Games Oculus Rift

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Even the PSVR team have come out and said that if a game drops below 90fps it wont be approved for PSVR
Yeah, so they'll be dropping graphical fidelity to that of pre-2000 stuff on PS4. (Out of the designer's mouth).

They're having to take a hit on high-end PCs so console VR is going to suck balls.

TBH - the thing that's going to kill VR off again is a shit experience - and people will naturally want to try it cheap - i.e. the PS4. So Sony could easily be cunting the whole tech into the ground...

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I don't think so...

Consoles will always be the cheap entry to any experience. They seem happy with hobbled games (omg 30fps at 720p is acceptable!) now and I imagine they will be happy with hobbled VR.

Meanwhile PCs will still experience the cutting edge, if the content is worth it, it will prosper as a tech. Plus ofc it is completely open source, if someone wants to play around with VR on PC then they can. No fucking about like on consoles.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
The contentwill suck ass at less than 90fps @Raven - nausea inducing PS4 experience that you can only stomach for 30 mins at a time before ypu feel ill for half an hour?

That'd make me say fuck that.

Nah, they'll drop graphical fidelity loads. My mates game uses all the tricks in the book and then some to reduce triangle count - and that's on PC...

Ormorof

FH is my second home
New hardware might help, read that nvidia claims new pascal architecture increases perf by up to 25%

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Hardware is moving too fast atm, gonna sit on it till we get 270 fov and 5k dpi.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
The contentwill suck ass at less than 90fps @Raven - nausea inducing PS4 experience that you can only stomach for 30 mins at a time before ypu feel ill for half an hour?

That'd make me say fuck that.

Nah, they'll drop graphical fidelity loads. My mates game uses all the tricks in the book and then some to reduce triangle count - and that's on PC...

Yes...I know.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
OOOooooo that does look the sexeh!! :)

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Indeed, now that is a step up I would consider dropping some cash on.

Job

He said they could have gone to Mars on the money they spent on the board.
And it will be in the bargain bin in 3 years time.

Or they could have perfected an artificial eye, or an invisible cochlear inplant...

Job

Yeah, but gfx tech is getting silly, the plus side is they are making some of the most powerful encryption crackers ever produced...which has to be good..yes?

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Why is this here? :d but it does mean 4k 60fps for almost every title now, and lays the groundwork for next gen of VR with higher resolutions.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Still, other than VR I can't find any reason to upgrade my AMD Phenom II X3 + Radeon 7870.

Cross-platform + shitty console specs mean for graphics no longer pushing boundaries. Until they fix that problem Intel, Nvidia and AMD can do whatever they like with their processor tech, I won't be buying it...

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Why is this here?

It could have gone in about several relevant places, but given the extensive chat about GPUs / VR in this thread, I put it here.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Still, other than VR I can't find any reason to upgrade my AMD Phenom II X3 + Radeon 7870.

Cross-platform + shitty console specs mean for graphics no longer pushing boundaries. Until they fix that problem Intel, Nvidia and AMD can do whatever they like with their processor tech, I won't be buying it...

Nonsense. You wont be getting anything like proper PC performance on that card. You might scrape 30fps on low settings but who wants that these days!?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Nonsense. You wont be getting anything like proper PC performance on that card. You might scrape 30fps on low settings but who wants that these days!?
Get 60-70 fps in Elite on max. Plenty in CS - and what other FPS's are worth it?

Nothing else seems to take my fancy either ATM - and I still get better-than-console in everything.

Games are shit at the moment. Interest only seems to happen in the indi scene...

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
You wont get more than 60 on a TV.

But meh, I have been having all sorts of fun with triple A titles lately, Fallout 4, Tombraider, The Witcher 3 etc. but yeah, feel a bit silly playing Stardew valley on a £500 graphics card.

Exioce

Part of the furniture
Why is this here? :d but it does mean 4k 60fps for almost every title now, and lays the groundwork for next gen of VR with higher resolutions.
20-25% improvement over the 980Ti according to Nvidia. That's still not enough for 4k I reckon.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
One thing I've learned over the years is to not trust figures given by the manufacturer when they announce a new graphics card. They've priced it very aggressively though, I'll give them that.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Having just dropped bought 980ti I am rather grumpy about them.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
The prices aren't that aggressive...$600 but remember there is tax on that too so around $700-750 for the entry level card, as they are usually bastards with "that sort of thing" it will likely be around £650-700 here when it ships here.

Job

I find the nearer games get to reality, the more boring I find them.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
So, you are saying you are reality averse?!

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
The prices aren't that aggressive...$600 but remember there is tax on that too so around $700-750 for the entry level card, as they are usually bastards with "that sort of thing" it will likely be around £650-700 here when it ships here.
Buyer's remorse ahoy! :)

I thought you were advocating waiting until the next generation anyway in a tech thread somewhere...

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I was but had money to burn, if I didn't spend it the wife would. The leap isn't going to be that great with entry level anyway. The serious cards will be a few months away. Besides, the plan is to run a second card in SLI once the next gen has been out for a while. Because I bought a very specific card, STRIX-GTX980TI-DC3OC-6GD5-GAMING - Overview I hope to pick up another identical card second hand later on.

The card is pretty much as powerful as a Titan, I think 2 near titans in SLI will be fine for a few years yet.

Last edited:

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
So my current GFX setup is this:
Card name: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Chip type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x6810)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Device Type: Full Device
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6810&SUBSYS_04641043&REV_00
Display Memory: 6097 MB
Dedicated Memory: 2030 MB
Shared Memory: 4067 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: HP 23xi IPS LED Backlit Monitor
Monitor Model: HP 23xi
Monitor Id: HWP3033
Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)
Output Type: HD15

I'd like to know if there is a sensible upgrade available for me between £140-180 or so, or should I STFU and wait for something better? Sorry, I'm a bit squiffy :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
DRM fucking over users once again.

TBH this is an own goal. The tech is in it's infancy - they need user uptake across the platforms before they start competing on content, which alienates the user base IMO.

The fact that they've scored a piracy own-goal is laughable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom