Newbies @ BarrysWorld

S

SAS

Been thinking a lot about newbies for a while and I have a number of ideas, but was wondering what you think BarrysWorld could do to make it an easier ride for newbies to get into gaming?

At the moment we have the game pages and the guides, and small sections on showing newbies the ropes, but there's room for improvement.

If you have any ideas post them here. If you have trouble thinking of how hard a time a newbie has trying to get into gaming think of what problems your parents would face if they sat in front of your machine and without help wanted to play a game online :}

E

Embattle

TBH the very fact they are newbies makes it hard to make something you do for them work, you would need create a guide on how to use guides ;)

My Dad once had a go a Doom...it made him feel sick because of the movement the gun makes when running :)

E

Embattle

I do have one thing, when a newbie enters a server and starts playing they just become fodder for the better players. We need some way to create more newbie servers that cater for such players so they can get use to the game before playing on the bigger boys/girls servers.

M

Moving Target

make a program like WP 2.30...when I first started online gaming this is the thing I used...and damn easy it was too :)

O

old.Kurt_Angle

Newbie servers don't work, it's either the only server with players, so everybody joins it, or it's populated with people just looking for a easy ride, and an air trip on the score board:p

M

MYstIC G

I've got an idea on this but I'd need to speak to you about it in IRC m8.....

soz to leave the rest of you guessing :D

M

MYstIC G

btw great sig Embattle but any chance of maybe shrinking it a tad?

E

Embattle

Originally posted by Kurt_Angle
Newbie servers don't work, it's either the only server with players, so everybody joins it, or it's populated with people just looking for a easy ride, and an air trip on the score board:p

With a proper system in place they could.

Yes I/ll think of a way to shorten my sig :)

S

Sir Frizz

IDEA!!!

1) When you become a member of barrysworld, in your profile you select what kind of player you are from newbie to master and then access to certain servers for the ability...

2)Create a server for members who have only been on a short time, but still give them access to other servers incase they are above "newbie"

M

Mellow-

...we were all newbies at one stage, why should these people have the easy route. Let them learn the hard way like the rest of us did.

D

DAN200

Playing online is soooooo difficult for a newbie (Newbie to mean anyone who dosen't play online already) for one simple reason... the constant need to download big updates, it confuses them no end.

S

Sir Frizz

Originally posted by Mellow
...why should these people have the easy route.

cos were better than that, dont you think you'd feel better knowing you did a good thing?

M

Mellow-

...is this the part where i'm supposed to make the right moral choice?

S

Sir Frizz

thats down to you, i dont see whats wrong with giving learners a hand, it what moves things forward, one day a newbie may become an icon in this kinda thing and design their own programs.

mebe its a little far fetched but it could happen

D

DAN200

look, everyone you see online was once a newbie, even really famous guys like TedTheDog, so basically, the more newbies we get playing online the more friendly, intelligent ppl we will have in the future. It also has two other good points...
1) ppl like Barrysworld could start makin some decent money
2) My scoreboard position will be higher :)

M

Moön

I think newbie's should be helped there's to many people learning in a snobish atmosphere and they then become an online snob them selfs and we got far to many 1337 online snobish wan*ers as it is

W

Will

Exactly - this is a gaming community. I wish more people would realise that.

S

SAS

1moon hit the nail on the head.

Mellow remember when you started. How people reacted to you as a newbie? Some helped others just flamed you, but you took it on the chin and grew to become a non-newbie...

Now you may think "fuck them let them suffer" but you were a newbie once so what's the harm in trying to help them?

If newbies are helped they enjoy it more which means more players and the community grows. Also they get educated. The number of newbies I've seen grow and take the wrong route. I.e. to the point of using cheats or turning into lamers (not all take this route mine) is large. By helping newbies you not only help the community as a whole, but also get a nice warm fuzzy feeling in your heart when you've helped a fellow gamer blossem :}

W

Will

Just remember not to teach them l33t 5p3ak. It's so annoying.

M

MYstIC G

Originally posted by SAS
By helping newbies you not only help the community as a whole, but also get a nice warm fuzzy feeling in your heart when you've helped a fellow gamer blossem :}
Until they start totally kicking your ass and making you look shit that is :rolleyes:

D

djpringle

Since I'm still a newbie the guides are great but you can't beat actually playing to hopefully improve things.

The best place I've found to play Q3 (CS doesn't float my boat so I can't comment on it) is on the modem only server, if I play on the others I get my ass seriously kicked, so to get more newbies playing it would be nice to have more modem only servers (they probably will only have 56k access anyway).

D

DAN200

How exactly do they set it so only modem users can access it? does it work so only pings below a certain number are accepted, if so, do you get kicked off when your connection decides to have a good streak??

S

SoWat

How exactly do they set it so only modem users can access it?

SAS sits there picking up the phone every now and then. If he hears the squealy tones of a modem, then all is in order. Course it makes the users' ping go through the roof, but BT is always there to blame for it ;)

C

Ch3tan

Originally posted by DAN200
look, everyone you see online was once a newbie, even really famous guys like TedTheDog,

No Ted was, is and always will be a c**t.
Oh and he has a goat pron fetish.

Originally posted by MYstIC G
Until they start totally kicking your ass and making you look shit that is :rolleyes:

^ someone regretting ever making me learn to play CS over diablo 2?

Anyway newbies, there is a cs newbie server I remember hearing about. afaik it kicks and banns anyone that reaches the magical score of 12 frags. Sounds like admin mod would be needed for that (*cough* admin mod, hint hint russ).

M

MYstIC G

Dream on Chet, I was thinking more of Dave and how if he tried to play either of us @ CS now he'd probably end up crying ;)

M

MYstIC G

oh I almost forgot, SAS added a new forum for newbies here so I guess we're only limited to abusing the regulars now :rolleyes:

L

~Lazarus~

Originally posted by Ch3tan

Anyway newbies, there is a cs newbie server I remember hearing about. afaik it kicks and banns anyone that reaches the magical score of 12 frags. Sounds like admin mod would be needed for that (*cough* admin mod, hint hint russ).

For once Ch3tan is right :D

UK2.NET have 4 or five servers which accommodate "newbies".

If you get 12 or ore frags in a map, you get kicked and banned.

If I remember, the server numbers are 50 and upwards.

Users who are viewing this thread