TV New Season!

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Did you all dislike the original Blackadder or just sceptical about a new one?

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Not at all, the original is a classic but if remade as it was, it probably wouldn't work in this day and age. So you're left with applying modern comedy to the original formula, which will probably be disastrous. There is hope (I imagine the cast wouldn't agree to do it if it was going to be blatantly shit) but I'm not optimistic that it'll be a fraction as good as the original.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
It literally can't be.

Blackadder was such a cultural phenomenon that it took on a life of it's own. When art of any kind becomes successful in such a public way the viewer becomes part of the phenomenom. Part of why people feel the way they do is not only was it funny, but the shared experience elevated it.

This'll be like the reworking of open all hours :(

Exioce

Part of the furniture
"Blackadder as a teacher in a university, about how much we hate young people ... guest appearances from stars such as Tom Hardy and Russell Brand"
Sounds dire.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Did you all dislike the original Blackadder or just sceptical about a new one?

Blackadder is my all-time favourite comedy, but Richard Curtis hasn't raised more than a gentle chuckle out of me for over 20 years. I'd say the same for Ben Elton but I actually quite like Upstart Crow, which I didn't realise he wrote until I read that article.

I have to say I'm hugely sceptical about this; comedy is of it's time and reinventing Blackadder just seems fraught with difficulty.

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
I have no problem at all with them bringing Blackadder back. If its great then fantastic, if it's good then I'll watch it and wish it was better, if its not I won't watch. I've never been one for "they're trampling on my memories", I loved the previous series and nothing they do now will change that.

For me Yes (Prime) Minister is the best example. That was sublime comedy that had passed the test of time frighteningly well. Brilliant scripts perfectly acted, I loved it and still do. The remake was so toe curlingly bad that I could not stand more than 3 mins before I switched off. Still love the original though. And there's no way that Blackadder can be as bad as that!

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I'm hearing good things about season 3 of Stranger Things, I haven't got around to starting it yet.

Syri

FH is my second home

Really looking forward to this one, the trailer already looks a far better adaptation than the film a while back

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing

Really looking forward to this one, the trailer already looks a far better adaptation than the film a while back

Problem is, while I loved the first two books, the third was dogshit and ruined the whole series for me. So I don't really want to invest my time in a rubbish ending.

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
I dunno. The last season wrapped things up really nicely. It properly ended.

I have worries that they're going to milk it and it'll turn shit :(

Obligatory "you did not read the books did you?".

The arc of the story is barely through the first 3 books - and there's 8 of them, with another coming in 2020. Having read them all, there's material in there for even an SG-1 like longevity for the series.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Obligatory "you did not read the books did you?".
No, I was about to but held off because TV was was so close.

I just find that TV programmes don't keep up their quality / viewership over a long time and thought the end of the last season wrapped it up nicely (despite there being more). It'd be horrid for them to continue, then get canned without finishing.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I didn't realise Robin was played by Uma Thurman's daughter... For that matter I didn't know Uma Thurman had a daughter, but this is a nice nod.

pJoO7pM.jpg

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
To me it's much like GOT - there's already quality source material (the books), this is not some Syfy or Netflix lame attempt at concocting a script, so chance of failure is pre-mitigated.
Yeah, but look how GoT quality dropped off a cliff so quickly despite the source material.

Don't get me wrong - they're making it and we'll definitely watch it, but it just made be a bit sad that there was a solid story that (mostly) finished at the end of Season 3. Don't want it to go on too long like Red Dwarf.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom