WinXP vs. Win2000

S

S-Gray

Right, probably been posted a Zillion Times, but what do you people rate as the best? (Obviously you have played with both).

Whats the Advantages and Disadvantages of both these OS'?

Does one have better Hardware Support than the other?

I will be using it mostly for Games, FPS Games (Half Life, Battlefield etc) so which would be better?

Is there a difference in Internet Speeds with either?

Would it be safe to install and upgrade to SP1 ? (If you know what i mean <wink wink>)

Im gonna be fomatting soon, so its gonna be one or the other...

Just incase my Spec is:

Abit KG7 Raid
Athlon 1800+ (1.6GHz?)
Geforce3 Ti200
Soundblaster Live 5.1
Plus extras

F

FuZor

XP PROS: Built on 2000, Great Interface, Better compatability (In my experience with 9x programs), As fast if not faster than 2000, Built in firewall, IE 6, STABLE

XP CONS: Needs more power than 2000 to run nicely, Some problems with certain Hardware & Software (Software ones are easy fixes though at least compared to hardware!), Thats about it!

Both have similar Hardware support (now!)

Internet speeds for me are exactly the same, however I feel IE6 is a bit slower than 2000's IE 5! But I prefer IE6 :)

Safe to upgrade to SP1 unless you code begins with FGKCW (Or something like it I cant remember!!!!) SP1 is pretty useful as it contain loads of needed updates :D

looking at your specs, I think you will have no probs with XP, it will have all the drivers for your listed hardware already! (apart from RAID i'm not sure)

Anyway I rate XP better than 2000, and the fact you are a Gamer makes it the better choice I feel.:p

S

S-Gray

Your saying XP Pro? What about XP Home?

/Edit

Bugger, just looked thru my "Box o' Goodies" and noticed i do have XP Pro.. cept the serial number is "FGKCW xxxxx" :D

W

Will

I've not tried XP, so I can't really comment. But 2k is very easy to use, and I've had no problems with hardware or games yet.

M

Miles_Binck

XP Pro is a lot better mainly for the reasons stated by FuZor. It is also highly customisable, which imho works well in its favour.

It is safe to upgrade to XP SP1 even with a FCKGW key (Super_Gray, check pm :D )

I would recommend downloading all the current Windows Updates except SP1 (for obvious reasons), then after a little tweakage ;) install SP1. No hassle, no fuss.

K

kameleon

yo should have no probs running xp on that spec as i run it smoothly on a compaq deskpro pII350 machine with 160 mb of Ram. It runs a lot faster and smoother than Millenium did and it hasnt crashed on me once yet

T

TheJkWhoSaysNi

Whats wrong with a FCKGW key? is that a warez one? (if it is, if found out how to change my key from a warez one to a purchased one)

Anyway SP1 is difinately worth it, it more than halved my boot up time.

F

FuZor

Originally posted by Miles_Binck
XP Pro is a lot better mainly for the reasons stated by FuZor. It is also highly customisable, which imho works well in its favour.

It is safe to upgrade to XP SP1 even with a FCKGW key (Super_Gray, check pm :D )

I would recommend downloading all the current Windows Updates except SP1 (for obvious reasons), then after a little tweakage ;) install SP1. No hassle, no fuss.

Care to share with me the tweakage for SP1? ;)

Obviously for interest only :D

S

Scooba Da Bass

Originally posted by Super_Gray[SG]
Right, probably been posted a Zillion Times, but what do you people rate as the best? (Obviously you have played with both).

Whats the Advantages and Disadvantages of both these OS'?

I will be using it mostly for Games, FPS Games (Half Life, Battlefield etc) so which would be better?

Would it be safe to install and upgrade to SP1 ? (If you know what i mean <wink wink>)

Im gonna be fomatting soon, so its gonna be one or the other...

Just incase my Spec is:

Abit KG7 Raid
Athlon 1800+ (1.6GHz?)
Geforce3 Ti200
Soundblaster Live 5.1
Plus extras

Jesus, don't change your OS, you post enough with win2k

E

Embattle

Originally posted by Super_Gray[SG]

XP

XP/W2K

No

No

M

Miles_Binck

Originally posted by [UD] Devil
Whats wrong with a FCKGW key? is that a warez one? (if it is, if found out how to change my key from a warez one to a purchased one)

Anyway SP1 is difinately worth it, it more than halved my boot up time.

The FCKGW key was the CD-Key for the first final build release of Windows XP Pro that didnt require activation with Micro$oft. It is/was affectionately known as the DevilsOwn release of Windows XP.
If my memory serves me correctly it was originally a Volume License Key (same key could be used on a large amount of seperate XP installs) for one of MS's huge corporate lackeys, but it was leaked and is used on about 60 - 70% of all Warez Versions of Windows XP.

@FuZor: Out of interest check your PM's

S

S-Gray

Hmm, i installed WindowsXP, went in good, but then my internet died, then other programs died, so i got pissed off and installed Win2000 again...

Im staying away from XP for a very long time now :eek:

Fluckin Problems :/

F

FuZor

Did you Upgrade or Clean Install?

If you upgraded thats why, if you clean installed then did you

a) Install All Drivers especially M/B
b) Patch Progams that were not running properly
c) Use windows update
d) Install SP1

;)

S

S-Gray

I had an incling that Norton fucked it up... (Norton AV2002) i updated it and after i reset nothing worked..

I couldnt use Windows Update etc coz i have a feeling you nee to be connected to the net to do so..

E

Embattle

Originally posted by PR.
newb...

:p

Naaa......thats just SG for you ;)

Doing an upgrade on top of W2K is the 2nd least stable way to install it ;)

T

Testin da Cable

you shouldn't 'upgrade' imo. clean install all the way baby!

S

S-Gray

No No, i didnt do a Upgrade, it was a Clean Install

S

S-Gray

Cor just had a Problem on Win2000 ive never heard or seen before.

I installed DirectX 8.1, reset my computer, and just as Windows was gonna load back in, it gave me this Error:

Stop: c000026c {Unable to loaded Device} \systemroot\system32\drivers\<driver>.sys Device Driver could not be loaded

I reset the Computer Several times, even tried to go into Safe Mode but it gave me that Error there too! :eek6:

So i was left where i couldnt gain access to anything, i went to the Advanced Options of Windows2000 and selected "Last Known Fix" thinking it would go back to the last known working System, so i reset but again it gave me the error above.

So, i put my Win2000 CD into the CD Rom, and found the Repair Area, after i Repaired that it worked, but Programs had to be Reinstalled, like Microsoft office and Norton AV.

Ah well.. sorted now.. did it on my own inititive too yay! :clap:

E

Embattle

TBH I've known few people who manage to have as many problems as you.

S

Sawtooth

I have XP (home) and its okay for what I want to do. My sons got win2000pro and there little difference in terms of stability etc.

I like XP cos its a bit more warm and cuddly than 2000.

Users who are viewing this thread