TV New Season!

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
Anyone who isn't watching Barry should absolutely be watching Barry. The latest episode was crazy.

I took you up on this one and binged it all the way through.

I got the feeling the writer/s haven't yet figured out whether they want to be serious about it - it's like they haven't yet fully fleshed the identity of the show.

It's not bad though, but it is still maturing.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I took you up on this one and binged it all the way through.

I got the feeling the writer/s haven't yet figured out whether they want to be serious about it - it's like they haven't yet fully fleshed the identity of the show.

It's not bad though, but it is still maturing.
I think that's part of its charm tbh. The whole premise is so wacky that it gives them a lot of room to involve great dramatic elements with decent comedy. Noho Hank is a fantastic character (and to think, they were planning to axe him after the first episode... he died in the car before they changed their minds), Bill Hader is surprisingly good at the dramatic stuff and Henry Winkler and the whole acting class part of the show is great.

There have been a couple of really good shows popping up over the last couple of years - Baskets and Atlanta spring to mind along with Barry. Hiro Murai, who directed quite a few Atlanta episodes, actually had a hand in quite a lot of Barry as well. The episode last week (directed by Hader) was a brilliant departure from the norm for Barry like Teddy Perkins was for Atlanta in that it just got more and more "out there" as it went along.

old.Osy

In other news, I've finished American Gods S2. Such a cracking show.

From acting, to the weave of the script to the music... long since i've breathlessly watched a show.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
In other news, I've finished American Gods S2. Such a cracking show.

From acting, to the weave of the script to the music... long since i've breathlessly watched a show.

Honestly finding it a bit of a slog.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
Loving Speechless (S3 just started) & The Good Doctor

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
Watched Chernobyl last night.... Compelling viewing but fucking hell its terrifying. Watching those poor bastards as it all unravels around them, ignorant of the dangers.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
That's the thing though. Knowing that this is what actually happened makes it so.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
Good Omens is a bit pants. They've obviously spent some serious money on it but it still manages to look cheap and the acting outside of Tennant and Sheen is generally woeful.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Good Omens is a bit pants. They've obviously spent some serious money on it but it still manages to look cheap and the acting outside of Tennant and Sheen is generally woeful.

I've only seen two eps but I'm enjoying it so far. Sheen and Tennant are wonderfully cast, and even Jack Whitehall isn't being Jack Whitehall, which is what I feared. I also like that they went the narrator route.

Yoni

Loved Good Omens.... so good we didn’t even feel like we were binge watching \o/

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Archer's back.

Any good though? I gave up on it a while back, the 30s era dream season and danger island I didn't bother to watch.

Recommending: What we do in the Shadows. It's just a fun watch, binged it pretty hard.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Watched Chernobyl last night.... Compelling viewing but fucking hell its terrifying. Watching those poor bastards as it all unravels around them, ignorant of the dangers.
Just watched the final episode, was great viewing but the stats and information at the end just overwhelmed me. The sacrifices the people made to make that reactor safe.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Just watched the final episode, was great viewing but the stats and information at the end just overwhelmed me. The sacrifices the people made to make that reactor safe.

Haven't seen the final episode yet, but the first 4 have been incredible TV - if you get a chance, there's a good mini-Series from YouTube I believe the show was based on, has some real footage from the plant itself.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfDa8tR25dk

8 mins in shows the first suicide mission to go up to the roof to look down on the reactor, 19 minutes has actual footage of them trying to clear the roof. It was originally filmed by the Soviet Government to show others what to do when they got up on the roof, and you can see a clip of it playing before they go out in the HBO Series.

Whilst I would never dream of linking to another forum on here, if you go onto the Pistonheads Forum and look in TV, Film and Radio, there is a great thread with lots of background info around Chernobyl, and the nuclear industry itself.

Scariest thing was that the design fault which caused the disaster in the first place was known about 10 years prior to Chernobyl, but the Soviet Nuclear Program could not be questioned and it was buried until Reactor 4 went bang.

Happiest part of it? You know the 3 guys who went to drain the pumps to save Europe on a suicide mission? 2 of the 3 are still alive to this day (the 3rd died of a heart attack in 2005).

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter

it's been a superb series. i thought the got the casting and everything just perfect. not been able to find fault with it. Even had my kids (18 and 21) captivated. It got me a rare hour sat with both of them with no phones or anything. Daughter has listened to podcasts about it, bought a superb book (voices of chernobyl) which has more stories from those who lived around pripyat etc, its really fired her interest.

Yoni

I have not finished it yet but so far it is superb

Yoni

Finished Chernobyl..... very very hard to watch ep4 by far the worst

The killing of the animals and then watching them being dumped..... I know it was necessary but just eurgh

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Chernobyl was great, I thought the explanation of how it all happened at the trial in the last episode was really well done (not really having any real idea of how exactly it happened beforehand).

There's an accompanying set of podcasts with the writer (who, bizarrely, co-wrote the Hangover movies) which goes into detail about each episode and how they were (or weren't) historically accurate.

Yoni

Season 2 off Happy! Was brilliant if grotesque at times

Sax escaping out of a wishie via its arsehole for example

old.Osy

Finished Lucifer. I'll file it under "cop show with a twist", as that's all it is.

6/10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom