New PC build, opinions please

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
I am considering building a small form factor PC for my sitting room.initially this will be just a games machine playing on my very ordinary 40" HD TV. Later in the year I am thinking of buying a VR headset, probably Vive at the moment but it'll be interesting to see what the new Valve vr unit is like.

I can't throw unlimited cash at this, so I'm somewhat on a budget but need it to be up to the VR task, with some degree of future proofing. I don't need loads of storage, I can stream video and music from my NAS, so I've come up with the following as a rough guide. I need to add a windows 10 oem licence to this and would like to knock a bit off this cost if possible, and practical.

System Builder - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core, GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB GAMING AMP, ZM-T1 PLUS MicroATX Mini Tower - PCPartPicker United Kingdom

Any thoughts? There are a couple of compatability issues with that exact build so it is just a starting point.

Thank you

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
I'm a noob at this, but doesn't the gpu shit on the cpu too much?

Also you're paying for P&P on that cpu.

Also, 'budget' - £1k

Moriath

I am a FH squatter

Also you're paying for P&P on that cpu.

Also, 'budget' - £1k
2060is ok but its rubbish for ray tracing and you can get the 1660 cheaper or around the same price and its faster. Only doesnt have ray tracing which as i said the 2060 is too slow to do properly anyway.

Then you could add an extra 100 into your cpu pot.

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home

Sorry not up on teacher speak, do you mean that this cpu will be a bottleneck with that graphics card? :)

What would a better cpu be?

I did consider the 1660ti, which would save me a bit, and ray tracing isn't a priority, just didn't realise that the 2060 was actually slower! Thought that was a bit of future proofing. I like the single fan size that these cards come in and thought it would make my build easier.

Thanks

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
As for cpu bottlenecking gpu. Is different game to game.

One game uses more cpu another more gpu.

Not sure with amd but a cpu 2 or 3 gens old like a top line i5 or i7 would be fine with most of the high end gpus in most games.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Sorry not up on teacher speak, do you mean that this cpu will be a bottleneck with that graphics card? :)

What would a better cpu be?

I did consider the 1660ti, which would save me a bit, and ray tracing isn't a priority, just didn't realise that the 2060 was actually slower! Thought that was a bit of future proofing. I like the single fan size that these cards come in and thought it would make my build easier.

Thanks
Ok the better bang for buck is the 1660 ti. The 2060 is faster i mistook sorry. But its a lot more expensive. And if your running at 1080p its extra power would be wasted tbh.

What resolution do you game at?

GeForce RTX 2060 vs GTX 1660 Ti: Which graphics card should you buy? | PC Gamer

This is a comparison. Either way i think the 2xxx cards are way over priced for what they are cause of the rtx push.

And a 2060 is too slow to do rtx at reasonable frames. You need to 2070 or higher for that.

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
For 1080p on tv this is more than enough, but it's the vr that I want to be sure about. I think from reading around that the 1060ti will be fine for vr now, but would need upgrading sooner. This is probably fine.

I was going for an AMD cpu thinking they are best bang for buck at the moment. It's that still correct? Should I look at Ryzen 7 not 5?

Thanks again

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
A bit more reading here

Best processors 2019: the best CPUs from Intel and AMD | TechRadar

Suggests a Ryzen 7 1800x as the best value VR processor at the moment, but it does suggest it runs hot so I may have to reconsider my case and cooling choices. It also is quite power hungry so may need a higher rated psu.
Pure gaming intel is still the best.

Vr i think ryzen takes the edge. But mostly when you get to gfx intensive stuff its the gpu that bottlenecks a system.

Ryzen are also cheaper than intel. So those are targetted by people on a budget. And with gpus like the 2070 going for 700+ no matter what @Gwadien thinks 1k is a budget pc these days.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Also just to add but AMD is always better now when it comes to multithreaded performance, something which games are moving more and more too.

Disclaimer: I rebuilt my PC late last year and threw in an AMD 2600x

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
If you're going VR pump your GPU to the absolute max you can.

A single dropped frame is really jarring - and you need to be running at 90fps at high resolutions for VR rigs.

Personally, I won't touch VR at the moment and I run an i7 and a 1080Ti.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
If you're going VR pump your GPU to the absolute max you can.

A single dropped frame is really jarring - and you need to be running at 90fps at high resolutions for VR rigs.

Personally, I won't touch VR at the moment and I run an i7 and a 1080Ti.

sorry but thats bollox, the way oculus / vive SDKs work makes up for it massively, Oculus at least can drop as low as 45fps without any jarring (source: worked in company producing high end VR content, neither graphics devs or the artists whose job it is to spot this kind of thing could tell the difference).

I played for hours on an oculus just last friday with a 1070 in a laptop and it handles it without complaint.

Of course next gen headsets are a different kettle of fish ;)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Fair enough @Ormorof - was told that by a game developer who said that they had to massively drop their polygon count to hit the frame rate.

Do you not get roomsick? I've only tried VR once, on the playstation for 20 minutes. Felt sick for three hours :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom