Newbies @ BarrysWorld

S

Steiny

Ideas for newbie servers

I have a few ideas that might help with the maintainance of newbie servers.

1 - Occasional 'newbie hours' on private servers with a couple of pros to moderate and help out.

2 - Newbie server configs which kicked people if they were scoring too fast. Once you can score X frags per hour you're probably no longer a newbie.

3 - Sever configs that kick people with accuracy which is too high, say above 20% overall.

4 - Special webpages which combined java irc clients in #newbie for newbies to talk and ask questions and a one click launcher from the web page into the server.

How does that all sound?

Steiny

S

SAS

Interesting ideas, but there's the factor of the one or 2 good players wanting a easy ride and to rack up their frag count :(

D

DAN200

I gotta idea, you set up some kind of CSPorts-esqe ranking system for the BW servers and only the bottom so many are allowed to enter the newbie servers!

L

~Lazarus~

Originally posted by DAN200
I gotta idea, you set up some kind of CSPorts-esqe ranking system for the BW servers and only the bottom so many are allowed to enter the newbie servers!

** G R O A N *****

S

Summo

Doesn't sound like a bad idea actually.

You leave the boy alone, Laz! Grrrrrrr...

S

]SK[

Yeh not bad. I see many BH, concjumping players named 'Player' on TFC.

S

]SK[

Only way to tell a newbie on TFC is if he shoots anything that moves and if he plays the HWGUY role.

S

(Shovel)

hmmmm....

how about providing more links to the guides?

I will have to admit that I'm not totally up to date with the position on BW and the servers, having not played for a while, but it would make sense to have prominant links to the guides pages on the MOTD and inclusions of demos and suchlike within the guides.

They are too obvious though and have probably already been done.

Newbie servers are a good idea, but require an element of trust to work effectively.
Maybe providing some form of *easy to use* vote kicking might solve the problem of people after a free lunch? would have to be obvious though for the newbie, unfamilier with the menus and suchlike, to use it effectively.

Erm, and how about swear protection? sounds childish, but might encourage *them* - of whom most will be young, we assume, to concentrate on the game rather than flaming to opposition.

O

old.Kez

Fuck the newbies. If they cannot handle working out how to get a game working, or cannot handle the hassle of 'arrogant' (lo me) players, then they can fuck off back to excel and go about processing their mindnumblingly tedious spreadsheets. There's enough cocks (lo me) online already without bringing more of the prepubecent CS players onto (lo CS players) the fold.

(Lo intolerence)

W

Will

A newbie server would need a full-time admin. Nothing else would work. And it'd be pretty dull for the admin - he'd have to spectate to stop kicking their asses.

D

DAN200

Originally posted by Shovel
Erm, and how about swear protection? sounds childish, but might encourage *them* - of whom most will be young, we assume, to concentrate on the game rather than flaming to opposition.

Nah cos then it'll end up like the UK2 servers where whenever you say crap, shit, f**k or barrysworld (Literally) it comes out as "Can you beleive I talk to my mother with this mouth?" or "I dont like people who swear its icky and it hurts my little ears" and even "Flipple Wibble Wibble Flibble". I mean it, go see for yerself.

O

old.technostorm

Why do you need a server specially for newbies, I had to learn the hard way, when I first started playing hl/tfc/cs, playing with the experienced players, and getting blown here, there and everywhere (no crude jokes please), you tend to learn damn quickly.

D

DAN200

either that or you give up and go do somin else, or you decide that its no fun nemore and stop playing online, ive seen it happen.

O

old.technostorm

Maybe these people don't have what it takes to be any good at online games, if they give up that easily, besides Wireplay had two "newbie" servers, and they were always full with intermediate to experienced players, the "team-play" servers were always empty, which was supposed to be for the experienced players!

Users who are viewing this thread