Private Forums for the Whole of Albion?

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
Jupitus said:
Ooops! Nerf me for reading my PMs and then forgetting all about them!!!! :D

I'm not sure tbh... yes it's pretty easy setting up new boards, but I'm not sure we have the people in place to handle the maintenance of all this in terms of allowing/denying access on an ongoing basis.... how would you envisage this working? Grouping requests for access and channelling them to me or a DAOC mod once per week or something?

/ponder

Or some nominated people (or gm's of well established guilds) being able to approve people for the forum - and REMOVE

Requests must be made in game with the same name as your character ?

Revz

Fledgling Freddie
Jupitus said:
Ooops! Nerf me for reading my PMs and then forgetting all about them!!!! :D

I'm not sure tbh... yes it's pretty easy setting up new boards, but I'm not sure we have the people in place to handle the maintenance of all this in terms of allowing/denying access on an ongoing basis.... how would you envisage this working? Grouping requests for access and channelling them to me or a DAOC mod once per week or something?

/ponder

Unless you have disabled the feature you should be able to set up a public user group on the forums and then add someone as the leader. People can then apply to join the user group through the User CP and have their access granted / denied by the group leader. I have this set up on our guild forums and it works fine. Krissy can grant people access to the "member" group and as the board admin I can oversee it all to make sure there are no problems. There is no need to give anyone admin or even moderator status for this to work either.

The onus is on the group leader to check everyone out before letting them join.

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
Revz said:
Unless you have disabled the feature you should be able to set up a public user group on the forums and then add someone as the leader. People can then apply to join the user group through the User CP and have their access granted / denied by the group leader. I have this set up on our guild forums and it works fine. Krissy can grant people access to the "member" group and as the board admin I can oversee it all to make sure there are no problems. There is no need to give anyone admin or even moderator status for this to work either.

The onus is on the group leader to check everyone out before letting them join.

Thats gona be alot of work to put on one persons shoulders, can you have multiple leaders ?

Some other ideas, maybe only allow people with a confirmed L40+ in the realm into the group to avoid someone creating an alt, deleting then going to mid/hib, after all less than L40 may not be so usefull on a realm event.

Maybe also once a month (two months) post a new thread in this forum "Confirmation Check" people then have a few days to post a reply... no reply.. your names removed from the group (its easy to get back in, just talk to a leader in game)

<shrugs> hope we can sort something out tho.

Bubble

Can't get enough of FH
The confirming people part will be hard(Well depending on the numbers we get)
Thats why i suggested 3 people to deal with that instead of 1

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
How do you decide if someone is allowed access?
Will it become an elitist club, or open to anyone who plays in Albion?

Obvious answer is to grant access to GM/officers only, but it's not the practical choice. Alot of regular guild members take part in organising|frontier activity, who would be denied permission from a forum which is being hosted for people like them. So along with GM/officers you add players you know... and it starts becoming elitist :p

I'm not discouraging a forum like this. It would help, specially if hosted at FH.
But finding the balance between access and security will be tricky - open the forum to GM/officers only and you won't see much activity. It could work if anyone who wants access needs to go through their GM, who will pass on their name if he approves. Depends on what you want, a tightly guarded forum or something which most albs have access to.

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
Dont know why but i had it in my head, one person from each major aliance (or guild) would be able to add people to the list, that has to be a person who is on very reguarly.

People just create a FH account and apply to join the group

One of the leaders then contacts that person IN GAME to ensure they are of Albion and L40+ (to avoid the create/delete) thing then approves them.

Bubble

Can't get enough of FH
Escape said:
How do you decide if someone is allowed access?
Will it become an elitist club, or open to anyone who plays in Albion?

Obvious answer is to grant access to GM/officers only, but it's not the practical choice. Alot of regular guild members take part in organising|frontier activity, who would be denied permission from a forum which is being hosted for people like them. So along with GM/officers you add players you know... and it starts becoming elitist :p

I'm not discouraging a forum like this. It would help, specially if hosted at FH.
But finding the balance between access and security will be tricky - open the forum to GM/officers only and you won't see much activity. It could work if anyone who wants access needs to go through their GM, who will pass on their name if he approves. Depends on what you want, a tightly guarded forum or something which most albs have access to.

I would much rather the forum be open to Anyone with a level 40+ character on albion prydwen. People who would want access to the private forums would contact one of the 3 people and Tell them the information they need to be added to the access group.
Not everyone is guilded and GMs will probley not want to copy and paste every little detail in there guild forums.
I know having it setup like this will increase security risks but prydwen.net had the same issues and dealt with it okay. The whole idea of a albion prydwen forum is to share information....not hold it back from any albion prydwen player

Revz

Fledgling Freddie
Tears said:
Thats gona be alot of work to put on one persons shoulders, can you have multiple leaders?

No you can't have multiple leaders, only one person can do it. That isn't to say that multiple people couldn't help out verifying applications though. However I think one of two things will happen:

1. If you restrict who can view the forum to only the necessary people (such as selected guild officers) for reasons of security then you will be accused of elitism. You can already see people in this thread angling for an invite who otherwise worry they might not get to view it. Rest assured if they are excluded there will be flame threads on the forum. The forum will probably be functional but the grief may not be worth it. Also keeping people active on it will be hard.
  2. If you let anyone in based on some loose criterion (has a level 40+ character in Albion for example) then not only will your plans be all over both realms within days but people will probably consider it a challenge to "spy" on you. Furthermore it would be an incredibly large amount of work to keep the member list up to date given that people swap realms all of the time. Essentially it would make the purpose of the forum largely defunct.

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
Revz said:
No you can't have multiple leaders, only one person can do it. That isn't to say that multiple people couldn't help out verifying applications though. However I think one of two things will happen:

1. If you restrict who can view the forum to only the necessary people (such as selected guild officers) for reasons of security then you will be accused of elitism. You can already see people in this thread angling for an invite who otherwise worry they might not get to view it. Rest assured if they are excluded there will be flame threads on the forum. The forum will probably be functional but the grief may not be worth it. Also keeping people active on it will be hard.
  2. If you let anyone in based on some loose criterion (has a level 40+ character in Albion for example) then not only will your plans be all over both realms within days but people will probably consider it a challenge to "spy" on you. Furthermore it would be an incredibly large amount of work to keep the member list up to date given that people swap realms all of the time. Essentially it would make the purpose of the forum largely defunct.

Ahhh win-win situation then :)

Scutter

Fledgling Freddie
with version 3+ of vBulletin you can have multiple group leaders. I have just tested on my own boards giving one usergroup 4 leaders.

Revz

Fledgling Freddie
So you can :) I never actually tried it with more than one but having just tested it as well you can indeed set more than one person as a single groups leader.

Minimez

Fledgling Freddie
Just let all people with ml8+ or rr6+ into the forums .. Give the BUMS something to work for .. lol :flame:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom