Obligatory 'New Years Resolutions'

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
A kid of ten who's done the lot with his parents. It's hardly difficult dragging a kid around on some mountains. Theres that 17/8 year old who's done all the peaks in the world. Hardly a feat when mummy and daddy are paying for his ass to be guided up and down these places.

Yet how many are willing to praise a kid for guitar skills, or pro-gaming feats, at the drop of a hat?

rynnor

Rockhound
A kid of ten who's done the lot with his parents. It's hardly difficult dragging a kid around on some mountains.

Theres like 230 odd of them and some are pretty tricky - I think its quite an achievement. Have you tried carrying a kid around up a mountain???

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I think the thing with kids is that saying "that kid is achieved" actually does mean that the parents succeed. It's not necessarily the kids achievement, but given as such to compliment parenting.

Like with presents, parents pretty much get shafted with birthday gifts after the kids come along :p

(Excluding kids who actually do stuff on their own ofcourse)

Exioce

Part of the furniture
Mine are:

- save as much as possible / curb frivolous spending; mortgage lending isn't going to get any better and me and the missus are looking to buy a house together in about 2 to 3 years time. I want to have solid chunk of cash set aside without denting my existing savings.

- bag a munro.

- visit Iceland.

I've done 50+ in the last couple of years. Just get good weatherproof gear so that you are not put off by bad weather. This being Scotland you can't afford to wait until it's sunny.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Oh - that sounded a bit too easy to be a New Years resolution though... Theres a kid of 10 who's done the lot...

A kid of ten who's done the lot with his parents. It's hardly difficult dragging a kid around on some mountains. Theres that 17/8 year old who's done all the peaks in the world. Hardly a feat when mummy and daddy are paying for his ass to be guided up and down these places.

One of them can only be done by a sheer rock climb with ropes, so doing them all is not something that most people can achieve.

Besides, it's a new year's resolution, not a 283 peak challenge - I've done a lot of walking but never up a Munro. I always said I would do it last year, but never did so pencilled it in for this year.

Gumbo

FH is my second home
I made a new one today. First time I've driven this year. I resolve to back into more parking spaces instead of driving into them forwards.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I made a new one today. First time I've driven this year. I resolve to back into more parking spaces instead of driving into them forwards.

Why? You've got mirrors haven't you? Also - if you're at a supermarket it means you can't get to your boot.

Gumbo

FH is my second home
Just for a change. I'm mostly driving the works van at the moment, so sliding side door makes loading the same front or rear. When spring comes and I get the Elise back out, the boot lifts straight up, and it's so diddy that there's always room to walk around. :D

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Why? You've got mirrors haven't you? Also - if you're at a supermarket it means you can't get to your boot.

Because for several reasons it is safer to drive out of a space than to reverse out of one.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
One ofcourse being that there's rarely any traffic in a parking space, as opposed to the parking area :D

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
- bag a munro.

- visit Iceland.
I recommend Ben More on the Isle of Mull. It's more of a hard walk than a climb, but the views are amazing. I can also recommend a great place to stay on Mull. PM me for details.

As for Iceland, can't you just go down the high street for that? :p
I know what you mean though. There's some fantastic places on Iceland that I wouldn't mind seeing for myself.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Because for several reasons it is safer to drive out of a space than to reverse out of one.

Honestly, I don't think it's that much of a hazard. (Certainly when I do it). I move at about 1mph, seatbelt off, facing backwards. It's easy to edge out slowly and get a good view of everything.

Even if the worst happened you're going so ridiculously slowly anyway all that's likely to happen is an argument.

Reversing out is only a danger if you're a tool IMO. I've considered it before and, frankly, I'd rather be able to stick my shopping in easily :)

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
To be fair Scouse, it depends on the car.

The bonnet was so long on my Z4 that I couldn't see fuck all until my nose was sticking out, and the blindspots when reversing were a pain in the arse.

Edit: Gumbo has the Elise, you've got a Ricer ;)

Exioce

Part of the furniture
I recommend Ben More on the Isle of Mull. It's more of a hard walk than a climb, but the views are amazing. I can also recommend a great place to stay on Mull. PM me for details.

As for Iceland, can't you just go down the high street for that? :p
I know what you mean though. There's some fantastic places on Iceland that I wouldn't mind seeing for myself.

We did Ben More a few months ago. Followed this route, which has a long ridge walk with some exposed scrambling, before the boring descent down the well trodden path.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home

Not if you're the moron that pulled out of a space frontways straight into the side of my car a few years ago. Wasn't a car park either, was bays on a road so he nearly put me on my roof.

rynnor

Rockhound
Not if you're the moron that pulled out of a space frontways straight into the side of my car a few years ago. Wasn't a car park either, was bays on a road so he nearly put me on my roof.

How did your 'no win , no fee' claim for whiplash go then? :p

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
No injury claims made because I wasn't injured and not a cunt. :D Car was "written off" but only needed some bodywork. Still driving it around now, mid90s Corollas are the most reliable cars ever.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Honestly, I don't think it's that much of a hazard. (Certainly when I do it). I move at about 1mph, seatbelt off, facing backwards. It's easy to edge out slowly and get a good view of everything.

Even if the worst happened you're going so ridiculously slowly anyway all that's likely to happen is an argument.

Reversing out is only a danger if you're a tool IMO. I've considered it before and, frankly, I'd rather be able to stick my shopping in easily :)

Reversing into a space, well that space is almost always going to be vacant of hazards, plus as your car is warm and the windows clear you'd have good visibility going in. And when you come to drive back out, the windows may be fogged up but that's ok as you're facing forward and have maximum visibility, you have the fans on full blast and the wipers on. It isn't an issue.

Reversing out of a space - well, your visibility is much reduced, your windows may be fogged up or full of rain (particularly with cars that have a boot, and therefore no rear windscreen wiper), there's no quick way to clear those windows (most people can't be arsed to wait), plus you're reversing into the main car park - an area that will always be busier than the spaces in the car park.

The only reason not to reverse into a space is if you're crap at reversing - which unfortunately, most people are.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I can see your point, but I still don't see it as much of a hazard Tom. Not enough to warrant reversing into a space tbfh.

You're going very slowly. Yep, it may get busy at tescos but I reverse out at slower than walking speed anyway - and I think that's the most important factor in this case.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
A 2 ton hunk of metal going even at 1mph is still a 2 ton hunk of metal.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I've seen a kid trapped under a reversing car in a car park Scouse; seeing something like that may make you re-consider.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I've seen a kid trapped under a reversing car in a car park Scouse; seeing something like that may make you re-consider.

Aye. I may reverse out quicker. To many of the little fuckers around anyway. It's good for the environment n' all that. :)

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I can see out the back of my car because I position my mirrors correctly and have a movable neck. Maybe I am just weird.

russell

FH is my second home
The only reason not to reverse into a space is if you're crap at reversing - which unfortunately, most people are.

Or if you have an old Mercedes E320 Avant garde- we call it the 'dog car' and the kids sit in the back and have to climb out of
the boot!! So many times I have reversed and trapped them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom