Pc laptop graphics problem

Amphrax

Part of the furniture
I have an inspiron dv7 notebook with ati 5650 radion hd...

When playing games it suddenly pauses and then screen goes blank and then re-appears with a pop up message ... Amd blah blah has stopped responding and has recovered.

Ive downloaded many different ati cat files and none of them seem to work. I am having the same problem when i try go on youtube and after, lets say 20 odd seconds the same thing happens.

Bare in mind this is a farely new laptop.

I tried doing a recovery manager... Same thing keeps happening after recovery.

Ive checked online for answers and none of the answers have helped.

I also noticed on my previous recovery my laptop was popping up with... Insufficient power supply... How can this be possible when the laptop is newish?

Iam now doing my 3rd recovery with the minimal windows installed.

Any ideas?

Amphrax

Part of the furniture
This is the pop up message i get...

Your computer is designed to vary performance as needed when a smaller capacity Smart AC Adapter is connected. However your computer exceeds the power rating for the Smart AC Adapter connected. Please connect a higher capacity Smart AC Adapter.

------------

The adapter I have is 120W and thats the highest as far as I know. I searched online for higher W but I cannot find any.

Amphrax

Part of the furniture
Ive also noticed...

Before:

Processor: 7.1
Memory: 7.3
Graphics: 6.7
Gaming Graphics: 6.7
Primary Hard Disk: 5.9

Now:

Processor: 5.9
Memory: 7.3
Graphics: 4.5
Gaming Graphics: 6.1
Primary Hard Disk: 5.9

I have no idea wtf is going on...

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
Sounds like you have a "Balanced" power profile that's limiting your system in small ways to save power.

Right click on your battery icon in the system tray (bottom right corner) and choose power options. You should get a number of options available to you, included "High Performance". Select that and retry the Windows Experience scores again. That should improve your CPU score at the very least, and probably your graphic score as well.

As for the popup complaining about the PSU when you're running games, the gfx card is sucking up a lot of the power and gets hot. It might be that it senses it's not getting enough power, but I suspect it's actually borderline overheating and shutting the game off to save itself. I used to get games freezing up all the time when I first got my laptop. I got a laptop cooler which raises the machine off the desk and blows a fan over the vents on the underside to help keep the temperature down a bit. That sorted my particular problem, so maybe it's something to consider?

Amiga

Can't get enough of FH
The PSU can also be faulty so you could try get a new one on the warranty if you still have that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom