New Frontiers - First Impressions

Treon

Fledgling Freddie
My first impression was OMG! the keeps looks nice but the thing i dont like is that is like 10000000 of tower and keeps way to many of em. As some other person said, u just need to adjust nf to your own playstyle. oh and btw gorre laaaaagged like hell :=) might be aproblem to find fights when it goes live since its so big and if u dont want sieges that is.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
lefo said:
Its 100% rvr change we are talking about here, not TOA or SC. Yep it will be extreme. You are testing now, things are gonna change dramaticaly after NF goes live :) And btw, wave DF good bye hibs and mids because you are not going to see it till 1.71. Im just realistic here.

But thats cause the population is higher on alb in the US if u look at prydwen the population is a lot more balanced .. tho hibs might struggle a bit .. At least one realm shouldnt be able to out number both

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Cruhar said:
What level did you take it to? Remember level 1 just hides you for 1 sec before you get targetable again. Works fine vs guards atleast. Tho the lag made it hard to use, might have been your problem?

No all levels last 5 sec, its what speed you get when under the effect thats different - level1 is normal stealthspeed, level2 is speed1 and level3 is speed5.
http://www.legionsofasgard.com/newRA.htm

Ive heard that apparently its broken if someone has already started casting a spell on you or an arrow is in the air when you use the ability, so probably what happened to me since i got a nightshade-dd on me directly after using it.

Jaem-

Can't get enough of FH
So far, hmm not getting into it so well, miss the bottle necks like mile gates, where I could find a fight like 80% of the time when passing etc. But just don't know where to head to for small scruffles, seems all zerg zerg to a keep that shows on the warmap. :<

Hope the BG's will be to my liking more.

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
Early this morning with about 1000 players on Gorre, it was running fine.
Infact NF seems to be smoother than regular frontiers, which surprised me as I was expecting low FPS.

Looks like mythic wanted to give NF flatter ground and higher visibility... feels like one big battleground...

Nive11en

Fledgling Freddie
I really like NF. Easier to solo with a caster, before the milegates choked quite well, usually some stealther would kill a solo caster. Now I can teleport wherever I want.

Was playing around with a trebuchet too, I love the new siege weapons. My wizzie was able to operate it, nothing more fun than throwing boulders at yer realm mates :D

SevenSins

Fledgling Freddie
I am completely enjoying New Frontiers, finally, no more MG's everyone has to pass, or PK's that can be camped 24/7, no more commoners routes, no more spots you just KNOW there will be stealthzergs.

You can avoid everything, and take a different route, get good 1 on 1 fights as NF seems bigger (doubt it is, though), more classes who will actually solo (even if this means BD's/Sorcs/Enchanters), and last but not least, keepwarfare at it's best.

Roll on NF on the live servers is what I say, I've been good for 100k rps now or so, and am completely into it, once again, ROLL ON NF! :)

And what Escape said, somehow I magically have a way higher FPS in zergs than I used to do, also expected the Keeps to be Polygon heavy, but they've really outdone themselves this time (Mythic that is), compared to the previous (pre-toa) "Shadows and RvR Graphics Improovement" (Pre-Caching) Patch.

Gorren

Fledgling Freddie
hmmmm first impressions well only been in NF once and got lost so wernt too great but DF is brilliant love zerging hib entrance

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
Jaem- said:
So far, hmm not getting into it so well, miss the bottle necks like mile gates, where I could find a fight like 80% of the time when passing etc. But just don't know where to head to for small scruffles...

Yes, milegates were well known for their small scruffles ;)

Olgaline

FH is my second home
CstasY said:
Our keep take just crashed the server! \o/
nah was a general shut down to fix patch..got 5 min warning ;)

now impresions..hmm well
i for one have mixed feelings, and i do agree it seems very zerg vs zerg vs zerg..and thats fine for gorre, since it's fun, dont knwo if i'll like it on excal tho..and i for one will miss the 8v8 rvr..and my sav will prob end up as a solo cha :/

runies, hunters, and basicly any with gt & aoe seem to be the way to go for high rpts count, sb's with shadow strike & vanish2 is preaty damn funny, but also seems preaty op'ed."free kill" so to speak, mostealth is really nice. Thanes seems fun but tempest isnt all i expected it to be, but the free end 1 for tanks is great i must admit, and a good idea, purge 3 is really nice, and one hardly needs det with it, but again preatty expensive 30pts just for that alone, i also like ip2, ip1 however almost seems a waste of points.

well tho's are some quick thoughts, i look forward to trying out more classes , as many as i can, in ubah df armor & wepons hehe, and to the people using bb's in a beta.??? why ? even if you loose and die you can be at the battle within 5mins almost were ever it is..with port gems, and the nf keep port system, i really fail to see the point tbh, but oh well,

Iphis

Fledgling Freddie
First impressions : firstly i was like wow look at this place erm how do i get out the keep spent the evening wandering around aimlessly having no idea where the hell i was ;) but graphics were very nice.

Roled an infil the second day came across my first bug :p friend said that he could see a catapult on top of me which was infact not there....it then proceeded to follow me around in stealth (such radar) . Quite useful for testing out the new ra system....i love vanish :flame: will have another go at getting on l8r tonite when less populated, hopefuly chest will be up then cos my stlong df glowies kinda suck ;)

apart from the lagg spikes which are insane u following some1 attempting to hit them they lagg all over the shop then ure dead after taking no dmg but all in the name of fun

Daedalus

Can't get enough of FH
Yeah, it seems nice. Just wish they'd lower the population cap to 1200. Half of the bugs are caused by the lag, delayed updates and malformed updates.

Nimah™

Loyal Freddie
Very good impressions then :) Only people 'qq' about is the lag, and how they cannot get on the server, but that won't be a problem when NF goes live :p

I love the portal system, and as Sevensins said, you can avoid going certain places without passing any kind of milegate, and at the same time you can get STRAIGHT back into the action.

Well done GOA/Mythic Imo :clap:

Bloodclot

Banned
beginning afternoon when SI was down.
it was very fun to play.

once SI came up, lag fests starts. server can't handle 100 ppl in a small zone constantly dropping items on the floor.

/delete SI imo:)
ur just remove the boxes and give standaard gear to /level chars.

Indio

Fledgling Freddie
Nimah™ said:
So, what do you think to New Frontiers going by your first impressions? ....

Ummm, well the splash screen looks nice (that's as far as I have managed to get so far).

CstasY

Fledgling Freddie
Rofl, I just spent 20 minutes swimming across the north sea, think I'l get a boat next time. :m00:

[GOA]Erivoss

[GOA] Official type person
The lag itself isn't being caused by the hundreds of people in the zone but by the fact that these hundreds of people are all spamming the Gold and Glory gems, loot chests, dropping items on the floor (please please please DESTROY items, don't drop them!) etc.

Other than that the NF zones seem to handle all the zergs quite well, had around 500 last night over the NF zones (remember they're all being run on the same machine now) and there were no signs of crashing so it's looking promising :)

There'll be proper stress tests later on when the majority of people have stopped using the G&Gs etc. Details will follow later.

Breon

Fledgling Freddie
I was wondering that earlier. Before we had to port to each of the realm zones now its all in one.What with all the new graphics and zergs it seems to be handling it well (well i didn't notice any lag at all when was on)

CstasY

Fledgling Freddie
Also, nfi if its a bug, or due to lag etc. But my stun immunity timer doesnt seem to be working, I was slammed three times in the space of 60 seconds. ;o

Nimah™

Loyal Freddie
CstasY said:
Also, nfi if its a bug, or due to lag etc. But my stun immunity timer doesnt seem to be working, I was slammed three times in the space of 60 seconds. ;o
On my scout (oh, ding rr6.. :m00: ) I slammed a SM once, he purged, slammed again and it worked full time.

Talivar

Part of the furniture
I played US NF 1.70 and 1.71 and the servers wasnt empty,Fgs hadnt all moved to pvp servers and df was mainly albs in 1.70 but not fully,then after 1.71 all seemed balanced again :)
The US servers i tried was lower pop servers than excal aswell:)

Chesnox

Fledgling Freddie
Gank squads, the Emain diehards and those who must earn 50k RP will hate it, but then, thats why Mythic changed it imho.

From my pov, even after the lag and getting onto the server, its truly great. Can just roam around following the flames on the realmwar map at my leisure, joining groups when neccesarry. No more boring and annoying spamming at Emain mtk desperately trying to find a grp ("u got BG?, no thx m8") only to be passed up for hrs on end cos I am not-fotm enough. (Natch there will be fotm in NF *cough* scouts/sorcs, but I do think NF allows the casual soloer to earn RP more than OF, which tbh favoured the obsessive fotmers)

Asty

Fledgling Freddie
Only played like hour so far but first impressions arent too good... Very boring frontier zones, gimped RA's and my solo body sorc sucked :p

SevenSins

Fledgling Freddie
The gimped RA thing jumps to my mind, it seems people are forgetting that every class in NF will only have a selective choice of either passive/active RA's, or a combination thereof.

This makes things a lot more like customizing/personalizing your char. Most RA's are very situational, others needed, you can judge from your own playstyle what will be neccesary more than something else.

And about the Heavy cost, well, RR6 and you can have shitloads of Goodies, and RR6 will be quite 'fast' attainable, even for the "casual gamer" after NF.

Tazock

Fledgling Freddie
yep, cause of the constant action..even when you are solo you get in descent fights where the rp flow is quite high. got lots of one versus one fights highly amusing....brought back sweet memories of hadrian before toa.
Or you just jump in on any hotspot.

Old rvr was death for 90% of the server population, cause of all the optimal chars crap and the fg gank groups who always found you even when you stood behind a tree in another zone:) the camping of tks....now you just port away and there isn't just one place to camp anymore. You also got some nice open terrains everywhere and some old ruins. I think It's going to be fun:)

didn't check with me sorc the beast availability yet, but I'll see what I can find..all past knowledge is useless now;)

Daedalus

Can't get enough of FH
Tazock said:
didn't check with me sorc the beast availability yet, but I'll see what I can find..all past knowledge is useless now;)

I'm not entirely sure about that. Mobs still seem to be around the same keeps they used to be. I think.

I wish they'd fix the isolist cleric's buffs though.

Dukat

Resident Freddy
First impressions: oh ffs someone stole me name! give it back! omg

Its little bit laggy but i expected that. I LOVE the new keeps, cant wait to defend one in a proper battle. I like the new icons, didnt really get a chance to test out the RA's yet.

I thought that the terrain seemed a tad small when compared to Old Frontiers, and I miss my pennine mountains :( as other people have said, the landscape seemed to be dominated by the keeps, thought this isnt a bad thing in my opinion: in some of the Old Frontier areas you could wander around for ages without seeing anyone or anything, where as with New Frontiers you seem to have alot more lardmarks.

I got a look at the oil in action, 3-4FGh where attacking a tower in emain, the tower seemed to have a few defenders (fg max), but even with the impressive damage from the oil, the gate fell fast and the hibs moved in.

Found a few selection / visual bugs, eg. I couldnt select a keep door, couldnt see some of the teleport stones, and a few names appeared in the wrong colours, all of these seem to have been covered earlier in the thread tho.

The first thing I found that I didnt like was the 'combat noise' (eg. the added shouting and punching sounds that appear when a fight errupts), I understand how others might like it but I found it annoying. I wish there was an option to turn it off/down (I couldnt see a way, had music and ambient music turned off), but this is only a very minor thing.

Got a look at the warship, will be interesting to be in a sea battle :)

Overall I really enjoyed It, cant wait for it to go live so I can join up with a few guild mates and begin farming :)

Andrilyn

Can't get enough of FH
Really like NF, played around a bit in all 3 realms making various characters and I don't see why people say tanks suck because they sure didn't seem to suck when I was playing there.
Like the boats and the people who don't know you can /disembark any time instead of just riding along till the end, made loads of rp's by spamming shrooms at the end of the alb boat ride near crauchon as they seemed to not know they could jump off instead of waiting to be dropped right into a shroom field :)

Though I haven't been able to see an actual relic raid (don't think anyone tried one yet) but some say theres a special ritual you need to preform to get a relic now?
But anyway I enjoyed it alot and it didn't seem to lag that much like people were saying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom