TV New Season!

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
One left, how you finding it?
Outstanding.
Howard dying was a serious "omfg" moment. I thought the Lalo thing would go for longer than it did but I'm glad they've dedicated a good chunk of the remaining episodes to "what happened after Saul", it's like another show altogether (Nacho dying feels like seasons ago). Nice little cameos for Walt and Jesse and I can't believe Jimmy/Saul/Gene is going to be undone by Ask Jeeves - he was a hair away from throttling Marion before he dashed off.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I believe Joanna Constantine is his and a chap in my view would not have been as impactful in her story line (no spoilers as it is one of my favourite) additionally they got around some rights issues.

Except of course the comics show that's not true

NB. There are no rights issues because Warner Brothers own the rights to John Constantine anyway, but the character was created by Alan Moore and is yet another original character that DC didn't compensate their creator for (a fine DC tradition going back to 1938) and another reason Moore has nothing to do with all the WB movies made using his IP. The biggest irony is that Gaiman claims he created Johanna Constantine in the comics as a "tribute" to Alan Moore; I guess one man's tribute is another man's ripoff, especially as Moore's feelings about DC are very well known

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Outstanding.
Howard dying was a serious "omfg" moment. I thought the Lalo thing would go for longer than it did but I'm glad they've dedicated a good chunk of the remaining episodes to "what happened after Saul", it's like another show altogether (Nacho dying feels like seasons ago). Nice little cameos for Walt and Jesse and I can't believe Jimmy/Saul/Gene is going to be undone by Ask Jeeves - he was a hair away from throttling Marion before he dashed off.
I'm enjoying it but
The stuff with Kim really didn't hit for me last episode, she's basically an awful person and all they did was throw in a little "her mom was a bad influence" earlier in the season by way of explanation. She's put the whole thing on Jimmy and were we supposed to feel bad for her?

Speaking of Jimmy, I'm starting to think he's just going to go full circle. We started out with Chuck saving "slippin' Jimmy" and it feels like that's where he's going to end up right about now

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
@Trem has an odd, and weird, strangely deniable foot fetish, wouldn't you agree @Wij ?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Except of course the comics show that's not true

NB. There are no rights issues because Warner Brothers own the rights to John Constantine anyway, but the character was created by Alan Moore and is yet another original character that DC didn't compensate their creator for (a fine DC tradition going back to 1938) and another reason Moore has nothing to do with all the WB movies made using his IP. The biggest irony is that Gaiman claims he created Johanna Constantine in the comics as a "tribute" to Alan Moore; I guess one man's tribute is another man's ripoff, especially as Moore's feelings about DC are very well known

Interesting infolet, Alan Moore lives less than 5 miles from me and apparently is a really nice bloke who still lives in a small, unassuming house.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Discovered Severance, enjoying it so far, but it's a little slow starting.

Such a brilliant basic idea for a story too.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I'm enjoying it but
The stuff with Kim really didn't hit for me last episode, she's basically an awful person and all they did was throw in a little "her mom was a bad influence" earlier in the season by way of explanation. She's put the whole thing on Jimmy and were we supposed to feel bad for her?

Speaking of Jimmy, I'm starting to think he's just going to go full circle. We started out with Chuck saving "slippin' Jimmy" and it feels like that's where he's going to end up right about now
Being with Jimmy brought that side out of her, she said as much when they were splitting up. They both became awful people when they were together, he just happens to be pretty awful alone as well. Kim isn't that bad though, or she certainly wasn't... she was horrified at some of the shit he was pulling before Chuck died (switching the addresses on those Mesa Verde submissions, her shock at him gleefully saying that they fell for his act in the hearing to get his law license back etc).

Besides, I don't think she's put the whole thing on him, she incriminated herself all the way through that affidavit ("Jimmy and I began a long-term, concerted effort to impeach the character of Howard Hamlin", "We used a variety of ruses to undermine Howard's reputation...", etc). I think she just reached breaking point and wanted to come clean. Jimmy told her that Lalo, Fring and Mike were all dead so she probably thought it'd be safe to go back to ABQ and set the record straight.

She's turned into this milquetoast who doesn't want the responsibility of making even the most basic decisions (mayonnaise etc). She doesn't want to be in charge of anything any more.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Fine but I'm keeping your feet.
Do you know what, I have an imaginary shotgun and I am going to shoot 200 magpies for ruining my parched garden. The cunts. Magpies and pigeons are rats.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Do you know what, I have an imaginary shotgun and I am going to shoot 200 magpies for ruining my parched garden. The cunts. Magpies and pigeons are rats.
😁

I am at one with our feathered friends now. It's the only way Deebs, be at one with them.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
That's that for Better Call Saul, then. What a show.
That really redeemed last week for me.
It's a very bitter sweet ending, his love for Kim finally making him do the morally right thing (though her getting off completely still doesn't sit right with me). His realisation that this is who he has always been and where he was always destined to end up was heartbreaking. The set pieces were absolutely brilliant, especially the smoking scene, the flame of true love still burning. I also really liked that they didn't stray from the black & white, there was no hope in his ending, he just is where he is and that's that.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
That really redeemed last week for me.
It's a very bitter sweet ending, his love for Kim finally making him do the morally right thing (though her getting off completely still doesn't sit right with me). His realisation that this is who he has always been and where he was always destined to end up was heartbreaking. The set pieces were absolutely brilliant, especially the smoking scene, the flame of true love still burning. I also really liked that they didn't stray from the black & white, there was no hope in his ending, he just is where he is and that's that.

Not how I feel about the last few episodes.

On one hand I can see it was fitting but on the other it was kind of anti-climatic - he's caught, he goes to jail for rest of his life, that's it. I also disagree he finally did the morally right thing. He was quite prepared to lie to get the best deal but only changed his testimony because of Kim, like you say he's still the same person he always was.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Not how I feel about the last few episodes.

On one hand I can see it was fitting but on the other it was kind of anti-climatic - he's caught, he goes to jail for rest of his life, that's it. I also disagree he finally did the morally right thing. He was quite prepared to lie to get the best deal but only changed his testimony because of Kim, like you say he's still the same person he always was.
Fair enough
Morally right for him would probably be a better wording, as he's like a child with no sense of right or wrong who ends up protecting his favourite teddy bear (doing whatever it takes). The character going to jail seemed right to me, blaze of glory wouldn't have made any sense for Jimmy who's always been a greedy coward. I think that was the brilliance of the Walt scene, he's basically substitute Chuck at that point in the timeline (powerful to Saul but always disapproving) and tells Saul I'd never come to you for anything proper because you've always been a greedy crook just for the sake of it. Plus the ending options were limited, they'd already done a clean escape in El Camino with Jesse, death with Walt in Breaking Bad, so prison or back to Cinnabon (between life and death) seemed to be the only way it could go.

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
Always good when a show instills this kind of debate on morals, bringing the high ground into people. Means it's done right.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Rather enjoyed the first episode of House of the Dragon.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
I finished Reacher, really enjoyed it. Hopefully they will make more.

I've just started 'Only murders in the Building'

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
One thing I like about it is that they're not going through the teething 'unknown actors' stage where the acting is shit in the first season and for some continues throughout. Casting is pretty good, I thought I wouldn't be able to stand Matt Smith but so far so good!

Trem

Final season of Better Call Saul is fucking shit.

finish the actual story before feeding us several episodes of black and white bullshit about what happens after. Surely that could have been done AFTER THE PRESENT STORY HAS FUCKING FINISHED! CUNTS.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Final season of Better Call Saul is fucking shit.

finish the actual story before feeding us several episodes of black and white bullshit about what happens after. Surely that could have been done AFTER THE PRESENT STORY HAS FUCKING FINISHED! CUNTS.
Did you turn over two pages at once? It's all from the future looking backwards?

Trem

Did you turn over two pages at once? It's all from the future looking backwards?
Did you try to suck yourself and break a nerve?

I'm sorry, it just smells of a cop out which the others never did. Like, we'll give you 47 million per episode so mske sure you string it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom