Politics POLL: Brexit Withdrawal Agreement

If you were an MP would you vote for or against it?

• FOR

• AGAINST

Results are only viewable after voting.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
If the EU was so great there is no way in hell leave should of got any where near 52% in the referendum (People's Vote), the core issues can't be overcome with the remaining time left
We voted leave because poor people feel like their life is shit and the straw-man of EU and immigration was brought up (predictably) and they (again predictably) vented their rage at it - hence the vote.

Don't think it was anything that the EU did. Nobody outside of Job's mates, UKIP and a tiny (but vocal) minority of tories had an issue.

I, however, totally agree that the EU isn't solving our problems - inequality and poverty - and that the proceeds of capitalism aren't going where they should, or doing what they should.

But that's the same in or out.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
We voted leave because poor people feel like their life is shit and the straw-man of EU and immigration was brought up (predictably) and they (again predictably) vented their rage at it - hence the vote.

Don't think it was anything that the EU did. Nobody outside of Job's mates, UKIP and a tiny (but vocal) minority of tories had an issue.

I, however, totally agree that the EU isn't solving our problems - inequality and poverty - and that the proceeds of capitalism aren't going where they should, or doing what they should.

View: https://twitter.com/AdrianYalland/status/1073548958461542400?s=19

Seems pertinent.

Wij

I am a FH squatter

Bodhi

I really don’t think it would have passed. Brexiteers and the DUP didn’t just object to the backstop and the ‘comfort’ on the backstop would be token anyway.

Perhaps if people stopped playing party politics and considered the good of the country it would have sailed through.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber

View: https://twitter.com/iainmartin1/status/1073554822232768512?s=19

If those assurances were given then the WA would have passed by now, and we could focus on what happens after that. Good to see the EU negotiating in good faith....

EU leaders scrap plans to help Theresa May pass Brexit deal after disastrous meeting

"After arriving in Brussels with promises to help the prime minister, European leaders were left amazed when she turned up without any developed requests or ideas."

"Accounts of the meeting suggest the prime minister’s speech, in which she called for help to get the agreement “over the line”, was repeatedly interrupted by Angela Merkel asking her what she actually wanted from them.

Senior UK government officials admitted that the prime minister did not bring any documented proposals with her to the meeting.

The approach puzzled EU diplomats, who for days before the conference had said they needed to see what proposals Ms May had come up with before they could respond to her request for aid."

Bodhi

That Facepalm is for Teresa Meh, not your post. She really is fucking useless.

Surely a legally defined review process for the backstop to ensure progress on the future relationship and everything continued in good faith could be knocked together quickly enough to get buy in from all concerned? At least have some sort of proposal with you even if you think it will be rejected?

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse

The tipping point was the discussions on Turkish entry, which would have allowed 80 million relatively poor Turkish muslims the right to live in Britain.
They had to drop that one because no one except the agenda from the top wanted it and Turkey suddenly went full batshit muslim.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
The tipping point was the discussions on Turkish entry, which would have allowed 80 million relatively poor Turkish muslims the right to live in Britain.
They had to drop that one because no one except the agenda from the top wanted it and Turkey suddenly went full batshit muslim.

Biggest advocates of Turkish accession? Her Majesty's Government.

Successive British governments were the biggest cheerleaders for EU eastward expansion right up until the point where it was more expedient not to be.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Turkey has been talking about joining for decades but it is further away from happening than ever under Erdogan. Total scaremongering by the leave campaigns.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Turkey has been talking about joining for decades but it is further away from happening than ever under Erdogan. Total scaremongering by the leave campaigns.

The irony is that what's happening under Erdogan is similar to what @Job wants to happen in the UK.

Bodhi

Just because people can change their minds doesn't mean you can keep asking the same question until they do :)

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
And yet MPs are allowed to change their minds at the drop of a hat.

Job

Well its still wrong..if remain had won..even by one vote..then thats it.
I can only presume he was convinced leave was going to lose and he fell into the same trap of thought.
If course he's now saying a 2nd ref is going to happen and I tend to agree.
Maybe hes just bigging up his umpth attempt at power.
Im imagining how they would present a 2nd ref to the public....it would have to be a 'Churchill declaring war' style address to the nation.

Unprecendented danger to economy...unforseen disaster...a once in a lifetime rejection of the people for the good..etc..etc.
With a heavy heart...
Hope to finally heal wounds...

I could write it myself actually...the only problem is even if leave voters accept it...our international prestige will be in tatters.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Well its still wrong..if remain had won..even by one vote..then thats it.
I can only presume he was convinced leave was going to lose and he fell into the same trap of thought.
If course he's now saying a 2nd ref is going to happen and I tend to agree.
Maybe hes just bigging up his umpth attempt at power.
Im imagining how they would present a 2nd ref to the public....it would have to be a 'Churchill declaring war' style address to the nation.

Unprecendented danger to economy...unforseen disaster...a once in a lifetime rejection of the people for the good..etc..etc.
With a heavy heart...
Hope to finally heal wounds...

I could write it myself actually...the only problem is even if leave voters accept it...our international prestige will be in tatters.

Isnt it already? :)

Job

Ha..no.

Seriously, as much as they try, EU is just a ton of crackpot countries run by Germany and Fran...no , just Germany now.

Job

Its going great.
Everyones shouting, the headless chickens are out in force.
The end is nigh used to be for loonies and placards.
Now its sane people who are laughed at.

The world has gone mad and I'm lovin it.

Job

A very sobering lecture on how Brexit has gone so far:

Full speech: Sir Ivan Rogers on Brexit - News - University of Liverpool

(No, it doesn’t recommend a people’s vote so you can read it without thinking it’s one sided)
All rather obvious really and as I always say..much to the derision on here..its power that will decide..always has..always will.
Germany rules the EU.
Britain will compete out of the bloc, not a strong position..but we dont have 25 countries sucking the life out of us.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
All rather obvious really and as I always say..much to the derision on here..its power that will decide..always has..always will.
Germany rules the EU.
Britain will compete out of the bloc, not a strong position..but we dont have 25 countries sucking the life out of us.

I've been watching the US Office recently.

I'm fairly sure you're Dwight.

Bodhi

A very sobering lecture on how Brexit has gone so far:

Full speech: Sir Ivan Rogers on Brexit - News - University of Liverpool

(No, it doesn’t recommend a people’s vote so you can read it without thinking it’s one sided)

Something I think both sides of the argument need to read - OK Leaving is going to be tough and there are many hard negotiations still to come, however he also knocks on the head any chance of Remaining and reforming the EU, which was one of the more positive Remain arguments I could have got behind.

Personally, my biggest issue with Remain (and if you remember, I would have been quite happy with either outcome in 2016, just want to get behind whichever result occurred) is that the status quo was not an option, it was either more Europe or less. In a weird way, the best way to get the status quo might be the WA, just the backstop needs looking at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom