New Frontiers - First Impressions

Wazkyr

One of Freddy's beloved
Started like shit, lagged like hell, 1500 spots for 30k ppl...
But later (after 12) it was really fun, me and Illtarus did duo with 2 rangers, and it was nasty :), could oneshot many casters, 2 or 3 shoot the 500 minstrels out :), and really love range.

vintervargen

Banned
i lub the terrain and scenery :)

think rvr gonna be much more fun, you just need to know where to go so it suits your style :)

Thornar

Fledgling Freddie
Damon_D said:
No go here , when I click play the game pauses for 2 sec's then nothing , stuck at the char screen........
Same here. :clap:

Ixoth

One of Freddy's beloved
Damon_D said:
No go here , when I click play the game pauses for 2 sec's then nothing , stuck at the char screen........

You prolly have same situation as my char has now. Your char is logged in a place what is closed. In my situation its aegirhamn. (my char was first logged to the nalliten. Entered to portal, and I got the char selection screen. After that even I clicked the play button in that dialog game wouldn't load).

Blitzing

Fledgling Freddie
well my first impression was good, mostly because i could make any char i wanted lvl 50 :D i started out trying a hunter like ALOT of other people. just wanted to see how much love they got :D and tbh they got a lot, cause the range they get when on a high point is insane, litterly insane and sick. its like put 10 hunters on a keep and they can take the zerg before any of them get into bolt range :D its sick, but still fun. but they should really work on it. in know a lot of people say, well its only realistic, that they gain more range when shooting down hill and so on and so on, but still, they are pretty much ontuchable by any other than stealthers, cause they can get close unseen. maybe its just me, but i think its pretty overpowred(way first NF fotm whine :D)

Gear

Can't get enough of FH
Amazing. I loged in after 1am CET, had almost no lag problems at all, and I found NF to actually make RvR amazing. What I noticed was that people there were pathetic. Some had BBs, others were actually putting items in their vaults!! Also I couldn't communicate with anyone on the server apart from the exca people I already know, as all the spam was in german/french.

Tried the RAs I want for my ranger and my NS, vanish is indeed amazing, it's a I survive button. I love MoS. I was running around with 40 modified stealth and I was going with an amazing speed. Detection range with MoS 3 is quite decent. My comparison was that the assasin classes do have some advantage, but used wisely you can always get away or avoid being PAd (if you're an archer). Ranger's RR5 ability is a lifesaver. I jumped on a mincer, and after killing him I was attacked by an SB, using that gave me the time to run away and restealth, i.e. survive.

Some more general observations. Just before logging in I was defending an eras tower (with the NS unfortunately but that gave me another prespective). The oil, negates faultfinder. Not that anyone had it, but without cover under the door, not that many survived. About 50 albs had problem taking a tower from 4-5 hibs. Assassins with vanish can terrorise enemy healers/casters that go just a bit out of the zerg. Tanks can have an amazing time battling outside the towers/keeps, there is plenty of space for open battles, and I don't think that we're gonna have the problems that US had.

Concluding, NF did put some faith back in the game for me. Amazing.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Cylian said:
we get 1.70, US got 1.71 currently.

And 1.71 changed quite a lot for keeps and relics.

Strange, I didn't know that 1.70 was going to be the last patch they'll ever translate...

As for NF being dead - yes that's true on the 600 pop US servers, it's still very busy on the decent pop ones - far more than emain ever was.

Of course all the l33t coxxors will have moved to Camlann to grief each other but that's a good thing ;)

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
best thing about 1.70 I found was the grouping:

can invite from anywhere

can join a group in combat (as long as it's RvR - 1.71 can join if you're not in combat even if the group is in pve combat)

Helme

Resident Freddy
Had lots of fun with some people from #celticfist, if the lag just went away i woud have even more fun :)

Teknoid

Fledgling Freddie
i am really enjoying it, Last night myself and Clink were running around just investigating how things work, learning about the /rw maps. teleports, boat traveling, and generally the 2 of us consistantly getting done over by 1fg hibbies everywhere :p

It seems good fun for me, i would like to see the server limit raised to 2000 for a little bit more action to happen, but with the lag as it is, thats just not going to happen for now.

Camping docks has fast become popular, hopefully if we can see as many players in the realms on the normal servers, as we do on gorre, then that wont be a problem, but i am a bit worried about prydwen, hibbies being low on player count, their docks could quite easily be camped all day long :(

Dorin

Fledgling Freddie
Teknoid said:
It seems good fun for me, i would like to see the server limit raised to 2000 for a little bit more action to happen, but with the lag as it is, thats just not going to happen for now.

nah just server needs to run smoothly (no 5+ sec delay on actions, no dead zones like cam-si zones). Played around for 1 hour on my sorc there (took me about 30-40mins to get gear - rr - training as i had to run from adribards to cam, as si zone was done t_t). The amount of players was decreasing fast (6xx albs when i started, 4xx when i logged off). So 1500 limit is ok imo (though there should be at least 3 LAGFREE test servers), lets hope lag-dead zones wont be a problem at prime couse many ppl can play that time only (like me)

Cruhar

Fledgling Freddie
Fana said:
3 bugs enountered so far:

Tower door untargetable by me (others could still hit it), only happened once and could hit door next tower i tried on.

Had this one too when we were hitting Beno, I couldnt select any of the Tower doors, so I climped to the battlement and took down lagging casters instead

Fana said:
Vanishment doing nothing, nada, zip. Used it when a nightshade attacked me when i was low on health just now, and he could happily nuke me and then stick-follow me while it lasted.

What level did you take it to? Remember level 1 just hides you for 1 sec before you get targetable again. Works fine vs guards atleast. Tho the lag made it hard to use, might have been your problem?

Fana said:
All or some names turn white now and then, and only way to make them the proper color again is to click on them and then click something else. Happens alot.

Yeah, didnt ruin anything tho ;)

I also encountered another bug. I stealthed from the milegate and down to one of the docks, took a ship to Alb-land. Still stealthed.
A lurikeen ran past me without noticing me, assuming still stealthed.
Once I got near a tower a Yellow Guard Armswoman ran towards me and attacked me, still stealthed ... fought this critter, being stealthed all the time, poisons working etc. When the guard was dead I clicked the stealth-icon just to see if I would unstealth .. got the message you normally get when stealthing, didnt pop visible

Fana said:
Other than that its a blast!

Just as a sidenote - NF doesnt look as boring for pure tanks as the Yanks and Sigurd have stated. Plenty to do around at Keeptake/Defence it seems

Oh and :worthy: @ the moving War Rams! :clap:

Rothzak

Fledgling Freddie
killed a BD this morning at uhh i think it was berkstaad tower, ported there, and 2 BD's were pouncing on the south tower walls, cast some earth elementals, unfortunately i didnt see the other BD hehe...fell on the ground, but killed the BD and claimed 100arpees dead :D lovely for the poor peeps who fall first (avalonian/elf/kobold?) :D

LawBringer

Fledgling Freddie
NF 1st impression - very good - luv the teleport in frontiers and the warmap - managed to turn up and participate in many keep takes/defences - popped into DF as well and payed a visit to Hibs :) On a 50 Friar - had some solo encounters - with various classes - also rolled a Hib - luved the NS I rolled - can't get on at mo, but for 1st impressions - gets my vote - not sure how this will represent the actual release as Beta has everyone in Diamond DF gear so lvl playing field - tested out some nice RA's though - the boats Rock - luvved chasing down some hib boat whilst guys on board where firing seige at them - so funny when boat sinks :)

Breon

Fledgling Freddie
managed to get on this morning. Was impressed with the keeptaking. Didnt notice any of the lag thats been mentioned.

Tilda

lefo said:
And absolutely sadest thing about NF is that 2 weeks after going live it will become a ghost place (especialy on pryd) and everyone will move to camlann. I left daoc because of NF and i was very excited about it at first and was testing it for one motht. NF trully killed daoc.

And btw , get some irc channels ready because it will be the only way to find a rvr fight - thats the way rvr will be.

And btw #2, will be fun to read all those whines about albs owning all relics and keeps after first 2 days :)

And hibs lolololol, start to reroll to other realms NOW !

Now that was a sad post hehe :) But what the hell, You all have fun while it lasts, because it wont be for long (few days realy).
Its ironic really, i'd swear US people were yelling doom and gloom with the advent of spell crafting, SI and ToA. Whats funny is that excal population has grown rather than shrunk with each of these patches.
I'm sure the EU lot will find a way, and that things will be back to normal after a while.

Tilda

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Tilda said:
Its ironic really, i'd swear US people were yelling doom and gloom with the advent of spell crafting, SI and ToA. Whats funny is that excal population has grown rather than shrunk with each of these patches.
I'm sure the EU lot will find a way, and that things will be back to normal after a while.

Tilda

personally I hope things will be better than normal ;) since OF RvR does suck mightily.

[SS]Gamblor

Fledgling Freddie
well i have to say is WOW.

it's looking fantastic. I'm excepting the lagg as it's beta and jsut trying to get on and have a bit of fun.

Made a reaver, and played that most of the night, also made a Friar ( St3 rules) and a scout ( but havent' had a chance to play him yet) .

but yeah the way to teleport , moving about on boats and the /realmwar is dam nice =)

must say i'm really looking forward to this going live.

only bug i've found is that i came back into beno , and went to find the teleport stone , it wouldn't show , everyone else could see it but me :(
a relog fixed that though.

other than that really enjoying it. watched aload of alb tanks get killed with boiling oil . was very nice =)

lefo

Fledgling Freddie
I wish you guys were right about NF. But you will see later on what i was talking about. I was not even a gank group person,i liked zerging more. But people just didnt want to adapt to keep taking and it eventualy died, only few gank groups remained that use irc to make fights, where no one would disturb them. Golden fucking Emain i tell you. Although im very sure pryd will die in 1 month from NF going live (i may be wrong again but...).

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
lefo said:
I wish you guys were right about NF. But you will see later on what i was talking about. I was not even a gank group person,i liked zerging more. But people just didnt want to adapt to keep taking and it eventualy died, only few gank groups remained that use irc to make fights, where no one would disturb them. Golden fucking Emain i tell you. Although im very sure pryd will die in 1 month from NF going live (i may be wrong again but...).

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

sorry archeon - stealing your lines :)

oblimov

Luver of Buckfast
rofl prw will die from NF?

SUrely thats a wee bit extreme lol

From what ive done in NF i think it roxs, makes my life as bard way more interesting and im luving the RA's, MOC is a god send :D

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
lefo said:
lol, youll see :) wawe the rvr good bye.

I notice on your sig you're not playing on prydwen actively anymore having moved to the US - so the RvR can't have been that good in OF ;)

Naetha

Fledgling Freddie
How many times has it been said that Prydwen will die after XX patch, or XX game comes out? We're still here, and the large majority of us aren't going anywhere. EU servers rarely mirror US servers - I'm not too sure why but the EU play style seems different - more focussed and committed. I think the lack of choice of servers may have something to do with it - most people have one realm as a main and another they play for more low-level fun, while on US servers people often have active characters in all 3 realms as well as characters on PvP, Co-op and roleplay servers, which leads to an overwhelming amount of time to get yourself ToA'd up/High RR etc, hence people quitting sooner, or being more likely to go to other games,

On topic - NF looks pretty good - the graphics and play are both good, and the logistics of moving people around is infinitely better, although I'd like it if it could tell you which keep is which when you click on them on the war map ;)

lefo

Fledgling Freddie
oblimov said:
rofl prw will die from NF?

SUrely thats a wee bit extreme lol

From what ive done in NF i think it roxs, makes my life as bard way more interesting and im luving the RA's, MOC is a god send :D

Its 100% rvr change we are talking about here, not TOA or SC. Yep it will be extreme. You are testing now, things are gonna change dramaticaly after NF goes live :) And btw, wave DF good bye hibs and mids because you are not going to see it till 1.71. Im just realistic here.

rynnor

Rockhound
It looks very pretty but its a very large area with only 5% ever going to be used - its either completely empty or zerged to hell - defenders have a massive advantage and can flood any battle with troops...

I havent seen a halfway balanced battle yet - theres also no strategy required...

Looks pretty tho...

[SS]Gamblor

Fledgling Freddie
lefo said:

doomed.jpg

on a side note .. Giv Kungfu Grp imo

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom