Netflix now banning people who use VPN's etc

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I don't have many people on FH on ignore but even though I can only see half this thread, it confirms that I made the right choices.

Luckily we're blessed with such a magnificent being who comes to a thread only to tell others he has people on ignore, while simultaneously defeating the meaning of the word "ignore" :cautious:

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Bad move from Netflix. It seems to have created a disturbance in the force, resulting in people getting sand in their vaginas about wrestling, Santa Claus, Plex and the English language.

Boo Netflix. Boo.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Bad move from Netflix. It seems to have created a disturbance in the force, resulting in people getting sand in their vaginas about wrestling, Santa Claus, Plex and the English language.

Boo Netflix. Boo.

Vagina + Wrestling mmmm, muscle babes?

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Surely this is pretty much saying 'yeah, we know they're doing it, but we aint doing shit about it'

So therefore they could get taken to court?

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
They are blocking the VPNs which is all they can really do.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
mmm, Hola isn't a VPN but it swaps VPNs Hence the "not working, find another" button

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
And torrent still soldiers on..with no adverts..and the latest movies.
People actually still buy music when it's there for free on youtube..
Does netflix have adverts?

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
mmm, Hola isn't a VPN but it swaps VPNs Hence the "not working, find another" button

Lots of VPNs do that. HMA runs loads of IPs in rotation, its just the difference is it gives you control over which one you use. If they wanted to, Netflix could employ tools to stamp on these (as the BBC do*), but they've clearly made a concious decision not to.

(*an ultimately pointless exercise, except inasmuch as the BBC can show politicians and they're at least making the effort if some tabloid bitches about foreigners watching the Beeb for free).

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
And torrent still soldiers on..with no adverts..and the latest movies.
People actually still buy music when it's there for free on youtube..
Does netflix have adverts?

No website has adverts.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
That's my sub cancelled then. There is fuck all on the UK version.

Job

Kodi not affected...in case you were wondering.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Kodi not affected...in case you were wondering.

I would prefer that those offering legal ways to watch content went forward instead of back. I would prefer not to pirate anything but the backwards movie/tv industry only seem to be making legal access harder. I would quite happily pay a cinema ticket price to watch the latest film at home for example...but they won't let me.

Take games as an example, a massive amount of options to buy games online. I haven't pirated a game in years, HL2 was the last game I pirated (and then bought anyway!) I would love to be able to say the same about films/TV

I understand there are issues with distributors but they really need to think about working together to allow legal, pay-per-view access to the material.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Ofc the ridiculous licensing schemes don't fuel piracy in the slightest, and industry executives never leak their own content. This is a fairly large step back tbh.

Job

It's painful, Kodi has 1000's time more content, searching is a doddle...everythings there a few hours after broadcast with no adverts...meet us in the middle...don't nail the people who pay down even more.

DaGaffer

Ofc the ridiculous licensing schemes don't fuel piracy in the slightest, and industry executives never leak their own content. This is a fairly large step back tbh.

Fox/Warner/NBC International Syndication Sales Manager Walks into BBC/ITV/C4: "Here's our latest comedy about quirky twenty-somethings and their craazy lives. You'll love it. 10 million dollars please". BBC/ITV/C4 scheduling manager: "Saw it on US Netflix last night, and so did everyone else. I'll give you a tenner for it". Syndication Sales Manager, doesn't get his bonus, kicks the cat, tells his boss he can't sell shit anymore because everyone's seen it on Netflix already; Netlfix threatened with pulled shows for not doing something they were contractually obliged to do in the first place. And...scene.

Unfortunately we don't live in a single licence rights world, and its going to take decades to fix that (literally; in some areas like books licencees can have 25 year distribution licences). Of course Netflix could pay more to secure proper international first run rights, but they've got away with not doing that but getting the benefits for quite a while now, and like a lot of dotcoms, they are wont to blame the "old industries" for any problems that come up (see: Uber, AirBnB, many others), and by and large customers are only too happy to believe them. Me? I'm a bit more cynical; when I started out in online it seemed like people really were utopian about changing the way the world works and democratising how people paid, and got paid, but all too often its been about freeloading off others as much as possible while building a business that ultimately benefits a few rich guys, just different rich guys to the old rich guys

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
How dare you erode my vision of utopian internet bliss with your cold, cold logic and reason :eek:

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Fox/Warner/NBC International Syndication Sales Manager Walks into BBC/ITV/C4: "Here's our latest comedy about quirky twenty-somethings and their craazy lives. You'll love it. 10 million dollars please". BBC/ITV/C4 scheduling manager: "Saw it on US Netflix last night, and so did everyone else. I'll give you a tenner for it". Syndication Sales Manager, doesn't get his bonus, kicks the cat, tells his boss he can't sell shit anymore because everyone's seen it on Netflix already; Netlfix threatened with pulled shows for not doing something they were contractually obliged to do in the first place. And...scene.

Unfortunately we don't live in a single licence rights world, and its going to take decades to fix that (literally; in some areas like books licencees can have 25 year distribution licences). Of course Netflix could pay more to secure proper international first run rights, but they've got away with not doing that but getting the benefits for quite a while now, and like a lot of dotcoms, they are wont to blame the "old industries" for any problems that come up (see: Uber, AirBnB, many others), and by and large customers are only too happy to believe them. Me? I'm a bit more cynical; when I started out in online it seemed like people really were utopian about changing the way the world works and democratising how people paid, and got paid, but all too often its been about freeloading off others as much as possible while building a business that ultimately benefits a few rich guys, just different rich guys to the old rich guys

Its happening without them (them = the industry as a whole) Like anyone I can watch whatever I like, whenever I like on any device I like and there is absolutely nothing they can do about it. It is up to the entire industry to sit together and come up with a solution, rights holders, network chiefs, whoever because the only loser in this is them (the industry).

Even if 10% of pirates switched to proper pay-per-view there would be plenty of gravy to go around.

Even my mum watches pirate TV and she reads Country Living magazine ffs

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
The 'Industry' competes for those that don't torrent, and that's why content is shit because they scrimp and save in order to get the tiniest bit more than the competitors.

As @Raven says, if they actually had tried to think of ways to get people from stop pirating, then they'd make more money.

It's a bit like having expensive trains and then questioning why they're not always full.

Does anyone know if you have to have a TV licence to use the Amazon Firestick thing?

DaGaffer

The 'Industry' competes for those that don't torrent, and that's why content is shit because they scrimp and save in order to get the tiniest bit more than the competitors.

As @Raven says, if they actually had tried to think of ways to get people from stop pirating, then they'd make more money.

It's a bit like having expensive trains and then questioning why they're not always full.

Does anyone know if you have to have a TV licence to use the Amazon Firestick thing?

They do think of ways to stop pirating; some of those ways include turning a blind eye to Netflix' laissez faire attitude towards geoblocking, and it works; a few years ago there were no legitimate online pay tv services, now there are several; but broadcast TV deals are still their bread and butter, and will remain so for longer than a lot of us expected, so they have to protect their market. Most of them will have made the calculation that the Netflix' bigger international markets now have enough content to stand on their own without leaching off US access (Netflix will almost certainly have data to back this) and now that Netflix is actually creating more and more of its own stuff it means they also own their own distribution. When Netflix thought blocking US access would hurt them, they made it easy to circumvent their blocks, now, they think it won't really hurt them, and they're probably right.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
I understand there are issues with distributors but they really need to think about working together to allow legal, pay-per-view access to the material.

No there aren't any issues with the distributors. The issues ARE the distributors, or rather the entire fucking industry still thinking they live in the 70s and 80s....

These morons are so horribly conservative in their thinking it wouldn't surprise me at all if they still opposed the use of fire....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom