TV New Season!

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Assuming he actually did break his leg, of course. I do think it happened but, looking at the pictures when it happened and the footage from the episode, he was bloody lucky to get out and away from the car. I don't know if he got out on his own or if he was dragged out before the fire took hold (it didn't look like it took long).

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Assuming he actually did break his leg, of course. I do think it happened but, looking at the pictures when it happened and the footage from the episode, he was bloody lucky to get out and away from the car. I don't know if he got out on his own or if he was dragged out before the fire took hold (it didn't look like it took long).
Yep. Assuming he did break his leg. Looking at the footage of the crash - *how* - seriously how? It's straight on after the end of the finish line, no breaking.

I know Dustin Hoffman isn't the popular guy right now, but anyone remember Wag The Dog? ;)

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Yep. Assuming he did break his leg. Looking at the footage of the crash - *how* - seriously how? It's straight on after the end of the finish line, no breaking.

I know Dustin Hoffman isn't the popular guy right now, but anyone remember Wag The Dog? ;)

Hello, I’m a tinfoil salesman, boy do I have some good offers for you!

Way too many uncontrollable factors to fake, and GT wouldn’t need the PR anyway.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Hello, I’m a tinfoil salesman, boy do I have some good offers for you!
Yeah, I'm aware of that :)

I do think that Hammond shouldn't be allowed behind the wheel of a car again though - any n00b would have, y'know, hit the brakes before the corner? Perhaps his last brain fail means he now has a tendency to black out a little when cornering hard...

DaGaffer

Yeah, I'm aware of that :)

I do think that Hammond shouldn't be allowed behind the wheel of a car again though - any n00b would have, y'know, hit the brakes before the corner? Perhaps his last brain fail means he now has a tendency to black out a little when cornering hard...

Or, you have to recalibrate your senses when driving an electric car at speed perhaps? I would imagine the lack of mechanical noise and always on torque could catch you out quite easily.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Or, you have to recalibrate your senses when driving an electric car at speed perhaps? I would imagine the lack of mechanical noise and always on torque could catch you out quite easily.
Notwithstanding the long straight to the obvious corner which your eyes show that you're approaching at speed eh?

I wonder if deaf people crash more than non-deaf people?

Edit: Apparently not.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
And he'd already finished the run* so why was he still going so fast?

*unless that finish line he went over before he crashed was for a different course

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
And he'd already finished the run* so why was he still going so fast?

*unless that finish line he went over before he crashed was for a different course

Nah, it was after the finish line.

DaGaffer

Notwithstanding the long straight to the obvious corner which your eyes show that you're approaching at speed eh?

I wonder if deaf people crash more than non-deaf people?

Edit: Apparently not.

The deaf people idea doesn’t fly because they’ve always been deaf,but switching from noisy super cars to silent ones is inevitably going to have some effect; if you drive properly you’re taking in all the sensory inputs available to you, but that’s not the only issue; if you’re used to driving a two or three pedal car, you need to start thinking of electric cars as a one pedal car; the throttle is also a brake (MUCH more so than engine braking in an ICE vehicle) and a sudden lift off can brake an electric car hard. Do this when (for instance) the wheels are slightly turned, or on an uneven surface, and you can easily induce snap oversteer. Most electric cars counter this with traction software or aren’t powerful enough for this to be an issue, but the Rimac...maybe not.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
You drive cars fast for a living, your on a track in a fast car. One that is new to you, the whole concept. You have been stuck driving it on dull Swiss roads for the last 48 hours.

You would probably be driving it as fast as possible for as long as possible, seeing as they didn't actually get much track time with it.

People do actually crash in race conditions, all the time. He was just unfortunate to do it on a hill climb track, which naturally has sloped sides, which means he easily flipped it.

Its not actually that complicated. A little confused as to why its some weird conspiracy theory?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
if you’re used to driving a two or three pedal car, you need to start thinking of electric cars as a one pedal car; the throttle is also a brake (MUCH more so than engine braking in an ICE vehicle) and a sudden lift off can brake an electric car hard. Do this when (for instance) the wheels are slightly turned, or on an uneven surface, and you can easily induce snap oversteer. Most electric cars counter this with traction software or aren’t powerful enough for this to be an issue, but the Rimac...maybe not.
Maybe engine braking is massive - but either way - I don't accept that the car is *so* different that he couldn't have easily avoided this - he'd passed that finish line and had aaaaaaaaaages to slow down. In fact, you could see the sharp left hander from the long gentle right hand bend before it. So it's either A) massive incompetence, B) a serious design flaw/component failure, or C) staged.

Watched the crash a few times on youtube. It's awful driving tbh. Truly awful, so I'm going with A...

A little confused as to why its some weird conspiracy theory?
It's not really - that was tongue in cheek.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Oh come on @Scouse you are just arguing for the sake of it.
Not really arguing. It's only Top Gear after all :)

Just discussing. It was just a bit weird is all.

Edit: Apart from when they were in the studio, really enjoyed it.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
I know that the Rimac has some too clever by half torque vectoring to get it round a corner properly, reading between the lines of the statement from Rimac this could have been a factor in the crash. Or Hammond could just be useless.

Thought it was an interesting comparison - putting a £2 million hypercar up against two "normal" supercars, and being surprised when spending that much cash gets you that much extra performance. Would love to see that Rimac up against a Chiron and a Koenigsegg.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
spending that much cash gets you that much extra performance. Would love to see that Rimac up against a Chiron and a Koenigsegg.
I think it'd romp tbh. All the power available immediately?

But meh - the car on the back of the truck is all you need to know about the state of electric cars at the moment.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Electric cars are always going to be faster at accelerating, due to the way they work.

Still shit for real world use though, getting there though.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
They have higher torque from zero revs, but are not constantly efficient through the entire rev range, also they make heat..which is actually useful, like in combustion cars for warming the passengers..keeping the batteries warm and de icing in winter.
Still on days like these electric cars really suffer, the batteries are down on power, the snow wont melt off led headlamps, you have to blitz the battery to defrost the windows...and if youre thinking of powering them from renewables, theres fuck all usable wind or solar in the winter.
So fuck it...burn oil.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
I think it'd romp tbh. All the power available immediately?

But meh - the car on the back of the truck is all you need to know about the state of electric cars at the moment.

Judging by Youtube the Rimac only just outruns the 10 year old Veyron, so I suspect the Chiron would make fairly easy meat of it.

And it is full torque from zero, not power. That's why EV's tend to shoot off then get hauled back in by stuff with real engines :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Judging by Youtube the Rimac only just outruns the 10 year old Veyron, so I suspect the Chiron would make fairly easy meat of it.

And it is full torque from zero, not power. That's why EV's tend to shoot off then get hauled back in by stuff with real engines :)
In real-world use that initial shoot-off is the important bit tbh - it's not like people often drive at 160mph+.

Not that it's "important" anyway ;)

Job

While building my ekectric bike and looking into making my own battery pack, the horror stories of li-ion and li-po self destruction brings it home how quickly things can go wrong in large cell battery packs.

You have to get charging just right or runaway thermal ignition will leave you with a smouldering hole in the road where your car was.
One glitch in the battery management electronics....fireworks.

...just a bad day...a real expensive BBQ... LIPO …:
View: http://youtu.be/tRUC_05KmkU

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
He is far enough away from me for the consequences to be funny. So i dont care :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
While building my ekectric bike and looking into making my own battery pack, the horror stories of li-ion and li-po self destruction brings it home how quickly things can go wrong in large cell battery packs.
We definitely need more of those things on mountain bike and walking trails.

Job

You could say it was steam powered.

Job

Obviously they are just silly, but its not as bad as you think..soon the bikes are going to have abs and traction control, add wider low pressure tyres and you are going to be doing much less damage to trails.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Obviously they are just silly, but its not as bad as you think..soon the bikes are going to have abs and traction control, add wider low pressure tyres and you are going to be doing much less damage to trails.
They can have whatever they like but they'll be driven by nobbers who previously wouldn't have had access...

Ormorof

FH is my second home
They have higher torque from zero revs, but are not constantly efficient through the entire rev range, also they make heat..which is actually useful, like in combustion cars for warming the passengers..keeping the batteries warm and de icing in winter.
Still on days like these electric cars really suffer, the batteries are down on power, the snow wont melt off led headlamps, you have to blitz the battery to defrost the windows...and if youre thinking of powering them from renewables, theres fuck all usable wind or solar in the winter.
So fuck it...burn oil.

Norway has huge uptake of electric cars, have much harsher winters than the UK and they power it all by renewables...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom