Film Prometheus

opticle

Part of the furniture
They're very poorly made observations, some of those "plot holes" aren't even correct.

Really ? I didn't think about it a lot and it's a while since I saw the movie, but I thought they were all pretty accurate. And the unaddressed issues sum up pretty much all the frustrating questions that don't make sense.

Re-watched Aliens with some friends earlier tonight - great movie that's guilty of a fair few things - but you could be excused a whole lot more in those days, and as they don't reveal umpteen intertinwed mysterious loose ends, they don't leave a million things that either don't make sense at all or are frustratingly unanswered. Too many random plot lines / quirks.

But anyway, enough bashing, it is pretty, and a sci-fi movie is always a good thing in my book :)

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
I have one word and one number for you

Aliens 3

It could have been badder.

opticle

Part of the furniture
;) Yeah, you're right; for one thing, last night made me realise how much the beginning of Aliens 3 ruins any kind of good feeling you have at the end of 2 every time you watch it afterward.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Really ? I didn't think about it a lot and it's a while since I saw the movie, but I thought they were all pretty accurate. And the unaddressed issues sum up pretty much all the frustrating questions that don't make sense.

They've been thought out really poorly and ignore blatantly established evidence.

For example: woman running away from falling ship. The falling ship that's hundreds of feet wide as well as long. The other woman went sideways instead of forwards and was only saved by a rocky bit she could hide in: running sideways would have made no difference.

Also: the creatures grow fast! Erm, yes, they've been "growing fast" since Alien. In a couple of days in Alien it goes from tiny baby to bigger than human monster. They grow quick, accept it.

Could easily take apart most of the others in the same way. Some people see something on screen and immediately judge it on that scene, rather than relating something called context into what they see.

Job

It's not about plot holes, it's the fact we fell for the hype again in the forlorne hope it would be everything it could be..it wasn't, it was a mess.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
You know those people who make those "plothole" websites? You know what they are?

Well they're not film makers, are they.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
well i enjoyed it when i saw it just after release, but then i went to watch a film for entertainment, i didnt take my pen and pad to give it a forensic examination.

opticle

Part of the furniture
Fairy nuff - I agree with both what Wazz and Job say I suppose. It could have just been so much more with just a teeny bit of tweaking of a few, quite blatantly, ridiculous aspects.

It was still a cool sci-fi movie though - just not the poignant thought-provoker it aspired to be.

Job

Anyone on this forum, who watched the final edit and had the power to change would say..
'This needs some work guys, it just doesn't add up'
But the real world cuts in, millions spent, a deadline and a marketing machine guaranteeing bums in seats.
'Fuck it, that'll do.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Just watched it and actually enjoyed it, you'll all be pleased to know they are making a Prometheus 2 which I assume will pick up where the last one left off.

bigbb

Loyal Freddie
Sorry to interrupt. Just briefly. I thought it was shit and I'd probably watch it again. Not sure what means.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Watched it, started well. got boring real fast.

Why the fuck did Idris Elba have to put on such a shit accent, he may as well have just have and English accent as far as the plot went.

Job

DVD rips on the torrentz if anyon'es interested.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Finally got around to watching it last night. Terrible. Really disappointing.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I quite liked it, it wasnt trying to be anything it wasnt.

I don't really know what that means.

To me it was trying to be cerebral sci-fi/horror, and failing. Not scary, utterly crap sci-fi (just sooo bad) and characters you wanted to punch in the face repeatedly for their ongoing stupidity. Looked very pretty though, as with all Ridley Scott films.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
's alright, bit full of itself at parts and some of the characters((read: lead) just didn't do it for me. Bit boring at times, but worth one watch atleast if you have a chance. Not worth money though.

Chilly

Balls of steel
I don't really know what that means.

To me it was trying to be cerebral sci-fi/horror, and failing. Not scary, utterly crap sci-fi (just sooo bad) and characters you wanted to punch in the face repeatedly for their ongoing stupidity. Looked very pretty though, as with all Ridley Scott films.
As in there is rarely a decent sci fi movie these days, even less likely from a big studio so I expected what I got. A visually stunning mediocre action film with some kind of aliens or technology involved. I've had my expectations serially demolished over the past few years with sci fi films with the odd exception like moon so I was prepared to be content rather than amazed.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Well to clear that little thing up; i'm talking about guns dumbing down a movie, you're talking about dumb movie being dumb no matter.

Different potatoes :p

Nate

FH is my second home
Thought it was alright. Didn't feel I was taken in to the stories world though.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
As in there is rarely a decent sci fi movie these days, even less likely from a big studio so I expected what I got. A visually stunning mediocre action film with some kind of aliens or technology involved. I've had my expectations serially demolished over the past few years with sci fi films with the odd exception like moon so I was prepared to be content rather than amazed.
If you like sci-fi to make you think, go watch "Primer".
I've watched it 4 times and still haven't unravelled the multiple threads.

As for Prometheus, what do people think to the idea of an alternate end AND beginning on the bluray release?

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Easy way to make something more cerebral sci-fi is to remove weapons.

There wasn't all that many weapons in Prometheus.

I have watched it again and one thing I do like is the underlying question of what it means to be human, with regards to choice and creators and whatnot centred around David...except the film only skimmed gently over that part.

Chilly

Balls of steel
The plotlines is most sci fi films I've seen recently have been laughably thin. I read sci fi books by the masters of the genre that make the film plots look like the simplistic retard-friendly crap they are. I only watch them cos I like watching things blow up and space and laser beams and aliens!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom