Science Office Chair

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Is that the gas strut? They are an utter pain to remove. WD40 and a hammer is probably the best approach on the tight end (hammering from the inside, you need to unscrew it from the chair base). The other (bump stop) end can usually be removed by popping the spring.
Yeah, removing the top of the strut from the bottom of the tilt mechanism. This is the video guide...

I'm assuming the one they used to demo the procedure in the video was brand new and didn't have hundreds of hours of "being sat on" to force the parts together.

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
I think they all can be tricky as they are just jammed in the hole. Last time I had to do a gas strut, I hammered it form the other side and it popped out. It did occur to me that a heat gun or a kettle or two of hot water might be the way to go.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
So I'd heard good things about Secretlabs support and I can only confirm them.

Firstly, I had a split develop in the material on one of the armrests and they sent me 2 replacements (the material on the other had wrinkled slightly - probably not enough for a warranty replacement on its own - and I half-jokingly said "if it's easier to send both sides I don't mind") and then a few weeks later the tilt mechanism became knackered (a bit of metal - looks like part of a spring - fell out onto the floor and I could no longer lock the tilt mechanism) so they sent me a new one of them.

For those who have this chair you know you just sit the chair onto the stem of the base during installation and... that's it. Well, I can confirm it's fecking impossible to lift it off again after 2 years of use. There must be a very slight taper or something, I've been nervous about the top half coming off when putting the chair on its side before but no chance. The installation video for the multi-tilt mechanism said to lay the chair on its front, apply a bit of WD40 and use a pipe wrench on the stem to twist it loose but it's just too well sat in there. I told them I was struggling (I've actually fouled the stem a bit with the teeth of the wrench) and that I was going to see a friend later in the week with a wonderfully well-equipped workshop and probably a better idea of how to separate the two parts (I was thinking something hydraulic...) but they said no worries, we'll send you the entire bottom portion as well, including the whole wheel structure (it seems mad that that's necessary but who am I to question them).

Interesting, as an armrest on mine has split after a couple of months, and I got knocked back by them! You have a message, @caLLous !

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I don't know why they'd knock you back, you bought yours after mine so you're well within the warranty period... They didn't ask me anything, I went through the warranty claim on the site and attached pictures and the serial number(s) etc and their first response was to confirm that a replacement was on its way.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Multiple people with problems on this very forum alone, videos on youtube on how to fix?

Their stuff is shite, people!

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
It's not like you to swan into a thread and make sweeping statements.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
My son's SL chair seems to have absorbed a lot of fart :/

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
It's not like you to swan into a thread and make sweeping statements.
Oh don't be so serious :)

But it's a point though - the design could be great, usability great etc. etc - but why are people having to spend so much time repairing them? Their materials choice isn't up to muster if that's the case.

You shouldn't be having to fix things you've bought, no? Why does it seem to be OK for this lot? Please to be explaining!

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber

But it's a point though - the design could be great, usability great etc. etc - but why are people having to spend so much time repairing them? Their materials choice isn't up to muster if that's the case.

You shouldn't be having to fix things you've bought, no? Why does it seem to be OK for this lot? Please to be explaining!

'Their stuff is shite, people' .. direct quote... the positive impact this chair has had on my back has been immense, so no...it's not 'shite' by a long stretch of the imagination, you fucking eejit.

EDIT: So as said... please stop swanning in on any topic and throwing your opinionated views around, eh?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
'Their stuff is shite, people' .. direct quote... the positive impact this chair has had on my back has been immense, so no...it's not 'shite' by a long stretch of the imagination, you fucking eejit.

EDIT: So as said... please stop swanning in on any topic and throwing your opinionated views around, eh?
So the chair is a @Bodhi style fanboi thing that means people brook no criticism?

I said the design could be great, but materials shit? I mean, that seems pretty fair?

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
So the chair is a @Bodhi style fanboi thing that means people brook no criticism?

I said the design could be great, but materials shit? I mean, that seems pretty fair?

Multiple people with problems on this very forum alone, videos on youtube on how to fix?

Their stuff is shite, people!

Given your proven propensity for being a total pedant, you said 'their stuff is shite'. You didn't say 'their stuff might be nicely designed and functional, but perhaps they could so a bit more in customer service or build quality'. So... basically.. fuck ...right ...off.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

I also said this @Jupitus - so I repeat to you - stop being so serious!

However, I stand by it - if something is nicely designed and really functional, saves your back etc - but generally falls apart and has poor materials that leads a significant portion of it's user base to have to replace parts and carry out repairs then in my book that qualifies as shite.

To be not shite it has to last. In this day and age it's not beyond the realms of possibility to design and build a chair that is solid is it?

Honestly @Jupitus, I don't get the strength of the emotional reaction. It completely befuddles me. It really does. It's just a chair, not a status symbol, isn't it?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Out of interest, how much do these things cost?

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Every time you say "lol stop being so serious" you then immediately double down and re-state why you think it's so serious.

I don't know @smurkin's story but it seems to me that they were talking more generally about repairing chairs with gas struts than specifically about Secretlab ones. I guarantee that I've sat in mine more than the manufacturer's assumption when calculating the warranty period and I expect that, as a consequence of working from home for the last 2 years, many others have too. I bet all manufacturers of these kinds of chairs are seeing an increase in warranty claims. They're definitely selling more of them.

The video I linked was unlisted, it's just a way for them to visually communicate how to replace parts at home without the inconvenience of sending the whole thing back to wherever it came from (Poland iirc). Shock horror.

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber

However, I stand by it - if something is nicely designed and really functional, saves your back etc - but generally falls apart and has poor materials that leads a significant portion of it's user base to have to replace parts and carry out repairs then in my book that qualifies as shite.

To be not shite it has to last. In this day and age it's not beyond the realms of possibility to design and build a chair that is solid is it?

Honestly @Jupitus, I don't get the strength of the emotional reaction. It completely befuddles me. It really does. It's just a chair, not a status symbol, isn't it?

It's not about the chair, it's about you loftily preaching to everyone in every single fucking thread.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
It's not about the chair, it's about you loftily preaching to everyone in every single fucking thread.
Calling chairs that seem to break a lot a bit shit is hardly preaching is it.

Edit: Nor "lofty" ? ;)

I mean "your chair's shit mate" doesn't require a PhD.

(Sorry, I'm struggling to take whatever deep wound I've inflicted seriously. I'll lay off yer chair now. Promise)

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time

Cock.

Anyway personally I'm wondering what the hell you lot are doing with yours, mine's about to hit 2 years old and is still in perfect condition.

I blame the assemblers personally :)

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
In my day we used an upturned bucket to sit on.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing

What's the typical lifespan of a gaming chair? I honestly have no idea. Needing repairs after two years does seem somewhat short, but on the other hand I have some Italian office chair a got from work which is a similar price to these SL chairs, and its now developed an annoying creak after a couple of years of daily use. I really don't know what's "normal" for these things so its difficult to judge quality (for the record my objection to Secret Labs chairs is their looks and my default dislike of logos on anything other than sportswear, and I barely tolerate logos even then).

dysfunction

FH is my second home
What's the typical lifespan of a gaming chair? I honestly have no idea. Needing repairs after two years does seem somewhat short, but on the other hand I have some Italian office chair a got from work which is a similar price to these SL chairs, and its now developed an annoying creak after a couple of years of daily use. I really don't know what's "normal" for these things so its difficult to judge quality (for the record my objection to Secret Labs chairs is their looks and my default dislike of logos on anything other than sportswear, and I barely tolerate logos even then).

Because you wouldn't be able to tell one chair from another.
They are all made in the same place and just get a name added onto it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Yhc6mmdJC4&t=1193s

I have a real leather noble chair and it is pretty good despite what the above video says.
I have had it since June 2019 and it's still very comfortable with no sign of breaking and the seat cushion hasn't deteriorated. The arm rests are spongy and not hard plastic.

I have an Hermon Miller Aeron at work. It's comfortable to a certain degree but does put some pressure on my legs that can aggravate my sciatica which doesnt happen with my Noble chair.
It's certainly not £1200 of comfort.

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber

Well, to be clear, my chair is functionally still 100% since I got it c. 2 years ago. The 'split' I mention is simple a minor finishing matter, almost unnoticeable to be fair, and has zero bearing on the chair's operation effectiveness. I am still a very happy owner.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I use a cheap shit chair that I replace every couple of years. But I am blessed with a good back, I can sleep 8 hours on a solid wood floor, quite happily. Some people aren't so lucky, my wife is very particular as she gets a bad back very quickly. Get what makes you comfortable, unfortunately, most of us spend a long time slumped over a keyboard, as important as a good mattress.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Dunno really, but two years seems woefully short.

For the record, I've got an office chair I skanked that was thrown out during a refit when I was working at EOn nearly two decades ago. It's still fine and doesn't smell massively of my farts.

Not massively.

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
I use a cheap shit chair that I replace every couple of years. But I am blessed with a good back, I can sleep 8 hours on a solid wood floor, quite happily. Some people aren't so lucky, my wife is very particular as she gets a bad back very quickly. Get what makes you comfortable, unfortunately, most of us spend a long time slumped over a keyboard, as important as a good mattress.

My back has improved immeasurably...

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
What chair did you end up with?

I've been given £150 from work to buy office equipment and I still don't have a chair (<£500 budget plz)

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
What chair did you end up with?

I've been given £150 from work to buy office equipment and I still don't have a chair (<£500 budget plz)

Who do you mean? Me or someone else? I am sure I posted it earlier, but I'm not sure if it meets your budget....

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
I don't pay attention to things.

I'm absolutely torn between the Secret Labs Titan and a ergo office chair. Probably go with the office chair

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom