Politics POLL: Brexit Withdrawal Agreement

If you were an MP would you vote for or against it?

• FOR

• AGAINST

Results are only viewable after voting.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Winning. He explicitly blamed Brexit for their decision to not build in the UK.

It's highly unlikely that company which has the vast majority it's manufacturing sites in the US with a handful couple elsewhere (mostly Ireland presumably for subsidies) would have ever come anywhere near the UK, both before and after Brexit.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
It's highly unlikely that company which has the vast majority it's manufacturing sites in the US with a handful couple elsewhere (mostly Ireland presumably for subsidies) would have ever come anywhere near the UK, both before and after Brexit.
I think the point is that the UK was being considered as an option, but now has been hard ruled-out.

It's the difference between in the running and not in the game.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
I think the point is that the UK was being considered as an option, but now has been hard ruled-out.

It's the difference between in the running and not in the game.
Except it wasn't because that's a ridiculous nonsense when looking at the company. You might as well be saying they're considering opening a fab in the Seychelles.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Except it wasn't because that's a ridiculous nonsense when looking at the company.
So you're saying Intel have decided to comment publicly on something that they don't care about anyway - because in or out of the EU we don't matter?

Why would they do that?

I agree with you that it's highly unlikely that we'd be a final destination for fabs. But if Intel say we were previously on their list of potential candidates I'm minded to take them at face value rather than think they're talking shit for no discernible reason.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Except it wasn't because that's a ridiculous nonsense when looking at the company. You might as well be saying they're considering opening a fab in the Seychelles.

Except the Seychelles doesn't have a skilled English-speaking workforce and close proximity to primary markets, which the UK does, but has also put up a load of barriers that negate those advantages. Its not rocket science. Ireland has found itself in the serendipitous position that the erosion of their corporate tax rate, which could have seen a flight of capital to the UK, almost certainly won't happen because the UK has left the planet.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
So you're saying Intel have decided to comment publicly on something that they don't care about anyway - because in or out of the EU we don't matter?

Why would they do that?

I agree with you that it's highly unlikely that we'd be a final destination for fabs. But if Intel say we were previously on their list of potential candidates I'm minded to take them at face value rather than think they're talking shit for no discernible reason.
Are you saying the head of Intel was like "oh, wait, hold up a minute team, let me grab that journalist real quick as I desperately need to throw out my thoughts on Brexit right about now"

It's a politicians answer to a question he was asked, easier to say "nah, but that's your fault" than "you lot, you must be joking"

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber

Shhh, think of the narrative!

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
FBhQWi2X0AcmjKr

DaGaffer

Talking to my Mum yesterday explaining not to bother sending the kids' Christmas presents because they'll get stuck in customs and we'll end up filling in duty and/or VAT forms. She starts huffing and puffing about "the EU making things difficult" and I absolutely fucking lost it.

I think I compressed five years of frustration into 10 minutes of ranting.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Lots of people that have no idea about imports/exports get that way, don't worry about it. Tell her to speak with someone that knows what they are doing.

DaGaffer

Lots of people that have no idea about imports/exports get that way, don't worry about it. Tell her to speak with someone that knows what they are doing.

Customs are opening everything coming from the UK. Parcels are taking literally weeks longer to get delivered and the online payment page for declarations is one of the most trafficked sites in the country.

So, to use the vernacular, feck off.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
EU problems.

I send and receive hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of stuff either way every week, without issue. Import from NL and DE export to ROI.

What you will find is you are sending via shysters.

Last edited:

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Edit, and yes, all bumps in the road are from EU folk that don't understand how processes work. How on earth they deal with ROTW is beyond me. It's all pretty simple to me, there are the rules, here is the paperwork, job done.

Edit, edit, if your mum's that bothered, she can just order from a ROI vendor and have it delivered direct.
A complete non-issue.

Last edited:

DaGaffer

Edit, and yes, all bumps in the road are from EU folk that don't understand how processes work. How on earth they deal with ROTW is beyond me. It's all pretty simple to me, there are the rules, here is the paperwork, job done.

Oh FFS you mong, when I have someone who voted leave, and voted in the Tories, complaining they have to jump through hoops to send their grandchildren presents, they can fuck right off. Am I supposed to be sympathetic?

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
EU problems.

I send and receive hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of stuff either way every week, without issue. Import from NL and DE export to ROI.

What you will find is you are sending via shysters.

You mean bulk orders?

I'd imagine that's a bit easier than ordering single items.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Oh FFS you mong, when I have someone who voted leave, and voted in the Tories, complaining they have to jump through hoops to send their grandchildren presents, they can fuck right off. Am I supposed to be sympathetic?

You can be what you like, that doesn't separate from the fact you are trying to create barriers out of spite. It's a piece of piss to export to ROI from the UK, literally 2 minutes work.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Yes, some vague story about the scaremongering regarding shipping to Ireland.

DaGaffer

Yes, some vague story about the scaremongering regarding shipping to Ireland.

Its not scaremongering; I've had four parcels from the UK stopped in the last month. Which was why I was telling my mother not to bother any more, and yes, there was a customs declaration stuck to the outside; it doesn't matter, customs are opening the parcels anyway.

But more importantly, all of this would have been completely unnecessary if "shoot yourselves in the head" flavour Brexit hadn't been chosen. Self righteous huffing and puffing about bumps in the road is missing the point entirely.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Lots of stupid people don't understand how seasons work, it's fine.

It's almost as if they believe lambs are born all year round or at exactly the same time all over the globe.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Lots of stupid people don't understand how seasons work, it's fine.

It's almost as if they believe lambs are born all year round or at exactly the same time all over the globe.

Even sheep farmers?

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
ofc it does. It's been well selected. It does not reflect reality though.

In the land of reality, you aren't going to get fresh lamb in winter in the UK without importing it from the other side of the world.

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
Except the UK lambing season goes from December to June, and lambs are generally slaughtered between 5 and 8 months of age, so we can produce fresh lamb year round, or at least as fresh as New Zealand lamb that is at least 6 weeks after slaughter by the time it gets to the UK, and usually more like 2 months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom