Science Office Chair

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I have one of these for my wheel/pedals. I haven't tried it on the new chair yet but on the old one I had an old belt that I put around the upright of the stand and then looped around the furthest forward of the wheels of the chair. It worked well to stop me departing when I stamped on the pedals.

I'd love to get a proper racing setup, but I use my main pc which sits on my desk, and when I play I just clamp the wheel to the desk - btw, the clamps on the G29 are excellent when in combination with some kitchen non slip material such as this:

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/StayPut-Chopping-Board-Safety-28cm/dp/B00U97DM2W

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Charcoal Blue (y)

LEEEEEWWSSSSS.....

Ahem :) I was torn between that and Cookies and Cream, thought I'd try lightening the colour scheme in my office a bit.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Charcoal Blue (y)

3 to 1 ratio so far.

LEEEEEWWSSSSS.....

Ahem :) I was torn between that and Cookies and Cream, thought I'd try lightening the colour scheme in my office a bit.

I love Cookies & Cream food wise and even though I've got the proper cleaner from Secret Lab I decided it was more likely to show the inevitable food stain on it more which is why I went Charcoal Blue.

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Ok, it's arrived! Delivery guy was pretty unhappy at 2 flights of stairs :D

Obviously I can read instructions and the warning labels, but any particular assembly step which is a potential pitfall?

Bodhi

Only part I remember being a particular PIA was lining the backrest up with the metal prongs on the seat base. Took a couple of goes to get both sides to stay in properly so you can put the screws in.

I ended up doing one side, but only putting the screws in enough to hold it in place before doing the other, then tightened them all up at the end. I'd also use a proper screwdriver, as the one they provide hurts your hand after a while.

Apart from that I found it dead easy to put together - the massive instruction card is clear enough I didn't bother with the videos Secret Lab did.

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Only part I remember being a particular PIA was lining the backrest up with the metal prongs on the seat base. Took a couple of goes to get both sides to stay in properly so you can put the screws in.

I ended up doing one side, but only putting the screws in enough to hold it in place before doing the other, then tightened them all up at the end. I'd also use a proper screwdriver, as the one they provide hurts your hand after a while.

Apart from that I found it dead easy to put together - the massive instruction card is clear enough I didn't bother with the videos Secret Lab did.

Thanks Bodhi - I had already guessed I might need to do one side loosely, so that makes sense. My biggest concern is going to be man-handling it upright at the end - whole reason I treated myself is that my back has been agony for few days :s

Bodhi

I didn't find that bit too bad, although my back is only slightly fucked after 30 years of golf. Didn't involve any lifting though, once assembled it was pretty easy to roll onto it's back so you could put the piston in.

As the bishop said about the actress.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber

The instruction card (or my one anyway) does say to do the right side (the side which is attached to the LEVER OF DEATH) first then pull the left arm into place before attaching it.
Shouldnt you be asking the height that the seat is above the floor at its closest point to see if your dwarf legs can reach the floor?
I was going to suggest to him that they make chairs for those with a more... "petite" frame but I've already taken the piss out of his (lack of) height once recently.

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
I'm feeeeling the lurve guys :D

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
All assembled no problems thanks guys, and wow!! What a revelation!!! :wij::D:cool:

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
All assembled no problems thanks guys, and wow!! What a revelation!!! :wij::D:cool:
So it's been about 3 weeks, have you finished climbing up into it yet? ;)

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
So it's been about 3 weeks, have you finished climbing up into it yet? ;)

It's actually working wonders for the general state of my back - far less sciatic pain now !!(y)

Embattle

FH is my second home
Less sweaty on my delicate ass-skin pal :)

Indeed I got the fabric one because once I had a fake leather chair and during the summer the back of my legs got so hot and uncomfortable on the leather.

Bodhi

@Bodhi , @Jupitus

so you got the material over the fake leather? And particular reason ? Whats the 20 quid benefit?

No real practical reason, I just prefer fabric over leather - and the Cookies and Cream looks awesome.

I actually had the weird situation where the new chair was making my back worse than the old Ikea job, having the keyboard on the pull out tray and my desk and the tower unit underneath meant I was twisting to type properly, so I've moved my PC and got rid of the tray - much better now. It's now as comfortable as the driver's seat in my car, which was what I was going for :)

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
No real practical reason, I just prefer fabric over leather - and the Cookies and Cream looks awesome.

I actually had the weird situation where the new chair was making my back worse than the old Ikea job, having the keyboard on the pull out tray and my desk and the tower unit underneath meant I was twisting to type properly, so I've moved my PC and got rid of the tray - much better now. It's now as comfortable as the driver's seat in my car, which was what I was going for :)
I quite like the batman motif from the faux leather one over the fabric is all :)

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
This thread makes me sad. I don't have the actual space for a proper desk chair. Going to have to buy a small office mesh chair you find in shared offices as they're better than oak.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
So I'd heard good things about Secretlabs support and I can only confirm them.

Firstly, I had a split develop in the material on one of the armrests and they sent me 2 replacements (the material on the other had wrinkled slightly - probably not enough for a warranty replacement on its own - and I half-jokingly said "if it's easier to send both sides I don't mind") and then a few weeks later the tilt mechanism became knackered (a bit of metal - looks like part of a spring - fell out onto the floor and I could no longer lock the tilt mechanism) so they sent me a new one of them.

For those who have this chair you know you just sit the chair onto the stem of the base during installation and... that's it. Well, I can confirm it's fecking impossible to lift it off again after 2 years of use. There must be a very slight taper or something, I've been nervous about the top half coming off when putting the chair on its side before but no chance. The installation video for the multi-tilt mechanism said to lay the chair on its front, apply a bit of WD40 and use a pipe wrench on the stem to twist it loose but it's just too well sat in there. I told them I was struggling (I've actually fouled the stem a bit with the teeth of the wrench) and that I was going to see a friend later in the week with a wonderfully well-equipped workshop and probably a better idea of how to separate the two parts (I was thinking something hydraulic...) but they said no worries, we'll send you the entire bottom portion as well, including the whole wheel structure (it seems mad that that's necessary but who am I to question them).

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Seems like they need to design better stuff?

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
So I'd heard good things about Secretlabs support and I can only confirm them.

Firstly, I had a split develop in the material on one of the armrests and they sent me 2 replacements (the material on the other had wrinkled slightly - probably not enough for a warranty replacement on its own - and I half-jokingly said "if it's easier to send both sides I don't mind") and then a few weeks later the tilt mechanism became knackered (a bit of metal - looks like part of a spring - fell out onto the floor and I could no longer lock the tilt mechanism) so they sent me a new one of them.

For those who have this chair you know you just sit the chair onto the stem of the base during installation and... that's it. Well, I can confirm it's fecking impossible to lift it off again after 2 years of use. There must be a very slight taper or something, I've been nervous about the top half coming off when putting the chair on its side before but no chance. The installation video for the multi-tilt mechanism said to lay the chair on its front, apply a bit of WD40 and use a pipe wrench on the stem to twist it loose but it's just too well sat in there. I told them I was struggling (I've actually fouled the stem a bit with the teeth of the wrench) and that I was going to see a friend later in the week with a wonderfully well-equipped workshop and probably a better idea of how to separate the two parts (I was thinking something hydraulic...) but they said no worries, we'll send you the entire bottom portion as well, including the whole wheel structure (it seems mad that that's necessary but who am I to question them).

Is that the gas strut? They are an utter pain to remove. WD40 and a hammer is probably the best approach on the tight end (hammering from the inside, you need to unscrew it from the chair base). The other (bump stop) end can usually be removed by popping the spring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom