. Nearly every character in the film is trying to answer something/some question/some problem.

This is also highlighted by parts of the dialogue. Been reminded to post this as the Prometheus twitter account posted: "How far would you go to get your answers?"

It's not meant to be wrapped up into a neat little packaged bubble. We all know it's the start of something 'bigger' than itself.

If there's still loads of holes and questions that don't seem sensible at the end of the trilogy (if that does indeed take us up to 'Alien') then these complaints will become valid but at this stage I really think it's too early to tell.

Job

What, you mean apart from 1972's Silent Running, 1974's Dark Star?
I intentionally left them about because I'g forgotten about them and will now download both for a night of retro warmness inside.

I swear to god, I was expecting Kurt Russel to make a cameo.
Another one if I may, they entered the atmosphere of a planet, not following any beacons or maps and they so so happened to fly straight over the WMD store, which was the size of a few football pitches..on the whole planet.
I'll stop now.

Jeros

Part of the furniture
Ok just saw this and:

In the engineer ship, near the beginning we see a carving of a Xenomorph like those we know from previous aliens films, it makes sense in that case that the engineers have met them before, and indeed their big pile of corpse have all had something explode out of their chests, so it was most likely them they were running from in the recording.

It is also possible that they are disappointed with humans after vising earth and thus want to destroy their mistake, or at least wipe the planet clean for something new to emerge from the black goo, perhaps the xenomorphs have put the fear into them. Perhaps they are regretting their role of playing "creator" but cannot bring themselves to extinguish all life on earth as in killing it outright. Because if you think about it, dropping black goo on earth would just create something new, if they wanted to they could no doubt blast Earth to dust from orbit.

Also notice when the engineer encounters humans his reaction is not hostile at first, it is not untill David speaks does he go nuts. Two factors may have caused this:

He could have been saying something along the lines of "We have come from earth, to learn the secrets of immortality" which may have enraged the engineer as he or she finds the idea abhorrent, especially from one of their "mistakes".

Or he could have said (or it was apparent) he was an artificial mock up of life, in essence, the creations playing creator themselves, another thing that may have sent the engineer over the edge.

The Engineer's may not be hostile at all in the sense of warlike (we never see them with any sort of weapons lying about), they may just be trying to close the Pandora's box they have opened.

Just my 2p

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Pointless movie from viewer perspective. I feel as i really did not care as to where we/alien race came from. What where they thinking? Also, the plot holes, or open ended questions, i dont care.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I'm not sure I even want to DL it on torrents out of curiosity. Alien + Aliens were awesome. Should have just stopped there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom