Linux networking.

P

PR.

Ok, so I'm giving Mandrake another chance.

All seemed ok, but the network adapter doesn't seem to be installed. Its an nforce2 shuttle built in thing. Mandrake can see what it is but it doesn't want to do anything with it :(

I've gone through all the graphical bits and it sees the NIC but configuring it justs sends you in a loop. (Auto-Detect > What do you want to setup > LAN > Is this nforce2 NIC your only NIC? > Yes > What do you want to setup > etc etc)

I installed some RPM drivers off of the nvidia website (which I managed to transfer via a flash card which Mandrake recognised but made no effort in telling me were I could access it)

What am I doing wrong? :(

Thanks

L

LTF

I've got a Mandrake box setup at work which i play with when i get a few spare minutes here and there.

Trouble is its so time consuming trying to make the transition from windows, i don't think i'll ever *get* linux :(

T

Testin da Cable

lol lazy biznitches :)

I'd advise doing a google with the name of the chip that controls the network interface of the nforce2. isn't it a broadcom of some sort? look in the booklet that comes with your mobo to find it. if it's not there look on the mobo's manufacturer's site.
the linux kernel *may* support it, but perhaps there's a module to load or an option to be compiled in.
I may shout that unix/linux is easy but you'll never hear me say that it does everything by itself :)

NOTE: as of tomorrow afternoon I'll have my new poota. it also has an nForce2 based mobo. perhaps I'll be extra nice and let you know how I fare in setting up a linux on it :) don't touch that dial!!

W

Will

I read somewhere that the nForce networking is supported in more recent versions of the kernel, but I can't find the link for whatever reason.

And I can't help with rpm-based installs, but the nVidia page seems to have a pretty comprehensive readme.

P

PR.

Oh it knows that theres a network card, it can see it its some nforce2 ethernet MCP something something... It just won't use it.

I downloaded the nforce2 linux drivers off the nvidia website it was an RPM file which I ran and Linux just kinda did something but showed no visual clues that it had other than when I ran it again it told me the application was already installed. A reboot later and still dead :(

W

Will

rpms aer for teh mimes

Is that what you meant?;)

L

LTF

Originally posted by Testin da Cable

I may shout that unix/linux is easy but you'll never hear me say that it does everything by itself :)

Are you born and bred unix then, or did you make the 'transition'?

*bow* :(

T

Testin da Cable

Originally posted by Will.
rpms aer for teh mimes

Is that what you meant?;)

well, yeah. that's what I meant :)

and d0nk3h, I made the transition one fine night in 1998 after windowsNT had made me so mad I wanted to fly to redmond to personally brain Bill Gates with a rusty iron pipe for inflicting so much unwanted suffering on me

D

Deadmanwalking

PR. i had exact same prob with rh9 a few things u can try..

insmod nvnet

That should work.. if not go to the folder where u rpmed the nvnet bit and find the nvnetlib.o file rename it to nvnet.o.

Then retry insmod nvnet

If you have done that or before that it says something like
"The module u are trying to install is compiled using gcc 2 while the kernel u are using is compiled using gcc 3, This is a known problem"

in that case it means the nvidia drivers are old as the site says it only supported rh 8. In my case i got the source code for the drivers and recompiled em using the latest gcc and kernel shite :p

Itr worked.

If you have the above prob try searching the net for the updated drivers.

Hope that all made sense :)

GL

D

Deadmanwalking

start by typing into a terminal

insmod nvnet

post uere what happens :)

Users who are viewing this thread