PC hangs when exiting game

CliffyG

Fledgling Freddie
I have quite a powerful machine and the wife's isn't too shabby either but whenever we exit the game there is a very high possibility that it hangs the machine. Usually with a 640x480 size (roughly) window in the top left with the DAoC background and the start button and taskbar. Ctrl-Alt-Dlt allows me to select shutdown or log off but it never does anything and i end up needing to hard reset. Anyone else get this?

We're both running the ToA client on WinXP. My machine is an AMD Barton 2500+ @ 2.3 gig, 1 gig PC2700 DDR @ 200 FSB, Radeon 9800 clocked to Pro speeds and the Wife's is AMD XP2200+, 768mb PC2100 RAM, GF4 Ti4200.

Hendrich

Fledgling Freddie
My wife had the same problem on her PC. 2 solutions I found, 1 increase the amount of ram she has to 1 gig or, 2 increase her swap file size to a min of 150mg and max at least 2 gig. Also you want to make sure the swap file is not on the C drive if possible. Try running swap file on a different drive that TOA is on also and see it that helps

CliffyG

Fledgling Freddie
Don't think the RAM will make any difference as i have a gig of fairly quick stuff and still get it. We both have large swap files but only 1 hard drive each so swapping partitions won't make too much if any difference. It's currently on the same partition as the game (d: drive).

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
CliffyG said:
I have quite a powerful machine and the wife's isn't too shabby either but whenever we exit the game there is a very high possibility that it hangs the machine. Usually with a 640x480 size (roughly) window in the top left with the DAoC background and the start button and taskbar. Ctrl-Alt-Dlt allows me to select shutdown or log off but it never does anything and i end up needing to hard reset. Anyone else get this?

We're both running the ToA client on WinXP. My machine is an AMD Barton 2500+ @ 2.3 gig, 1 gig PC2700 DDR @ 200 FSB, Radeon 9800 clocked to Pro speeds and the Wife's is AMD XP2200+, 768mb PC2100 RAM, GF4 Ti4200.

I get that as well, not found a solution yet for it just have to hard reset the machine which is not good.

Running athlon2500+ with 1gb PC2700 with a gforce fx5600ultra winxpro all latest drivers and updates for everything

Dekker

Fledgling Freddie
A dirty solution is to alt-tab out and shut down toa using task manager, not ideal but better than nowt.

Rellik

Fledgling Freddie
got this problem too..
but since i go ld every 20min i allmost never have to press quit.. :eek6:

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
got it here aswell, only started the last couple off weeks, nothing changed on my machine tho :(

xp 2800, 9600xt, 1gb on xp prof

Roteca

Can't get enough of FH
had same problem aswell a while ago, did like Dekker said.

Dekker said:
A dirty solution is to alt-tab out and shut down toa using task manager, not ideal but better than nowt.

Pogel

Fledgling Freddie
Yep, I've had this too. Another issue with XP memory/porocess mangement, I guess.

Gog

One of Freddy's beloved
Same with both myself and a friend of mine - both running high end pc's.

Out of interest is everyone with this problem using an ATI card, or is it happening with Nvidia too?

HerionNumenor

Fledgling Freddie
I have the same problem!!

Hi

I have the same problem, and yes I am using an ATI card, here is my setup:

Pentium 4 Northwood 3.0Ghz 800Mhz Bus
Asus P4C800-E, Intel 875 chipset, motherboard
Gigabyte Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb Gfx card
Dane-Ele 1024 DDR400 Dual Channel ram
Creative Audigy, sound card
Seagate 160Gb sATA HD.

Dunno why it does it, atm trying to get support/Right now, to help me, but dunno if they can : /

Xmi

Fledgling Freddie
I get the same problem, as does my mrs :(

This is almost certainly (99%) a bug introduced by Camelot in a recent patch, just need enough people to report it and it will hopefully get resolved... GOA are you listening ??

Lejemorder

Fledgling Freddie
Gog said:
Same with both myself and a friend of mine - both running high end pc's.

Out of interest is everyone with this problem using an ATI card, or is it happening with Nvidia too?

yaruar said:
Running athlon2500+ with 1gb PC2700 with a gforce fx5600ultra winxpro all latest drivers and updates for everything

so no :)

and i got nearly same problem, after i press quit daoc stop responding and i need to ctrl+alt+del, open task manager and shut down daoc that way.
ohh and ati to :)

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
I had this but only when I was using certain custom skins for the TOA UI. If you're using a custom one try a normal one like midgard/atlantis and see if this helps. I've made my own mishmashed UI from others and it works fine now though :)

Jaem-

Can't get enough of FH
hmm, you guys/gals mean hang, as in computer freezes for 5-10sec when it quits?

Righthandof

Fledgling Freddie
same prob with 768 mb ram and gef4 ti 4200

been using alt+tab, than end process on game.dll

Talsar

Albion Legend
I had a simular problem, even with my high spec pc it was still nerf'd.

However sadly i had a major problem with my main pc, and had to do a clean rebuild.

And you will never guess... yes! after everything was put on "as new" and all updated and defrag'd. problem was gone.

I know that is not the ideal solution to everyone but worked for me ;)

Cybwyn

Fledgling Freddie
Same problem here, used to hang when running DAoC in compatibility mode so I stopped doing that and it didn't happen again until we got patched to 1.68. Computer doesn't hang every time I quit, I'd say about 75% of the time.

Using Win XP, 1 Gig RAM, Athlon 2100XP and Geforce4 Ti4600 gfx card.

I can't even alt-tab or use task manager to clear it up, has to be a reset button job. :(

georgie

FH is my second home
Same problem here too.

Athlon 2600, Radeon 9800 Pro (using the latest Omega drivers, but had the problem with older ATI drivers too), 1 gig ram, RAID, Win XP (with all the SP gubbins).

Be nice if someone could work out what's gone wrong here. 'Tis very annoying.

Kicks

Fledgling Freddie
Got the same problem on my 2800xp Win XP Radeon 9700 with 1gb ram.

Noticed it only seems to occur if I've alt-tabbed during the game, only happens when runing ToA, never SI and never when I haven't alt-tabbed.

georgie

FH is my second home
Tho not always when you have alt-tabbed.... Just to make things that little bit more complicated. :p

rure

Fledgling Freddie
Same problem here. 9800pro card, xp2600+ etc.

I usually alt-tab 2 times in and out from the character selection screen. Then it usually doesnt lock up when I press quit.

Morthomme

Fledgling Freddie
I have the same problem and use a little trick (duh), nearly the same as posted above. Log out to the character screen en Alt-tab to windows. I then open This Computer, or Explorer. Then Alt-tab back to DaoC and quit. Works like a charm, never hangups anymore.

PJS

Fledgling Freddie
Yup, all started 2 patches ago. Its not actually hung, the process is using 99.9% cpu time. If you have the patience you can bring up task manager (slowly ofc) and right button on the daoc process and set it to lowest priority. Then you can shut down. I normally just press reset.

BaneWolf

Fledgling Freddie
same problem here with xp 2.6 gib p4 1gb ram and gforce4 ... do they know about the problem yet? whoevers suppose to fix bugs etc..

BaneWolf

Fledgling Freddie
I left a message on right now about this...

I Left a message on right now about my computer freezing up when i exit out of the game. Also sent them the link to this thread so they can see who else is having this problem too.

Post on right now so they can get as much info about this problem as they can. please :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom