Networking in win 2000

H

Happy Go Lucky

I set up my LAN with a hub. One of my machines is a win xp which I can use network wizard for setting up my network.

However I don't know how to use the wizard in windows 2000

Tell me if you want more information. I've looked every where to learn how to do it, pls help?

T

Testin da Cable

networking 101: never use wizards, for they are stupid and make me angry*

what is it exactly you are trying to do? set up an IPnumber? set up shares, or a shared printer? getting the machines to "see" each other?

in XP you van view, as administrator, the properties of your network interfaces, install and configure things like IP from the control panel > network interfaces iirc
in 2K right-click network neighborhood and choose properties. from there it's more or less the same interface.

*really bad LotR pun

H

Happy Go Lucky

Basically, getting the computers to see each other,
so I can share the printer, possibly files. Playing games over the LAN would be nice too.

There is no network neighbourhood only network places. When I right click-> properties I can see network & dial up connections with my dailup connection, my LAN and make new connection.

I clicked on the option on the side to add network components and installed them, (install printer & file & IP sharing). Tho I still don't know how to use them.

Do I need to map network drive..? if so it asks for a folder. When I right click my LAN it says all components are used by the connection, but when I click on install it asks for discs and stuff I don't understand.

P

Panda On Smack

From my experience its a good idea* to create the user account for each machine on all the other machines for sharing purposes

* Maybe its not a good idea?

H

Happy Go Lucky

I am the administrator on the win2k, as I am the only one that uses it there are no users set up.

I think you have to be logged on as administrator to set up the network.

T

Testin da Cable

Originally posted by Happy Go Lucky
Basically, getting the computers to see each other,
so I can share the printer, possibly files. Playing games over the LAN would be nice too.

There is no network neighbourhood only network places. When I right click-> properties I can see network & dial up connections with my dailup connection, my LAN and make new connection.

I clicked on the option on the side to add network components and installed them, (install printer & file & IP sharing). Tho I still don't know how to use them.

Do I need to map network drive..? if so it asks for a folder. When I right click my LAN it says all components are used by the connection, but when I click on install it asks for discs and stuff I don't understand.

hmm, if you have a network card installed, you should be able to see it and pull it's properties up. if you can do that you can see/install things like tcp/ip. in the properties of that you can inupt IP stuff that, once installed/configured on both computers, should allow them to "see" each other.
give computerA an IPnumber like 10.0.0.10 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and computerB 10.0.0.20 with the same subnet mask. once this is done (may involve a reboot) you can start up a dos box by going to start>run and typing "cmd" and pressing OK or whatever. then on computerA you can type "ping 10.0.0.20" and should get a reply.

once this all is done you should be able to get the computers to interact without much trouble. please be aware that it's not really a good idea to be logged in as administrator all the time. I know it's the easiest thing usually on windows but you really should make a non-administrator user for daily use, only using the superuser to install programmes or to make changes to your setup. be aware that if you are logged in as administrator and something bad, like a virus (not really unknown on windows) becomes active your computer will most likely be trashed, whereas if you're logged in as a nonpriviledged user you may "just" lose a few files. if you have no choice but to run as administrator, due to a program being badly coded perhaps and unwilling to run as a non-superuser, then please run things like firewalls and keep your virus scanner up to date on a daily basis.

D

djpringle

You may have already done this but it is still one of the main reasons why I have networking problems...

Have you made sure your computers workgroups are the same?

In XP this is in system properties - computer name (windows key + break brings it up quick) and you can set it via the Change... button.

As for Win2K it's in Control panel - system - network identification - properties

Make sure the workgroup names are exactly the same.

M

mookie

this is a hijack!

<hijack>

while we're on the subject, is there any way in winXP pro to disable all shares on the local machine, apart from the default ones? my little bro is getting a little *too* nosey.

</hijack>

F

FatBusinessman

Well, the simplest way to do it is to go into your network properties, and disable the check box for "File and print sharing". This will, however, prevent you from sharing anything at all, even if you want to.

I think the only other way is to go through everything you've got shared and untick the "Share this folder" button. You can probably find out what's shared by accessing your computer through the "Network Neighborhood" menu.

Users who are viewing this thread