Private Forums for the Whole of Albion?

Bubble

Can't get enough of FH
With NF coming up, it would be useful for us to have a forum where we could Co-odinate our efforts.

Information like- Whos claiming what keeps/towers, What guilds have enough BP's to claim a keep for a long period of time, Keep Raids are relic size raids in NF with easy access to defenders etc. Since there are serveral alliances in albion information shared inbetween then during NF would be handy(i think your all agree)

The Hibs have prydwen.net for there forums(/em looks at empty hib section here) not sure about mids, they seem to use this forum for everything.

I Personaly don't have the experience nor available facilities to setup this sort of thing. Is there anyone out there able to help me in any way with this?

Smurflord

Fledgling Freddie
Probably a good time to look at the current alliance set ups, and maybe a GM/Officers forum should be set up, rather than a public one.

Scutter

Fledgling Freddie
I could set up a private forum over at scuttersplace if needed

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
Hib only use prydwen.net rather than here - anyones free to go take a peek at the prydwen.net forums.

But if you want private secret forums, maybe the mods here at Freddys can help

Wazkyr

One of Freddy's beloved
Really like the idear, and yes, talking about stuff like relics and so in here aint gonna hold it prive, a private forum, would be lovly, tho bit hard with so many albs, good idear maybe only certain trusted ppl + guild leaders/officers. Really like the idear

Bubble

Can't get enough of FH
Tears said:
Hib only use prydwen.net rather than here - anyones free to go take a peek at the prydwen.net forums.

But if you want private secret forums, maybe the mods here at Freddys can help

Theres bits that you can't see there ^^

Edit- But good idea, i'll ask jup next time i see him

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
Bubble said:
Theres bits that you can't see there ^^

Edit- But good idea, i'll ask jup next time i see him

Ive also got some vbulletin forums on a dedicated host and should be able to cope with the demand, but FH mods should be the first point of call imo :)

Phusion

Fledgling Freddie
hibs have an alliance forum on prydwen.net yes, albs should need one too.

Ivan

Fledgling Freddie
Good idea Bub imho, for planning, although it will not prevent irc blabbers :(

Bubble

Can't get enough of FH
Ivan said:
Good idea Bub imho, for planning, although it will not prevent irc blabbers :(

No
But the most important thing is the sharing of info.

Auser

Fledgling Freddie
aye its a good idea, but who do you say is trusted and whos not? as every guild structure is different, so one guilds idea of trusted varies from anothers. (kinda like, the who can talk on /as of old)

Misleath

Fledgling Freddie
Would perhaps be easier if the guild masters of Albion guilds get involved and got together a forum to prevent lots of needless spamage. The guildmasters (or certain moderators) could invite guild officers, rvr commanders etc for the forums.

Panthera

Fledgling Freddie
sounds like a good idea...and would prolly be neccessary with the NF coming out...

Krissy

Fledgling Freddie
This is a great idea, but...

Id like to point out that your sig says it all Bubble, although I trust you not to spread info to other realms I know for a fact others have in the past and will continue to do so.

A private forum with all the alb plans might prove to be a major security hazard :mad:

Can only give it a go and test, would be like war times, giving false information to "suspected" parties and seeing if it gets past on :p

Bubble

Can't get enough of FH
Krissy said:
This is a great idea, but...

Id like to point out that your sig says it all Bubble, although I trust you not to spread info to other realms I know for a fact others have in the past and will continue to do so.

A private forum with all the alb plans might prove to be a major security hazard :mad:

Can only give it a go and test, would be like war times, giving false information to "suspected" parties and seeing if it gets past on :p

There might be security problems like there is with any sort of forum, i wouldn't expect anyone to post details like relic raid on a unsecure forum, but general information, raid information, this sort of thing would be better to post on a Private forum with some security.

I think 95% of daoc play this game for fun and understand fair play, this normaly go's double for people like myself who publicly say we play both realms.

I've sent messages to see if we can get another subforum created here, if we can't we'll look else where.

Bubble

Can't get enough of FH
And like you said :)
We can only give it a try, if theres problems, we can only try and sort them.

Lexa

Fledgling Freddie
This is a good plan, however i would like to point out to those of you that are saying there will be security problems that this may not be such a bad thing. After all if the enemy shows up it gives us something to fight doesn't it ?

Granted certain events that require surprise etc should be kept seperate but the other information should have a forum.

Tractartus

Fledgling Freddie
Lexa said:
Granted certain events that require surprise etc should be kept seperate but the other information should have a forum.

Err, that's the point- we already have a public forum (the one you have posted on here), this is so Albs can organise something secretly. We can use our Alliance chats but sometimes it will be easier to put a secret post up in advance.

Zede

Part of the furniture
A new across the board alliance that only select memebers from each guild can access is the only way to avoid any security problems imo

GReaper

Part of the furniture
If it ends up like the Unity Inter-Alliance forums, then noooooooo! All they'll end up being is another place for people to whine at some popular guild.

Some problems with it include: Should 1 man guilds get access? Should all members of a small 5 man guild get access, if they're all rank 0?

Jenkz

Fledgling Freddie
GReaper said:
If it ends up like the Unity Inter-Alliance forums, then noooooooo! All they'll end up being is another place for people to whine at some popular guild.

If you have nazi moderation rules and moderators who are respected members of the community you can avoid this problem.

Just say: "no whine threads" and delete any that appear :p

Problem is, a forum with no whine threads is a very quiet one indeed:p

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
Jenkz said:
Problem is, a forum with no whine threads is a very quiet one indeed:p

Sadly true :p

The unity forums had maybe 15 active posters... out of 150+ alliance members, all of whom had access(if they wanted it). The problem with inter-alliance forums is in the lack of interest.

I think the only way for a realm-wide forum to work is by only admitting those people who actively participate in realm events. Otherwise you end up with a forum populated by 90% slackers and the remaining group are always complaining about how much work they put in compared to others(Guild XXXX is never here for retakes, Guild XXXX is always chasing after RPs... etc etc). An "open forum" will attract people with conflicting interests and there will be issues. Instead find those with the same goals and work from there.

It's how alliances start and in terms of realm-defence, it was Unity's original mission. Later, the GoP alliance formed for this task... then K0tRT oO

There're always individuals/guilds who're always there for realm-defence, but generally alliances have formed for the task and become complacent. Now if you want to form a common channel for NF, it's still better to only invite people with the same goals, else you will see the same problems as before.

Morchaoron

Fledgling Freddie
remember that whoever hosts the forum will have all your IP's

not that i think it would be a problem, but you know what it means when some shady characther is the admin, not trying to be paranoid or anything but simply giving my fellow albs a extra prod in the back so they are 100% on guard...

"A suspicious mind is a healthy mind"

Bubble

Can't get enough of FH
I wanted to see if FH would Add them. That way people would already know where to go etc. (Would also put Morchaoron point at bay :))
I haven't had a reply back from Jup yet.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Ooops! Nerf me for reading my PMs and then forgetting all about them!!!! :D

I'm not sure tbh... yes it's pretty easy setting up new boards, but I'm not sure we have the people in place to handle the maintenance of all this in terms of allowing/denying access on an ongoing basis.... how would you envisage this working? Grouping requests for access and channelling them to me or a DAOC mod once per week or something?

/ponder

Bubble

Can't get enough of FH
Thanks for checking this out Jup

Grouping requests for access and channelling them to me or a DAOC mod once per week or something?

That would be great if you (and the daoc mods) would do this for us. Maybe 3 of us grouping the requests and sending them through in sensible numbers.
Does this sound okay? I'm sure you know this forum better than i do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom