Networking Laptop to Win2000..

S

S-Gray

Question One

As i have said in a Previous Thread, i just got my Old Toshiba T4850CT out, and wanna try Networking it again.
It has a PCMCIA Card already installed and its connected to my 5port Hub.
Its on Windows '98 SE btw.

Right, my Main Computer is Win2000 Pro, its set itself up for Networking, this works coz my secondary computer can "see" it, so obviously its down to the Laptop.
Because its been a while since i setup this Laptop for Networking (bout 2years) i've kinda forgot what to do exactly. Where do i go to set it up so my other comps can see it?

Question Two

Right, i done this when my Main Computer was on Windows '98, that was to make all the Computers on meh Network access the Internet. Only problem is everything is so very different from the setting in Windows '98 so where do i go? I used ICS when on Win98 but cant seem to find it on Win2000...

Help? lol

O

old.blackcow

Im not sure exactly what causes it, but i think its NTFS...

If your win2kpro install is running on NTFS, you will not be able to access it through network neighbourhood. You should however still be able to ping it and use other services etc.

As for configuring win98se, it really depends on how you expect your network to run, and how your win2k machine is currently configured.

As for your question on sharing internet access, i've always used winroute lite. It's bigger brother is ( pro version ) is harder to configure and maintain, but has some added features such as firewall and bandwidth management ( i think :) )

Winroute lite is available from here

F

FuZor

Sorry but that is BULLSHIT! NTFS DOES NOT AFFECT 98 or any other windows OS :p
You can share folders Hard Disks the lot :rolleyes:

The network protocol IPX or whatever u are using takes care of this!

Now to get internet sharing is a PIECE OF PISS on 2000! right click on your internet connection in 'network and dial up connections', go to 'sharing tab', and click 'use ics'! :)

If you need to modify network settings you can also to this by right clicking on yout 'Local Area Connection' also found in 'network and dial up connections'

If u need more network connections then simply double left click 'make new connection' also found in 'network and dial up connections'

'network and dial up connections'
Can be found in start up menu>Settings ;) :D

SORTED :cool:

PS: Start Menu is found bottom left! ;) enjoy man

S

S-Gray

yeah i went on the net and found how to do that, but i found that theres problems with my Laptop, no matter what proticals i put in, it just wont get found by the other comp.

and i notice the lil lights on the network extender thingy for my laptop doesnt light up.

so i thinkin theres no connection been made..

O

old.blackcow

Originally posted by Quicksolv
The network protocol IPX or whatever u are using takes care of this!

:eek: did you just say IPX ?!

F

FuZor

1. For gaming networks use IPX
2. If not use Netbeui or Net Bios both machines need the same protocol

3. Ensure your 98 Lappy is working! ;)
4. Ensure your cables are working! ;)

5. Make SURE you have installed Cient for microsoft networks, file and printer sharing installed in protocols :)

ALSO set up a shared folder somewhere...

S

S-Gray

well i had the laptop networked a while back, it was a Win98 to Win98 Network so i am 70% certain it still is

B

Big G

super_gray, here is a LAN in a nutshell to your requirements:

You need to make sure you've done the following. All the PC's on the network (laptop, your win2k box and "other" pc) should all be part of the same workgroup for them to "see" one another. Make it something simple like "WORKGROUP" or "LAN". Each PC will have a name. Call them something relevant like "laptop" and "win2kbox". Make sure "client for microsoft networks" protocol is installed on the machine with win98.

You then need to assign IP addresses to each PC.

Since the win2k box is going to be the one connected to the internet, it'll be the gateway and it'll need to be assigned the private IP address 192.168.0.1. The others will be 192.168.0.2, 192.168.0.3 and so on. In addition to this, the subnet for this network will be 255.255.255.0 (class C IP addresses).

Once you've setup all the machines with the correct workgroup, IP address, name and subnet mask settings, all your PC's should "see" one another in network neighbourhood. IF you want to share stuff between them, all you do is right click on a folder and select "sharing". Once enabled, you can transfer files to this shared folder.

That's it basically.

Gaz

Users who are viewing this thread